Smith and Wesson serial number search

k-38 Masterpiece?

I just inherited what I believe to be a K-38 Target Masterpiece. 6" Barrel, Partridge Front Sight, Non Relieved Target Grips.

The gun is 90% that I can see, very nice, have not taken it down yet. Serial Number is 743xx, with a small "4" over the fourth number and a small "3" under the second number. It was my Grandfather's gun, and in doing some research and reading many of the threads here, I am thinking it is a early 1950s gun, but I could be wrong.

Any takers?

I just inherited what I believe to be a K-38 Target Masterpiece. 6" Barrel, Partridge Front Sight, Non Relieved Target Grips.

The gun is 90% that I can see, very nice, have not taken it down yet. Serial Number is 743xx, with a small "4" over the fourth number and a small "3" under the second number. It was my Grandfather's gun, and in doing some research and reading many of the threads here, I am thinking it is a early 1950s gun, but I could be wrong.
Take the serial number from the underside of the grip butt. You will need to remove the grips to see it. It will have a "K" prefix.
BTW, it's patridge front sight.

Jim

S&W 41

Hello,

I just got my first S&W 41.
I already own a 422, 2206, 1 1/2, 586, 686, 29 etc
Can anyone tell me when this 41 was manufactured ?
serial is BMC21XX

Thanks

I have a s&w 38 special ctg that has flowers all over, used to belong to my grandfather, before he die he left me that gun, I enjoy the art this gun has. It has about 6in barrel, like shooting target site and gold points on it. And on the butt of the revolver has a number that starts with K 160793. I can shoot so accurate with this gun like my rifle 22 marlin. Whitch surprises me. I would like to know more about this gun and how much can be worth. Please forgive my english since is really poor..

You have a Target Masterpiece made in 1952. When S&W started assigning model numbers around 1958 it became known as the model 14.
The engraving may or may not have been done by S&W. Has the engraving been signed or initialed? Pictures would help.

Jim

it has some initials that hiden in the flowers U.S.RA
somehow I cannot up load pictures

Last edited:
S&W serial number search

As a very new member I'm not sure if it's kosher to ask an on topic question and an off topic in the same post , but here goes.My 4" mod. 29 has an SN S193xxx . It also has an odd screw on the front of the trigger guard. Now the off topic, my wife got a Taurus 3" five shot 41 Mag pistol. Does anyone make speed loaders for it?

sliverflinger -

Your 29 dates from 1958-59, more likely the latter because the SN is near the end of the range (S194499). Nothing odd about the trigger guard screw - what would be odd is if it didn't have one. "Modern" S&W revolvers originally had 5 screws - 4 on the sideplate and one in front of the trigger guard. The upper sideplate screw, which was up near the rear sight, was eliminated around 1956 to create the so-called 4-screw design. The trigger guard screw was dropped in the late 50s, early 60s (depending on model), resulting in the current 3-screw configuration (one is hidden under the grips, so only 2 are visible).

Sorry, don't know anything about Taurus.

Model 14 Target Masterpiece?

I inherited this gun from my grandfather and it's been sitting in my nightstand for a few years. I've been doing some research and I think it is a S&W .38 Special Model 14 Target Masterpiece.

Serial #: K2865XX

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

.357 stainless with markings under the cylinder hinge, visable when cylinder is open:

65-3 B13 667xx AYT2xxx

Is that enough to tell me what model, year, etc. the gun is?

Thanks!

Back