Smith and Wesson serial number search

38 special serialized 6619XX
.38 Military & Police. SN dates to mid 1930's.
Value depends on condition and could range from less than $300 well used to $700 or more in like new condition.
model 20 S&W the serial number S 106xxx
It would be pre model 20 (38/44 Heavy Duty). S&W began model numbers in 1957.

Jim

We have an old Smith & Wesson revolver, looking for more info... We think it is a .38 3rd Model Frontier. Breaks open on top. Trigger guard is squared on one end. Serial number is 255405. Any info would be awesome!

Model and Age of S&W .357

I am attempting to determine the model number of my dad's old duty weapon he carried for many years as a police officer.

There is no model number in the normal location, like my other S&W revolvers.

It is a large frame. The serial number has a "C" stamped above it. The serial number is "189xx". In the ejector relief of the frame it is stamped "7s151"

Could anyone help me determine the model and age of this revolver?

Thanks,
Bill

S&W .22 revolver

I have inherited a pistol from my Great-grandfather. It is a Smith&Wesson
22 caliber, 7 shot fluted cylinder, double action with a 6" barrel. It is Nickel plated. The cylinder opens out to the side.
SN: 19(or 0)416. Can anyone tell me when it was manufactured? I suspect well before 1945 but really don't know. Or anything else about it.
Thanks

Iver Johnson 32 revolver

I also have a Iver Johnson, top break .32 caliber DA revolver; nickel plate; 5" long barrel; 5 round fluted cylinder is not free wheeling when at rest. Grip has ""IJ"" monogram with Owls Head facing grip. Patent dates: Aug 25'96 & Nov 17'08. SN: A86264
Does anyone know when this pistol was manufactured? I understand some early models used black powder rounds, so that the newer smokeless power ones can't be used. How would I know if I can use new ammo in this gun?
Any help is much appreciated.

Identify S&W Revolver

I recently inherited a 38 SW Special revolver from my father and can't determine the model. It is stamped with 535 3 on the frame and has a serial number S 88xxx . It looks like one of the MP 1905 models but has a shrouded extractor which doesn't look right for this model. Any help trying to identify it would be appreciated.

Got a response from another forum, this is a .38/44 Heavy Duty Mfg around 1952. Now I need to find some decent grips for it.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
We think it is a .38 3rd Model Frontier. Breaks open on top. Trigger guard is squared on one end. Serial number is 255405
Does it have an exposed hammer or is the hammer concealed? If it's a concealed hammer it will also have a grip safety.
The serial number has a "C" stamped above it. The serial number is "189xx". In the ejector relief of the frame it is stamped "7s151
See pic for serial number location:
swstandard.jpg

22 caliber, 7 shot fluted cylinder, double action with a 6" barrel. It is Nickel plated. The cylinder opens out to the side.
SN: 19(or 0)416.
It's a 22 Ladysmith.
Serial numbers for the 2nd model ran from 4576 in 1906 to 13950 in 1910.
Serial numbers for the 3rd model ran from 13951 in 1911 to 26154 in 1921.
Can't help you on the Iver Johnson

serial number S 88xxx
It's a 38/44 Heavy Duty model made in 1952.

Jim

Serial number question

I have what I think is a 32 short top loading double action Smith & Wesson.

The serial number on the butt of the handle is only 4 numbers long. It is 35xx.

I'm very interested in date of production.

32 short top loading double action
Since S&W reused the same serial numbers on different models back then I first need to figure out what model you have.
Does it have a concealed hammer or and exposed hammer with grip safety?

Jim

Hello all, brand new guy here. A little intro on me is as the username suggests I am an avid fisherman (bass, striper). I am 45 and I have been shooting for real for the past 23 years. My first smith revolver was a model 10, that I no longer have. I "graduated" to a model 15 shortly thereafter. Since then if I have had a revolver with me it has been a S&W. My 640 goes everywhere with me when the Sig 226 .40 is not practical.

I come to you today to date two guns.

The first is the aforementioned model 15 (8K55xxx).

The second gun is what I believe is the precursor to the model 14. It has been in my family for years. It is a 6" adjustable sight K frame. The right side of the barrel is marked '38 S&W special ctg.' the left side is marked 'Smith & Wesson' (K 218xxx).

Thank you very much for your help. I look forward to learning more here on the boards.

32 short

Jim, thanks for the help. The pistol has an exposed hammer, however no safety that I can tell. It's possible I'm not looking at the hammer properly?

The pistol has an exposed hammer, however no safety that I can tell. It's possible I'm not looking at the hammer properly?
You looked at it correct... I typed the description wrong.
It's a .32 Double Action 2nd Model.
Serial numbers ran from 31 in 1880 to 22172 in 1882.

model 15 (8K55xxx).
(K 218xxx).
8K55xxx = 1975.
K218xxx = 1954 and would be a K-38 Masterpiece. It became the model 14 when S&W began assigning model numbers ~1957.

Jim

Jim, thanks!

I knew it was possibly that old, but figured it was made after 1900.

It's in excellent condition, anybody have a range of values I could use for insurance purposes?

642-2. Serial #dcl2xxx
Book only covers up to 2004. Yours is recent manufacture. A call to S&W customer service will get you the DOB over the phone for free.

It's in excellent condition, anybody have a range of values I could use for insurance purposes?
Ranges from $200 in good to $600 or so in excellent based on 2006 pricing.

Jim

old 32 long

First post here and I appreciate all of the help.

I have a S&W 32 long barrel says 32 long OTG , but from what I read it might be CTG Serial number is 458xxx.

I was wondering if someone could tell me the year of Manufacture. I got this from my grandfather years ago. I was wondering what it could be worth also, thanks for the help.

Back