Smith and Wesson serial number search

Thanks to all with the info and time. Two Model 10s Dates Please?

10-7 2" square 3D617xx

10-5 square frame basis for my old PPC 2D038xx

Mike

Last nite I picked up my new to me Model 19-3 serial # 9K16488. Like new in box w/ papers. Doesn't have the diamond cut insert stocks. All I can find is after 1968 and pre-1976? Born on date??

My book shows 9K1001-9K99999 is all 1976. Not before, not after, but 1976.

If it's like new and in the box with the papers and goodies, maybe you can justify the $50 for a Roy Jinks letter? I find the letter to be fascinating, not for the specific date quite so much, but especially for the part where he tells you where Smith & Wesson shipped the gun. I think that is really very cool.

Hello Everyone!

I have what I think is a S&W Model 19 .357 with a 2 1/2 barrel that I bought second hand in the mid 70's. Serial # 5K721XX. Can you tell me if it is a Model 19?

Thanks!

Serial number says it is a 1973 build date. For a gun of that vintage, the model number should be stamped on the frame where the yoke (which holds the cylinder and swings out) meets the frame when the cylinder is closed.

It should say Model 19-3.

Okay, thanks! I can see now where it says "Mod 19-3" So, I guess it is a 3 inch model. I don't get how it is a 3" since I've measured it several times and never even come close to 3". More like 2 3/8" actual.

Haha, no, the dash-3 does not reference barrel length. The dash-3 denotes an engineering change where S&W elected to call it a slightly different version than the previous version.

Engineering changes (dash numbers as we call them) simply do NOT fit any rigid system, S&W tends to change them when they wish and often not following precedent. Sometimes it is a head-scratcher. However, if you know a particular gun is a "model 19-3" then there are certain things associated with 19-3's that you can count on being evident on the revolver in question.

Barrel length? Measure from the muzzle to the rearmost barrel that comes through the frame and meets the cylinder, that is your barrel length. 2.5" was available on the 19-3.

I picked one up today

It's a Combat Masterpiece. Model 15-3 serial number K877923. Anybody here tell me old it is? Came with the box. Looks to have lots of holster wear. It's tight and the trigger is nice and smooth on the DA really crisp on the SA

1905 4th change HE SN help

Hi guys
I have another early inheritance from Pops
SN # 269xxx
Any help would be much appreciated!

9F2CCC83-3908-420A-9D6C-9B5B4494205A_zpsm8yyu5iy.jpg

Kev, on your 269xxx, I can only offer that:

241xxx shipped in 1915
290xxx shipped in 1918
357xxx shipped in 1921

Each of these dates comes from a factory letter.
We need to build a database of just simply these numbers and dates.

Sevens
Thank you old friend!
I'll take a stab at 1916 ish maybe on this one.
It's funny that WW1 didn't affect firearm production like it did in WW2

Can anyone help me with year?

I have a S&W Model 13-1, the number on the butt frame is 3D16xxx
the only other numbers I can see are E4 28118 and 4404.

Thanks for the help.

Model 10-5

can anyone help with this one.

Model 10-5. SN C736xxx. 6" barrel.

This was purchased with the original box and the paperwork, cleaning kit, and wax paper the gun was wrapped in when new.

The blueing is near flawless, no noticeable wear marks or scratches. It has a slight drag line from the cylinder but I cannot tell that it was ever fired. The square butt grips show no wear. This one is super clean. I don't know if it is I titled to the term "mint" but it's really close.

I am looking for manufacture date as well as approximate value. I am going to entertain selling it if I can make a few bucks. Thanks in advance.

Live Free

Live Free

The 10-5 looks to be 1963-1965. Sorry my SCSW does not get any closer than that.
C622700-C810532 = 1963-1965

Your gun sounds like a real beauty. Please post some pics in the revolver forum and show her off. JA

Back