Smith and Wesson serial number search

My 95 year old Grandmother gave me yet another gun ...

My grandmother gave me a .32 cal double action pearl handled revolver (I think). When was this gun manufactured? The serial number is 458xxx

View attachment 90855

Thanks For Your Time,
Logan

Last edited by a moderator:
15-2 with the serial number K578xxx and a 25-2 marked N656xxx
K578xxx = 1964.
N656xxx = 1979/80.

My grandmother gave me a .32 cal double action pearl handled revolver (I think). When was this gun manufactured? The serial number is 458xxx
The 32 double action series ended in 1919 at serial number 327641.

If it's actually a 38 caliber then it would be a 4th model. SN's ran from 322701 in 1895 to 539000 in 1909.

29-5 with SN BFF4XXX

Jim

hey guys, let me run a brief description of my S&W by you:
It is a nickel plated k frame revolver sn#8536XX that # is on the cylinder under the barrel and on the bottom of the grips.
the barrel says "Smith & Wesson" on one side; "38 S. & W. CTG" on the other; and "Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass. U.S.A" "Patented Feb.6.06. Sept.14.09. Dec.29.14" in 2 lines on the top. the barrel is 5 inches long (from the cylinder), and has the half moon sight on the front.
the frame has the S&W emblem on the right side between the top of the grips and the cylinder (it is about an inch tall). but does not say made in usa or have any other markings on the frame. when the grips are on the gun there are 3 screws visible on the right side, one screw is hidden by the grips and there is another one at the front of the trigger guard.
I was told when i got the firearm that it was bought used in texas in 1956, and had sat in a drawer since then. the nickel is about 80%, but i suspect it was redone because the "Smith & Wesson" on the side of the barrel has less of an imprint with the "S" and the "N" than it does in the middle. also the trigger and hammer are nickel plated. at some point the cylinder was altered, it fits .38 special and .38 S&W cartridges.
from what i have seen on this thread i would guess it was a new police model, and based on the serial number likely the late 30's. Is that accurate? i realize it wouldn't have much of a collectors value with the alterations, but what would you guys put as a ballpark value on it? (I have $250 in it and was offered $300 by a guy at the range the day after i got it.)

It is a nickel plated k frame revolver sn#8536XX
1940/41 would be more likely. S&W would not nickel plate the trigger and hammer so the finish is aftermarket. Since the 38 S&W cartridge is larger in diameter than the 38 special, firing 38 special in that cylinder could result in split cases and or poor accuracy.
Based on the condition you've given I'd say take the $300 offer.

M66-4, 2.5", Serial # B9C32XX
The second digit "9" should be a letter, not number. That said, 1994 and 95 were the only two years 66-4's were produced with a "B" prefix serial number.

M&P with serial number 224538
Assuming it's chambered in 38 special and there was no letter prefix with the serial number then it's a 3rd model. SN's ran from 146900 in 1909 to 241703 in 1915.

Jim

K22

Can you tell me what year the K22 I recently purchased was manufactured? In the inside of the frame where newer guns have the model number, mine has the following: J,underneath this is 48380, underneath that is the number 2. On the butt is the serial number K 277381. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

I know this isn't a revolver, but this seems like the best place for my request.

Can Anyone tell me any info on my newly acquired S&W model 3913 s/n: VAV11XX

I bought it from a co-worker for 275.00 and he said he never shot it, or took it out of his safe. I put a couple hundred rounds through it last weekend and it seems to shoot great except for it ejects brass directly at my forehead. I ordered a whole spring kit from wolff gunsprings for it, maybe that will help.

S&W model 3913 s/n: VAV11XX

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson is incomplete as far as serial numbers for their semi autos go.
That said, the basic 3913 was made from 1989 to 1999 and the "V" prefix stated in 1994.
To get a closer date you would need to call S&W's customer service. They will give you the DOB over the phone for free.

Jim

Back