Smith and Wesson serial number search

Question on S&W Model 650

I have A S&W Model 650 22 M.R.F. CTG 6-shot revolver that I was given to settle a debt. Wondering how bad i was had. Serial Number is "AFC3nnn". Can someone give me a ballpark. I know condition is important, finish is beautiful, no nicks or rub points, some light, surface scratches. I have no method of including a picture.

3 revolvers

Trying to date some family guns, thanks in advance.

4" stainless 686-3 - BEC14xx
Snubnose blued Model 36 - 758xx
Snubnose stainless Model 60 - 16Xxx (the third digit is actually "X")

Edit: Is shooting limited amounts of +P ammo ok in either or both of the 2 .38's?

Last edited:
4" stainless 686-3 - BEC14xx
Snubnose blued Model 36 - 758xx
Snubnose stainless Model 60 - 16Xxx (the third digit is actually "X")
BEC14xx = 1989.
On the 36 and 60 take the serial number from the underside of the grip butt. See pic.
Since they are both steel framed they are safe with +P.

Jim
swstandard.jpg

Serial number lookup help

Hi All,

I just purchased my first firearm and couldn't be more excited. It's a S&W Model 10 police trade-in, so I don't know anything about it besides the serial. Any info you all could offer would be much appreaciated. The serial is BKZ6xxx

Thank you all very much.

Picked up this one today

I believe this is 1989, if anyone can confirm this for me or help with anymore information it would be greatly appreciated. TIA

S&W 629 2-E SN BEE 55XX

Date of manufacture

A friend of mine passed away last year and his wife has asked me to sell his firearms. I am trying to determine the date of manufacture on one of them.

It is a S&W model 28-2 (highway patrolman) 357 mag.
Serial number is NZZ5517

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, this gun is in great shape so if you know a ballpark figure what it is worth that would be a bonus.
THANKS !!!!!!

Last edited:
serial is BKZ6xxx
The model 10 has been in continuous production since 1899 when it started life as the 38 Military & Police.

S&W 629 2-E SN BEE 55XX

Serial number is NZZ5517
I assume that to be N225517 as they did not use "Z".
The N200000 range ran from 1974 to 1977.
Value ranges from $450 well used to $700 in like new with box and paperwork.

Jim

Last edited:
My dads victory model

Hello, New to the forum. My dad was a police officer from 1940 - 1968. There is a couple of S&W revolvers in the safe. One he carried after he made detective in the early 50's. The victory model 38 spl 4" was given to him by a friends wife after the friend died. It has the serial number in all the usual places and it is V2436. There is the number 1267 stamped on the bottom of the butte's frame on the left side. On the right side bottom of the butt's frame it is stamped with a H 1 and also has a very small stamp of D8 in that location also. There is a plastic plug in the lanyard hole in the butte. It has been nickeled and is excellent condition. I know the value probably drops since someone probably had it nickeled. Can I get the date or some history of this old victory model?

The other one that he carried is an old model 36 chief serial number 8404. I think that one probably was about 1952 but not sure.

Thanks Jerry

identify SW Model 59

I have a SW Model 59, Serial A179xxx

If someone could tell me the exact model within the 59 series and when it was made would be very helpful.

TIA

That would be a Victory model made in 1942 for the military.
The nickel is not original and pretty much destroys it's collector value as does the lanyard loop hole being plugged.
S&W's production during WWII was limited to supplying the Military.
serial number 8404
That would be 1952. It should not be model marked.
How about a .357 Minnesota State Patrol XXX
450 made on the model 66 with a 4" barrel with shield on side and "State Patrol" on the frame.
SW Model 59, Serial A179xxx
If all it says is 59 then it is a standard 59. A 5906 would be stamped 5906 and so on.

Jim

Last edited:
Back