Smith and Wesson serial number search

Jim, I took the grip off and did not find an "N" stamped, but instead I found a "C" and what appears to be a very faint "1" right after it...so "C1". There was also "A9" stamped and a number "2" at a 45 degree angle, off by itself from the other stamps. I didn't see anything on the back of the cylinder yet.

Yeah, it's likely its been refinished from blue to nickel.

Jim

8K363xx

I'm a little confused...you (Jim) posted a response to my post by "quoting" my serial number as 8k325xx in your second response to me, saying the model year was 1975. My serial number is 8K363xx, which you also said was 1975 in your first post. Was this just a typo or maybe you misquoted someone else's number?
And regarding the nickel plating...if it was refinished from blue to nickel would there by any sign of the blue left, anywhere on the gun? Under the grip or in the cylinder housing anywhere? Just curious...and thank you for your responses! :)

S&W 1917 .45 Information requested

.45 is unquestionably my favorite handgun caliber and I have lusted for one of these revolvers for many years. Last Friday I had the opportunity to pick one up inexpensively – it is not collectible quality having a few pits and some loss of bluing but it is in good shape as a shooter.

My first question is age – there are matching serial numbers of 168XX with an S off to the right-hand side. I don't have the book some of you have mentioned and hope someone will look this up and give me an approximate date of manufacture.

My understanding is that this would have originally had a lanyard ring which is not present. It seems as though the butt may have been replaced as I believe that I have seen that the original would have also had a serial number on the butt. Is this true? The existing metal on the butt of the revolver is perfectly plain with no serial number and no "tap hole" for the lanyard ring. Can one be secured and if so would it be worthwhile as serial number would not match and how difficult is it to install?

Finally, I intend to use this as a hideout, home protection gun next to my bed and wonder about ammunition. It seems to be a robust revolver and I think it would probably be okay with government issue, 230 grain hardball but wonder what others think and if someone has personal experience running powerful loads through this 90 to 100 year old revolver?

Alexcomp,

Pictures would help in this case. Serial numbers ran from 1 in Sep 1917 to 163600 in Jan 1919. There should be a serial number stamped on the underside on the grip butt as well as the lanyard ring. If not, the hole was likely filled in and the butt ground smooth. For an early example (below 42000 serial number) the initials GHS as well as US ARMY MODEL 1917 and US PROPERTY stamped on it. This is assuming the frame is original.
I would limit loads to standard factory pressure ammo. No hot loads, the gun is, after all, almost 100 years old.

Jim

S&W Snub nose

I have a nickel 32 long ctg that shows model marking 24T1
with serial# on curved butt of 1883XX

I would like to know model and age if someone could help out.

value would be nice too, but this has been in family a long time and sentimental value probably outweighs it.

Would be cool if had belonged to Elvis or something :-)

Also , what does the ctg actually stand for?

Thanks for any help yall can share.

George

Old 38 Special

Sorry but I have not been able to drum up the book you have been speaking about. The serial number I have found is 228xxx. There are several dates stamped on the barrel ranging from March 27, 1894 to Sept 14, 1909. All I know is that it was bought new by a family member (passed now) and passed down over the years. :)

Thank you for any assistance you can share on this.

I have a nickel 32 long ctg that shows model marking 24T1
with serial# on curved butt of 1883XX
32 Hand Ejector 5th Change.
Serial numbers ran from 102501 in 1910 to 263000 in 1917.
Value can range from $300 in good to $500 or more in excellent.
CTG = Cartridge.

The serial number I have found is 228xxx. There are several dates stamped on the barrel ranging from March 27, 1894 to Sept 14, 1909
38 Military & Police 3rd Change.
Serial numbers ran from 146900 in 1909 to 241703 in 1915.

Jim

Just recorded one with serial # BKZ5727. Inside the grip its stamped (41). Would this be the year of mfg?
5ynu9yry.jpg

Thank you

38 Military & Police 3rd Change. Serial numbers ran from 146900 in 1909 to 241703 in 1915.

Thank you for helping me out with this Jim. It has answered much for me and has allowed me to grasp the importance of this part of my family's history along with the part of American and firearm history I am now responsible for.

Again, thank you.

Mike :)

How about this one. Model 19-4. Pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. Serial number 43K9XXX. I would love to know even a little of this guns history. Thanks.

S&W 38 Special CTG Mod 10-7 Nickel

Hi, new to this forum! Was wondering about date if manufacture and value! Model 10-7 38 Special Ctg nickel
Ser# 6d25xxx
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Serial number 43K9XXX
Serial numbers ran from 25K0001 in 1978 to 56K9999 in 1979.
Production ran from 1955 to 1999. The -4 was the last engineering change to still have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder, it was deleted with the -5 series.

Ser# 6d25xxx
Depending on condition, with or without original box and accessories, value ranges from $300 to $500+.

Jim

Back