Smith and Wesson serial number search

garnz: 1956, which would technically make it a pre-Model 14 K-38 Target Masterpiece. Could also be a Combat Masterpiece (pre-15) if it has a ramped front sight, vs. the Patridge-style target sight.

morbid0000: 65-3 is the model number, and the AYT serial number prefix would date the gun to 1987.

here are some pictures of 38 special ctg, ..I took this pictures with my phone they maybe not so clear

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fly Fish

I found another thread on here that solved the mystery. It's definitely a 1956 K38 Target Masterpiece.

Thanks for the info.

Serial # lookup

I have a S&W .38 Special, with the original box. When the gun was passed to me by my father, I believe it hadn't been shot much if at all, but the cylinder showed some wear just opening and closing.

I've shot a few hundred rounds through it because I like it. Still looks brand new.

Would like to know the year it was made, and the exact model. The ink on the box has faded.

serial #: D370xxx

thanks
randy

serial #: D370xxx
1971/72.
See pic for location of model number. Likely a model 10-6.
This is a model 629-1:
mod-1.jpg

Jim

Che,

I wouldn't know if the engraving is from S&W or not. The only way to know for sure is to request a letter from S&W. If it came from the factory engraved it will indicate that on the letter. Cost of the letter is $50.

Jim

che Thanks Jim........ What are the steps to do that? mine only has a five where yours have the model

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...catalogId=10001&content=25301&sectionId=10504

Go to that link and there you can download a form to fill out and send it.

You have a K38 combat masterpiece.

In 1957, S&W started using model numbers. Since your gun was made before then it doesn't follow that pattern. When they switched to the model numbers, it became a Model 14 (and very little if anything was changed at that time), so that gun is also reffered to as a Pre Model 14.

Radagast said:
Shooter-from-show-me: Your model 15-2 is from 1965.

Is the .22 on a slightly smaller frame than the model 15? Did you take the serial number from the butt? If so it is probably a Model 34 .22/32 Kit Gun. The serial number dates it to between 1960 & 1965.

If the .22 is on the same frame sizer as the model 15 then it may be a model 18 or a model 14 or a model 45. Is their a C S, or K prefix in front of the serial number on the butt. (ignore numbers stamped inside the frame). Is the front sight ramped or square cut? Does it have a fixed or adjustable rear sight?

Sorry, I still need help with this one. Finally took off the wood grips on the .22LR Smith & Wesson and the serial number is K2949xx. Has a ramped front sight and a adjustable rear sight. But I'm really thinking it is a Model 18. By looks of it. Hopefully this will help narrow it down the search.

Thanks!!!;)

Bill

Last edited:
I have a Stainless S&W Model 64 4". The serial # is BBH4***. Could you guys help me date it? Also, what is the best way to clean the fouling off of the front of the cylinder?

Welcome to the forum, and 1988 for a DOM.
A Lead Wipe Away cloth will easily remove those stains on the face of the cylinder, but they will come right back. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are going to sell it and want it nice and clean.

Sorry, I still need help with this one. Finally took off the wood grips on the .22LR Smith & Wesson and the serial number is K2949xx. Has a ramped front sight and a adjustable rear sight. But I'm really thinking it is a Model 18. By looks of it. Hopefully this will help narrow it down the search.
K2949XX = 1957.
It would be a K-22 Masterpiece (pre model 17) with a 6" barrel or a K-22 Combat Masterpiece (pre model 18) with a 4" barrel.

Jim

Wow! This is quite a thread! A big thanks goes out to you guys helping everyone out. I came across this trying to find info on a handgun of mine and would love to know when it was manufactured.

Model 57-1 N90xxxx

Are the model 19 "K" or "N" frames? Anyone know the fair market value of a 19-5 in probably around 95% original condition? The grips have been replaced with rubber and wood Pacmayers. Slight barrel ring and no play in the cylinder. Apparently it's had a trigger job. It's really smooth and light. Much more so that the 686 I used to have. The guy I got it from said it had less than 500 rounds through it. Here's a couple of bad pics. I'm figuring between $400-$450. Am I too far off? (Mfg. 1983...thanks for the help)

SW191.jpg

SW192.jpg

Back