Smith and Wesson serial number search

Is anyone able to assist me in dating a gun that was passed down from my great grandfather? It is a Smith and Wesson, right side of the barrel says "32 Long CTC" and has a 6inch barrel I believe. Top of the barrel shows "Smith and Wesson, Springfield Mass." and has some patent dates, the last date is Feb. 6. 06

Serial # 1828xx

Thanks for the info. Looks like my 15-3 was born in 1972. Its like NIB; doesnt appear to have been fired much if at all. My dad let a good friend of his trade him out of a German Luger for it about 20 years ago. The 15-3 was a similar type gun to what he carried as a naviagator on a B 24 in WWII. His friend was a tank commander for Gen Patton and really wanted the Luger. The Luger was collected by my uncle who was in the infantry in WWII; he also got the dead german officer's field glasses which I still have.

Last edited:
serial # search for old S&W 38 CTG 6 "

Can anyone who has the "know it all book" on S&W give me an idea of the year for my old Police Special serial # 666xxx? Interestingly, stamped on the outer curve handle is: "Lowell Police Dept. 5", thanks, Steve.

It looks like I found the right place to find out some info on 2 S&W revolvers I was given many years ago. These belonged to a collector till he passed nearly 20 yrs. ago. One is a 3" barrel model 36 with a serial #266xxx. The other is a model 64, 4" barrel in the box with the brown paper, registration card and service center address paper, serial #D504xxx. This appears to not have been fired. I would like to find a value for both of these guns. What would be the most reliable method? Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Question

Hello All,

Will someone please let me know about the manufacture date of a S&W Model 500 revolver with the serial # CHW80XX? Thanks in advance for the information!

Model 36 no dash

Hi,

I just picked up a Model 36 4818xx. It has ramped cylinder release and diamond grips.

I think this places it around 1968 or so. The hammer has been bobbed and it is about 80% in grade.

I have heard various opinion's on whether you can shoot +P in this model.

Can some chime in on approximate value and +P safeness :)

Thanks, Marty

S&W Model 19-3

Anyone know when a S&W model 19-3, ser. 6K137xx was built?

[I posted a series of questions about this gun in the revolver forum including this question. I hope it's not a breech of etiquette to post the date question here, too.]

I bought 29-2 Blue 4" in the box NEW Cylinder never turned

I have just bought a 29-2 Blue 4" in wood box with all tools and papers NEW Cylinder never turned from the original owner.

That said, I cannot find any definitive list of 29-2 serial numbers, which is really odd to me. I have Colt, Winchester, Marlin, etc numbers but cannot find a S&W list that shows this number/date. I'vel looked in Standard Catalog and spase finding on 29-2.

Serial # is N429XXX

Can anyone help?

This old Vet thanks you,

Will
'69-'70

Last edited by a moderator:
I have received a hand me down 38 special serialized 6619XX. It is blued with a wood grip, fixed sights. 3 patent dates etched on the barrel starting I believe in 06 and ending in 14. Any ideas what model this is and when it was made? Thanks in advance guys! Also approximate value would be neat in case I need an insurance rider (unlikely I am guessing)

Back