Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi folks,

Just found a nice little model 60 (.38 spl) in great condition for a very reasonable price. Serial number is R112xxx, curious how old it might be.

Thanks

Need DOB for 32 CTG long revolver serial number 335XXX
It could be one of two models depending on whether it has a round butt or square butt (see pic).
If it's a round butt it would be a 32 Hand Ejector 3rd Model made around 1921.
If a square butt then a 32 Regulation Police also made around 1921.

Jim

Model 3953... Want to find the year of production?

I am trying to find the year of manufacture for my Mod. 3953 the Serial # starts with VLN**** I'd also like to know it's estimated value. it's in mint condition, can anybody help me out? I'd certainly appreciate it.. :D

Last edited:
Mod. 3953 the Serial # starts with VLN****
Basic model 3953's were made from 1991 to 1999. Yours would be near the end of the production run (1997 on).
Looking at completed auctions on Gunbroker over the last three months, prices have ranged from $450 to $650.

Jim

Basic model 3953's were made from 1991 to 1999. Yours would be near the end of the production run (1997 on).
Looking at completed auctions on Gunbroker over the last three months, prices have ranged from $450 to $650.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I had no idea how old it is.. I am flirting with the thought of selling it, I really love it, its a 9mm tank that's for sure, problem is its so darn heavy, and for me and my financial well being that's just not convenient nor practical, I don't have the luxury of keeping it and just buying another pistol to carry instead, I need something lighter, because everytime I carry it, it practically brings my pants down. lol

I am thinking of getting a 9mm glock, or my brother just recently got a Sig Sauer P290 with crimson trace laser and I really liked it, I haven't shot it, but I held it and I like the feeling of it and I imagine its allot lighter to carry for EDC. any thoughts on this? pro's and con's?

any thoughts on this? pro's and con's?
I would suggest posting your question in the semi-auto forum were you would obtain a greater number responses from folks with experience on all the guns you asked about.

Jim

Hey guys, I'm hoping one of you can help me find the date of manufacture to my Model 66 .357.

Serial number: 4K198xx

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about guns in general and this was supposedly my uncles service weapon from around the 1970s (as I'm told). Can anyone confirm the date?

Thanks!

S&W Shotgun

I have a S&W Model 1000 12 Guage shotgun and wanted to know what year it was manufactured. The serial number is FS530XX.

S&W Revolvers & Autos: Born on Date Confirmation?

Hi All, new to the forum. Have a list that's partially compete but without a phone call to Smith I can't be sure. Some unknown some just want a second opinion.
Thanks

19-6 4 inch SN: BBM86xx
29-2 8 3/8 SN: N3450xx
59 (no dash) 4 inch SN:A3330xx
4506 (no dash) 5 inch SN: TCF87xx
686-4 6 inch SN: BPU20xx

I have a S&W Model 1000 12 Guage shotgun
No serial number data available for shotguns in the Standard Catalog of S&W. You might try calling S&W's customer service.

19-6 4 inch SN: BBM86xx
29-2 8 3/8 SN: N3450xx
59 (no dash) 4 inch SN:A3330xx
4506 (no dash) 5 inch SN: TCF87xx
686-4 6 inch SN: BPU20xx
19-6 4 inch SN: BBM86xx = 1988.
29-2 8 3/8 SN: N3450xx = 1975/76.
59 (no dash) 4 inch SN:A3330xx = 1976/77.
4506 (no dash) 5 inch SN: TCF87xx = 1988/89.
686-4 6 inch SN: BPU20xx = 1994.

Jim

S&W Model 14-3 Nickel

Trying to find out some info on my S&W Model 14-3. A gunsmith told me that Smith and Wesson nickel plated approximately 10% of their revolvers released in the early sixties. Mine is nickel plated, but I have no idea what year it was manufactured or if the nickel plating statement is true or not, so I thought I would consult the experts!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

S&W Model 14-3, nickel plated, 6-inch barrel
38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG. stamped on barrel
Serial number: 8K363xx

Last edited:
'69-70 model 10-5

The SN is dated but i have a different question. inside the arm where the cylinder swings out is a different set of numbers as well as 2 letters( X N) that look hand punched since they are off centered.
Both of the SNs are 92 xxx but they are different so i supposed the cylinder was replaced at one time. but whats with the xn? any guesses?

While the 10% nickel number is generally accepted it is not across the board for all models. Nickeled model 14's are rare.
If yours is original factory nickel it will likely have a "N" stamped on the side of the frames grip and on the back of the cylinder. In addition, the trigger, hammer and ejector star with not be plated.

Jim

The SN is dated but i have a different question. inside the arm where the cylinder swings out is a different set of numbers as well as 2 letters( X N) that look hand punched since they are off centered.
Both of the SNs are 92 xxx but they are different so i supposed the cylinder was replaced at one time. but whats with the xn? any guesses?
The serial number is on the underside of the frames grip butt.
The other numbers are assembly/inspector numbers that only S&W could decipher.

Jim

8K363xx

Jim, I took the grip off and did not find an "N" stamped, but instead I found a "C" and what appears to be a very faint "1" right after it...so "C1". There was also "A9" stamped and a number "2" at a 45 degree angle, off by itself from the other stamps. I didn't see anything on the back of the cylinder yet.

Back