Smith and Wesson serial number search

Laytonj1

You are correct on the model 36 date. I did not see enough numbers so early in the morning. Sorry GrehoundDrvr for the misinformation.
And thanks laytonj1 for correcting my mistake. JA

new to the forum and the new owner...

...of a vintage S&W lemon sqeezer. since it has a short serial number 35XXX, i anticipate a production date prior to 1895. cant wait to get it out on the firing line.
Any closer estimate on date?

any suggestions on a source for replacement grips: looking to upgrade from the rubber to the mother of pearl if possible.

thanks in advance for any thoughts.

S&W lemon sqeezer. since it has a short serial number 35XXX, i anticipate a production date prior to 1895
You did not mention caliber.
If it's a 32 then it's a 32 Safety Hammerless 1st Model. Serial numbers ran from 1 in 1888 to 91417 in 1902. To narrow down a little, SN 53252 was made in Aug. 1894.

If it's a 38 then it's a 38 Safety Hammerless 2nd model. Serial numbers ran from 5251 in 1887 to 42483 in 1890.

Either way, looks like pre 1895.

Can't help you on the grips.

Jim

I'm hoping someone can help me with the years for two S&W revolvers I own.

Model 19-4: 47K0xxx
Model 25-5: N678xxx

Thanks in adavnce.

S&W Model 10-5

A cousin in Alaska wants to give me a nickel plated S&W 38 Special Model 10-5 with a pinned barrel. The serial number is D425xxx. However, I'm in California and my local gun dealer tells me that versions of that model which are newer than 50 years old cannot be imported to CA from out of state; if it was manufactured prior to 1965 then it can be imported as an antique/curio. Can anyone tell me the date of birth of this weapon, so I can accept this gracious gift?

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response, Sevens. Yes, the State wins this one; too bad as I was looking forward to having a nice gun to shoot :( Perhaps I can convince my cousin to find something in his large collection that is on the CA compliant list! ;)

Well...
The revolver in question, the classic S&W K-frame .38 Special is -the- most produced single model handgun in history. It is suggested that some six million have been made. I wouldn't even consider myself a "collector" and I own three of them that would qualify as older than 50yrs old.

They are certainly out there, so keep pushin' him! ;)

Thanks, Sevens. What I didn't say is that I owned a S&W Model 10 from back in the early 60s that was a well used, but fine functioning example. It had been a Navy pilot's (from my ship) personal survival pistol that he sold to me for $15, yes $15! That included several hundred rounds of ammo including tracer rounds, all of which I shot up out in the boonies in the San Diego area. In the 70s we had a home burglary in WA State, and along with electronics, etc. the gun was taken. I'm now back in CA and the 1972 pistol that my cousin was offering to send here was to make up for that early loss, but as you indicated, that particular example is "too new" to be allowed as an antique. He is currently looking through his collection to see what other brand/model he might be willing to part with that could be CA compliant...a nice 1911 would be a good substitute, just sayin' :D

Identify of year for a S&W .32 Long Pistol

I have a Smith and Wesson .32 Long Pistol, 6 shot revolver. two inch barrel, curved wood grips. Serial Number 810064. Does someone have a way to lookup the date of origin on this .32 revolver?

Regards,
cgpeake
cgpeake1@gmail.com

S&W M&P from late 1930s or early 1940s?

I have inherited what appears to be an early S&W M&P .38 revolver. The note with it from my father (who is now gone) says that it was purchased by my grandfather before he went off to WW2, in the late 30s or early 40s.

The serial is C53XXX

It's possible that this is a different pistol than referenced in the note.

Any idea if the serial could or couldn't match the time frame in the note?

Thanks for any assistance!

pre-war 38/44, N frame. Serial number N58541.
You sure about that serial number? That would date it to around 1970. Take the serial number from the underside of the grip frame. A pre war would not have a letter prefix.

Pre war 38/44 Outdoorsman SN's ran from 38939 in 1931 to 62077 in 1941.

Jim

Back