Smith and Wesson serial number search

Serial No. S818XX POST

To sgms Thanks so much, I have been trying for a week to get an answer on the web without paying. I am new to all this but am learning. Happy Holidays.

Identification Assistance

I was cleaning out a house recently, and stumbled upon these two S&W revolvers. The top one is a model 36-1, because that is stamped on the gun, the bottom one is the one I need help identifying.

The bottom is marked with a C then a bunch of space and then 41904. With the cylinder out there is a big 7, then 71363 below it. It looks kind of like a Model 10, but most of the pictures I've seen of a model 10 have more space between the end of the push rod and the end of the barrel.
Smith1.jpg

Smith2.jpg

Victory model. They were made during WWII for the Military. SN's ran from V1 in 1942 to V769000 in 1944.
It has a six digit serial # 178xxx
Not much to go on. S&W reused the same serial numbers on many different models of guns over the years.
Did you take the serial number from the bottom of the grip butt and include and letter prefixes, if any? See pic.
What caliber? How many rounds does it hold? Does it have a modern swing out cylinder or one that the barrel and cylinder tip down to load/unload?
swstandard.jpg

The bottom is marked with a C then a bunch of space and then 41904
38 Military & Police. SN's ran from C1 in 1948 to C223998 in 1951.

Jim

Victory Model .38

Thanks for the info on the serial #. I always assumed it was his service revolver in the local law enforcement from the '50's. Had no idea it was that old. What is the chance it was plated originally?

Thanks for the help on the old serial #'s Other than paying Smith and Wesson, is there a way to find out exactly when this gun was issued? I know form reading here a V12--- would be early in WW2, butthe more info the better.

Snafusnatcher, S&W model 13-2 began production 1977 ended 1982. By the number you gave your fathers is from 1980.

I wanted to thank you experts for helping out with the serial number search. Very cool of you guys.

My 686-3 has a serial number of BEJ59xx. About when do you think that would have been produced?

Back