Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hello,

Would anyone be willing to look up this SN and have a possible value?

Model 36 Chief nickel snub

Thanks!

38spl_side_zpsf00493e2.jpg

38spl_barrel_zps71bcc300.jpg

38spl_SN_zps2af3d814.jpg

Grandad's .38 Special

I'm trying to find out any info on this old revolver. All we know about it, is my friend's grandfather won it in a poker game. I thought it was a "1905" but because of the V, I'm confused, as I seem to find mixed information. In the list of posted serials, I didn't see any V's other than the "victory" issues, but I'm just not sure.

The pistol is nickel plated, no adjustable rear sight, the rear sight has indentation that is painted green. Front sight is a ramp, has a section painted red. It has faux stag grips which I'm assuming are after market.

On the butt it's marked V 565740, inside the cylinder rim is marked P V and same serial. Serial is also under the barrel followed by a P. Behind the cylinder is stamped 23108 which I've learned from this thread is internal factory.

There is no model number stamped so I know it's before 1957, but I'm guessing the nickel job was done after the fact, I'd like to know the date of manufacture to determine was it pre-war, post-war, or indeed a "Victory" version.

Thanks in advance for your help, I know for a first post this was awfully damn wordy.

Serial numbers ran from V1 in 1942 to V811119 in 1945.
It basically is a 38 Military & Police 4th Change model of 1905 but during the war production shifted to the Military and given the "V" prefix for Victory. The ones shipped to the British will be chambered in 38 S&W vs 38 Special.

The nickel finish is not original.

Jim

Last edited:
Just got one of my grails a 52-2 SN A5237XX I'm guessing late 70s but would like to know. It's gut some honest wear but man is it a shooter.

K22 vintage help please?

K22, 4" bbl, ramp front sight, 4 screw frame

S/N: K3154xx

Help please with vintage?

Thanks - Sgt Lumpy

Thanks, Jim

Serial numbers ran from V1 in 1942 to V811119 in 1945.
It basically is a 38 Military & Police 4th Change model of 1905 but during the war production shifted to the Military and given the "V" prefix for Victory. The ones shipped to the British will be chambered in 38 S&W vs 38 Special.

The nickel finish is not original.

Jim

Thanks for the information and your time Jim.

S&W 686-4 6" barrel Stainless Steel 357 mag - date

Thanks if anyone can give me the manufacture date of my S&W revolver.
Mod 686-4 with 6" barrel in stainless steel.
CAJ314# By the way, I paid 650 total.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back