Shots Fired! Ruger takes on Heritage... discuss!

I have a Heritage now, going on about 5 years. Still in very good shape, have not had any issues. I can buy 22.mag ammo for the same price that I can buy 9mm range ammo and delivered right to my front door with free shipping.
The Ruger is about double the cost. and limited to one size. If I do buy another 22.cal single action, it will be the Heritage and I get a lifetime warranty through Buds for just a very small cost.

Personally I find both of these guns as just plinkers. Fun shooting guns of a Sat afternoon. Do not need great sights, I enjoy shooting shooting tin cans with old Kentucky windage. I laugh at people trying to make these gun into fine target guns and boasting about some close group.

Ruger fans want to disparage the 22.mag cylinder availability for the Heritage. Well you never see them do this with the single six. Yes, shooting 22.mag can be fun. And a box of 50 rounds at 17 cents is not going to bust the bank. It is easy to put down the Magnum cylinder when the Ruger Wrangler just does not have one.

No I am not going to pay more for a Plinker that does nothing more than on costing Half as much. And if someone wants to spend more than that is fine me. Just have fun with them and enjoy them for what they are.

Ruger 357/9mm and Heritage 22.cal/22.Magnum

npvCwyu.jpg

Last edited:
Do not need great sights, I enjoy shooting shooting tin cans with old Kentucky windage.
I don't need fine target sights either ... but ... the gun should shoot to POA and shoot a decent group (not a shotgun pattern). I don't like to rely on 'luck' to hit what I aim at. If that means tapping the front sight, turning the barrel, filing the front sight down, filing the rear sight edges, then that is what gets done.

I've put plenty of LR rounds through my RR. I have no practical use for the Magnum cylinder. Even broke the pawl spring which I replaced once. That said, I much do prefer the Single Six over the RR revolver. I don't have a Wrangler and not not planning on getting one at this time. I think it is a much more reliable design than the RR and doesn't have the ugly safety. That said, I don't like the coating on the Wrangler. I am partial to blued revolvers. Anyway, we all have our preferences... Mine runs to the Single Six line of Single Actions. I'd sure like to see a case colored .22LR Vaquero (on small frame) with 5 1/2" barrel ... Pick one up in a heartbeat if I found one :) .

Last edited:
Mine shoots just fine. No problem with the Mag cylinder. Do not rely on luck. The safety is absolutey no issue. I do not use it for carry. Both are just plinkers. I will put my money into my carry guns, ammo etc.
If I was BIG into shooting these guns I would invest in a Single Six and forget both of these plinkers.

Sorry if you thought I implied that 'your' gun wasn't accurate. Wasn't my intention. Just trying to say in general, a gun should first be accurate and then shoot to POA. No Kentucky windage necessary. :) . FWIW, I never put any money into my RR either, But did in my Single-Six, Shooting .22LR is a very good way to practice... as long as it shoots straight! BTW, I did have a .22 SA clone that did spray a pattern... May hit a paper plate somewhere at 25 yards... Luck was needed to keep 'em all on the plate :) . Parted that gun out.

I just don't like how the RR safety looks. On one of my Uberti's, they made the cylinder pin with two notches. One notch is a safety. So the safety isn't 'noticeable' at a glance unlike the RR safety which sticks out like sore thumb. Just an observation :) .

Back