Smith and Wesson serial number search

I have a Smith 28-2. has S2893xx on it. Can anyone tell me the year? My first Smith revolver. Wish it was in better shape but at least I can shoot it.

I just posted in another thread without realizing that this was here. A date on a Model 27, serial number 19266?
That's not the serial number or complete serial number. Look at the picture 7 posts above yours. That is where the serial number is located (underside of grip butt). It will have a "S" or "N" prefix or if a later model then a 3 letter prefix.

Jim

serial number for a model 27- s 98381

pre-model 29- s 171xxx

38 special- c 240xxx

if you guys could give years and approx values on the above, that would be great.

serial number for a model 27- s 98381
1953-54; $275-$800

pre-model 29- s 171xxx
1956-57; $400-$2000

38 special- c 240xxx
1953; $185-$300

That should be a "pre"-27, and I've assumed that the .38 Special is a pre-10 with regard to the pricing (the other possibility would be a pre-12 "Airweight" which likely would be worth a bit more. There are so many variables involved in estimating value, particularly with older guns such as these, that I've only provided the SCSW-listed range for "fair" to "excellent" to give you an idea. I think you can safely add about 25% or more to those numbers given the increases in S&W revolver values lately. Also, the pre-29 and perhaps also the pre-27 come from the era of "Coke" stocks, and if they have them that would be a significant factor in setting the value.

the 27 and 29 both have the coke stocks. both are also beautiful guns for their age. no rusting or pitting. no scratches etc. i used to know a great deal more about these, but have forgotten most of it. any other info would be great. thanks for the help!

also, how do i tell what type of 38 it is?

The pre-12 "Airweight" had an alloy frame and originally an alloy cylinder, later changed to steel due cracking problems. You can test the frame with a magnet. Value range for an Airweight would be $235 to $600 (same caveats as with previous pricing).

If the .357 and .44 have their original Cokes numbered to the gun then you're getting up into some serious money, particularly in the condition you describe (and even more so if you have the original boxes), so I'd advise you to get them properly appraised if you're considering selling. You might also want to post over on the S&W Forum, with pics if you've got any - that's where the real S&W experts hang out.

Hard time with a .32 Long S&W

Could someone help identify this revolver? It's a S&W .32 Long. Walnut, checkered, medalion-ed grips. Small S&W logo. Pinned barrel. 6-shot. Blued. Half-circle front fixed sight. Square notched fixed rear. The gun has three screws on the right side, one on the left cylinder release, and one on the top front of the trigger guard. The barrel markings are what's messing with me. Right side, ".32 Long CTG" Left side, "Smith & Wesson"

Numbers on the gun: bottom grip (on the frame, not the grips) 605XXX this number is also visible on the inside of the cylinder swing arm [between the cylinder and the swing arm--when opened--you have to look through the cylinder with a flashlight to see it]. Same number under the barrel---also a small "v" all by itself close to where the barrel meets the frame under the barrel.

With the cylinder open, you can also see some other numbers on the frame: top line "11", second line "907XX" under this you can see a strange mark--an 8 in a circle?

I bought a blue book, but it continues to confound my attempts at verification...

The owner has had it for over 10 years.

*ANY* information would be most helpful, and many thanks in advance for any thoughts on the gun...great shooter btw...

Last edited by a moderator:
longlane,

It's a post war .32 Hand Ejector (pre model 30). Serial numbers ran from 536685 in 1946 to 712953 in 1960. Yours (605XXX) dates to pre 1956.
There's actually 4 screws on the sideplate, one is hidden by the grips.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

It was vexing me due to the barrel markings, the "v," and the circle-8 mark. Any idea what any of these mean? Also, any ref. books you could recommend to learn more would be most appreciated. Many, many thanks!

I can't explain the V or circle 8 (although it might be buried in the book somewhere) but the other numbers are assembly markings.
The reference book for S&W is the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson currently on it's third edition.

Jim

How about this S&W? I believe that it is a Model 1-1/2 in .32 S&W, but that's just me guessing. Serial #18932. Looks terrible, but the action and trigger are fantastic!

4111008849_5af5310812_o.jpg

4111775058_aff279b320_o.jpg

4111008251_b3039b0a46_o.jpg

Sgt. Pepper:

Looks like a model 1 1/2 to me.

The Serial numbers ran from 1-97,574, and the dates of production were 1878-1892.

The book doesn't break it down any more than that, but since your gun was made 30% into the serial numbers used, we could guess that its around the early to mid 1880's, but without a letter from S&W, its only a guess.

The pre-12 "Airweight" had an alloy frame and originally an alloy cylinder, later changed to steel due cracking problems. You can test the frame with a magnet. Value range for an Airweight would be $235 to $600 (same caveats as with previous pricing).

If the .357 and .44 have their original Cokes numbered to the gun then you're getting up into some serious money, particularly in the condition you describe (and even more so if you have the original boxes), so I'd advise you to get them properly appraised if you're considering selling. You might also want to post over on the S&W Forum, with pics if you've got any - that's where the real S&W experts hang out.

popped the grips off and damned if the 357 doesnt have the "numbers matching"grips to boot. the 44, i couldnt find anything. does that mean they arent original or im just looking in the wrong place?

-masin

does that mean they arent original or im just looking in the wrong place?

I'd assume the numbers would be in the same place as on the .357 grips, but I honestly don't know for sure - we're pretty much at the limits of my knowledge here. Maybe someone who has first-hand experience will jump in and educate both of us.

Target style grips were not always numbered to the gun because they usually do not require much if any fitting. Magna / service grips are usually numbered to the gun because they had to be individually fitted.
If there are no numbers on your "coke" target grips they could be original or added after the fact. It would take a letter from S&W to know for sure what it orginally shipped with.

Jim

Back