Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi everyone. I have been a member here for about a year but I have never posted. I have learned a lot from this forum - including the guide to used revolvers.

Which bring me to my question. I have purchased my first revolver - a Model 29 (29-3) w/6" barrel. It is extremely clean and I was told that it was more of a Safe Gun rather than a Range Gun. Which I can understand with this model. I plan on purchasing the Smith and Wesson Bible but like a kid with a new toy, I cannot wait to know when my gun was made.

The serial number is AUC43XX.

I thank you in advance.

Joe

# BPN4xxx
Late 1993 / early 94.
As for +P, the 442 is an aluminum frame. It wasn't till 1996 (with the 442-1) that S&W beefed up the frame to regularly handle +P. While it's not going to blow up, I would limit use of +P to minimum.

Jim

How old are these guns?
S/N 69244
S/N 15766
S&W reused the same serial numbers on different models up to about 1969. So, I'll need to know what the guns are that those serial numbers are attached to.
Chambering, 5 shot or 6 shot, barrel length or pictures work the best.
And remember to take the serial number from the underside of the frames grip butt and include any letter prefixes (if they have one). See picture of SN location on post #6206 on previous page.

Jim

Age of pistols

69244 is six-shot revolver with 32 W.CF. CTG stamped on left side of barrel. Last patent date is Sept 14. 09. Barrel approx 5" long. S/N has no letters.

15766 is a five-shot revolver with no #s except serial. Barrel is approx 2" long. S/N has no letters.

View attachment 90478

View attachment 90479

Last edited by a moderator:
69244 is six-shot revolver with 32 W.CF. CTG stamped on left side of barrel. Last patent date is Sept 14. 09. Barrel approx 5" long. S/N has no letters.
.32-20 Hand Ejector Model of 1905, 4th Change.
Serial numbers ran from 65701 in 1915 to 144684 in 1940.
Heat treating of the cylinder began in 1920 at SN. 81287.

15766 is a five-shot revolver with no #s except serial. Barrel is approx 2" long. S/N has no letters.
.32 Single Action (Model One and a Half Centerfire).
Serial numbers ran from 1 in 1878 to 97574 in 1892.

Pictures helped a lot!
Jim

.32-20 & .32

Any idea how much either of my pistols is worth? I wouldn't sell the .32-20. It was my father's and I've had it re-nickled, which probably drives down its value anyhow.
Thanks for all the info. Very much appreciated!

Wow, this is an amazing thread!

I was taking a closer look at my grandfather's .38 S&W. I thought it was a M-10, but it appears to be much older. I think it's a .38 spl M&P 1905 with four screws on the sideplate and one where the trigger guard meets the frame. It has a square butt, wood checkered grips (they cover one screw) with a small, flush brass medallion near the top of the grips. The finish is nickel and the barrel is 5". The front sight is a half moon, but they all appear that way as far as I know. The serial number starts with 253.

An approx. year of manufacture would be much appreciated. I'd never sell it. I'm just curious. My grandfather lived though the Depression and was a constable and a coal miner in Ky.

Thanks for any help,

Don

Last edited:
laytonj1,

XXX. For six digits total.

Thanks for looking that up for me. 1916!! I am amazed. Sadly, he's passed and I'll never know how he came into possession of it. The grips are definitely not the original style. I'll have to search for some.

I took it apart once (not the sideplate) and the cylinder rod assembly was different than my M-10. It's stiff to eject the rounds. I probably mucked it up.:rolleyes:

Thanks again- you made my weekend,

Don

Last edited:
Can one of you experts tell me approximately what the age would be of a Model 10-8 with a serial number of AAY4xxx. I got it this weekend from Bud's.

Back