Shots Fired! Ruger takes on Heritage... discuss!

You know ... does it really matter if some like it, and some don't? I am glad we have 'choices'!!! If it keeps Ruger a float, I am all for it. Doesn't mean you or me have to buy it. But I bet a lot of people will on price alone. And we need more Single Action shooters. Once hooked, it certainly won't be the last SA! Now how do I know that? :) . Ha!

No it's not banned in Mnnesota due too a low melting point.
I just bought one last weekend at Reeds gun fair from the Ruger rep for $170.00 OTD

Mine shoots dead on with the sights at 50 yards.
ringing a 8 inch steel plate every shot.

painted finish is well done. It has the cheapest plastic grips I've ever seen but they feel good in the hand with enough roughness to be useful.

The free spin cylinder is a definate improvement over my single six.

The wrangler seems to be more accurate than my single six but I haven't shot them side by side yet

You asked what we thought, I responded that Heritage offers 22mag, 9 round cylinders, barrels in 3, 4, 6, 9, and 16 inch lengths at half price and say "calm down."

?

Meh...I considered a used stainless single six at the LGS last year. It was priced at $350 which seemed like a decent price. I have a Heritage Rough Rider. It works and shoots to POA. I didn't see the point in adding the Ruger. Now, Ruger is making a Heritage and I'm supposed to get all googly eyed over it because it says Ruger on the side? Nope.
That's what's happened here, people have gone coo coo for a .22 Ruger revolver that costs $200 or less. Now, I do notice that the cheaper the Ruger is, the better it is. LCP's, LC9s, LCR's have all been fantastic guns for the self defense role they serve, the 10/22 is the best sub $300 .22 rifle available, the American rifles are the cheapest bolt action Ruger makes and they're worth every penny.

The Wrangler is different tho. It's not meant for self defense like the LC series are, it's not meant for hunting like the American rifles are, it's meant for plinking and in that regards I feel the Heritage is better. Better sights are available, 9 round cylinders are an option, 6 and 9 inch barrels are available, and .22 Mag cylinders come with many of them so if there ever was a defensive situation, the .22 Mag is very capable in a long barrel revolver.

The Wrangler... it's as basic and plain as it gets and IMO, it doesn't look that great. The Cerakote finish with the burnt bronze and silver color make the Wranglers look like the entire gun is plastic.

I still like to see competition, the Wrangler will make Heritage have to work harder to earn their keep.

This is the beginning of the end for Ruger.
Offering a low cost, entry level plinker with quality construction and a lifetime warranty is going to be their downfall? Really?

If I had a son or grandson that was of age for their first pistol I'd buy them one of these in a heartbeat. I assume they'll accumulate nicer firearms over the years, but this strikes me as a perfect plinker. In fact, I plan to buy one just to have around for introducing children and newbies to shooting.

Offering a low cost, entry level plinker with quality construction and a lifetime warranty is going to be their downfall?

Ruger may have a customer service history as good as or better than any other gun maker, but they have no written warranty, lifetime or otherwise.

Nope. They have always had some bargain options along with standard ...as well as a select few higher grade.

Yeah, they mix it up well. Nothing wrong with this at all. You can spend $200 or $1K+ with Ruger...something for (nearly) all budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There might be a few people willing to buy the Wrangler when they really wanted a Single Six and could have bought one if they really wanted to, but the two guns are in very different categories. People who want a Single Six and had a real chance of buying one are going to get a Single Six.

Or there may be some people like me who already have a Single Six/Super Single Six (I've had a Super Single Six since the early seventies) and want to add a cheaper version of the Ruger sa revolver for a different purpose ("very different categories")-in my case, I'm looking for a serviceable but cheap, .22 handgun to keep in a vehicle. Having one of each is a good plan for me.

It's as basic and plain as it gets and IMO, it doesn't look that great.
But I tell ya what. The RR doesn't look that great either with that safety sticking out the side. Just a real eye-sore (to me). The coating on the Wrangler doesn't look as good as real blued ... But better than the RR with that safety. Plus the Ruger should be way more reliable. My RR had to have the pawl spring replaced once already for example... If I was looking for a plinker and If the Ruger Wrangler was offered in 5 1/2" barrel length, I'd buy the Ruger over the Heritage in a heartbeat. The zinc grip frame doesn't bother me as it should be plenty strong for '.22' recoil :) . Now if you plan on using it as a hammer or a pry bar, well, steel probably would be better. Grip panels can always be replaced too.

"When Phoenix Arms, Hi Point and Taurus can make money on sub two hundred dollar hand guns, you have to wonder how much profit these larger companies with highly efficient manufacturing make on each sale. I am glad they are successful and profitable but I would bet Ruger could blister pack their LCP, sell it for less than 100 dollars and still make a sizable profit."

I don't know who Phoenix Arms are, not sure about Hi Points reliability, but Taurus is iffy.

You can make a handguns for the price that Taurus and others do, but you can't expect the quality or the customer service to equal Ruger or S&W.

Blue1

Figured I'd post a picture of the group I got Friday with my Heritage at 15y. Was with some bulk Federal ammo, so with some better quality CCI stuff, I can see the group shrinking to the same size as a quarter.

D51g5GEX4AE0AiY.jpg

From videos I've seen on the Wrangler, I don't think the accuracy is going to be excellent, just good enough to be a plinker.

I did notice .22 Magnum shot better than .22 LR in the Heritage.

Just picked mine up Saturday from my son's gun shop. $179 plus tax. Visually superior to the RR to my eyes. The ceracoat finish is very well done and smooth and ceracoat is a tough finish and should wear well. Trigger pull started out at 4.5 lbs and short with minimum travel. A little time with hammer boosting got that under 4lbs and crisp. Free spin pawl is a really nice feature and really makes loading and unloading easy. It feels really good in the hand and I am a fan of the 4&3/4 barrel length particularly for a trail gun. Grip panels are OK and useable but I suspect I will change them for something more eye pleasing. Action is smooth, lock up is tight and B/C gap is close looks to be under .005.
I did some shooting in my basement range with Aguila Super Collibri. At 45' I got consistent groups under 1&1/2 in off hand right on for windage and about 1" low which I find to be exceptional for this ammo. I can't wait for some good weather and free time to coincide.
Overall I think Ruger has a winner with this one and I expect we will see additional barrel lengths and colors in the future .

Back