Shots Fired! Ruger takes on Heritage... discuss!

Well the main reason for having a 22 mag cylinder is to have the option of having a "bigger/harder/heavier wrench in the toolbox" at your disposal, remember ballistic wise a 22 mag out of hang gun equals a 22lr out of a rifle/carbine.

Not really. From what I have seen on chrono readings the 22 mag with a 40gr bullet will get around 1500+fps from a 5.5" barreled revolver. IIRC most 40gr 22lr will be around 1200-1300fps from a rifle.

Of course you can use lighter 22 bullets from the rifle and get higher velocities but you can do the same thing with lighter weight 22 mag bullets also.

Here is an article from American Rifleman and they show just over 1400fps from a 4.5" barreled gun with Winchester 40gr ammo. I like the heavier bullets myself. And I have found the CCI 22 mag to be behind Winchester and Fiocchi in velocity. The 22 mag really benifits from a longer barreled gun.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/8/the-22-magnum-for-self-defense/

Last edited:
From what I have read over the years most people hardly ever shoot 22 magnums out of their revolvers. This is definetly a non issue for me.

From what I have read over the years most people hardly ever shoot 22 magnums out of their revolvers. This is definetly a non issue for me.

I guess I am not "most people" because i have shot hundreds of 22 mag from my single six guns. Not counting the Taurus model 94 22 mag I owned. I think its a great round. After I have shot 22 mag from any gun I almost can't go back to the soft shooting 22lr.

I just don't like paying for it.

I hear that. Fortunately Sportsmans Warehouse had a sale on Armscor solid and hollow point 40gr ammo for $5.65 a box a few years ago. I joined the super saver club to get the better price and free shipping and bought 4,000 rounds to add to the 1,500 I had on hand already.

Armscor loads the 22mag ammo sold by Fiocchi. Its just rebranded. I like the Armscor ammo. It shoots in the same group as the 40gr Winchester loads. As good as CCI is it shoots about 4" lower at 100 yards than the the other ammo with 40gr bullets. And I don't like the mushy Plated Bullets CCI uses. I like the real jacketed ammo from Winchester and Armscor.

Picked one of these up the other day. Have tons of single actions, many of them Rugers, with my oldest Single Six being from 1958. The Wrangler is a really cool gun, feels solid, and shoots great. I think this is a winner.

While 22mag is priced at the low end of the 357mag ammo, a non Taurus 357 range revolver is going to start at $500 for a blued GP100 and go up from there.

If someone wants to shoot something loud in a revolver at the range, the additional 22mag cylinder at 20 dollars more on any given RR22 model (gun.deals), that's a pretty fine price to get a few giggles from a loud boom.

From the things I have seen on here, and elsewhere about the new budget Ruger it has earned top spot on my "alternative" to buy list. That's the guns that just happen to pop up at a good sale price when I have a couple extra Benjamins in my pocket, or a bunch of reward poinst at BPS/Cabela's.
Even though I have a couple Rough Riders I am completely happy with. Aren't rimfire pistols like potato chips anyway?

I just saw today that CDNN is selling new Heritages for $109.99. If these revolvers get any cheaper, we might start finding them in Cracker Jack boxes!

While 22mag is priced at the low end of the 357mag ammo, a non Taurus 357 range revolver is going to start at $500 for a blued GP100 and go up from there.

If someone wants to shoot something loud in a revolver at the range, the additional 22mag cylinder at 20 dollars more on any given RR22 model (gun.deals), that's a pretty fine price to get a few giggles from a loud boom.
Charter's are $400 for their 6 inch barrel revolvers and they're offering a $25 rebate for all their revolvers right now.

A Ruger that will be had under $200, I'd go for that. I carried a Heritage on the trap line for years, until the hammer broke off and I tossed it into a quarry. Killed a bunch of critters with that.

A Ruger that will be had under $200, I'd go for that. I carried a Heritage on the trap line for years, until the hammer broke off and I tossed it into a quarry. Killed a bunch of critters with that.

I am not a fan of the Heritage made guns but IIRC they have a good warranty. I would have at least gave them a chance to repair it. For what you and most use them for they are not terrible guns. At least the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I just saw today that CDNN is selling new Heritages for $109.99. If these revolvers get any cheaper, we might start finding them in Cracker Jack boxes!

Is that price for the 22lr only or does it come with both cylinders?

Just the .22lr cylinder, silvermane.

After reading more and more reviews and seeing the prices on a few different sites, I’ll most likely order one once they’re in stock. Waiting on the all black one. Just an FYI, SOSS has the silver model in stock.

You could have called Heritage, sent the gun to them, and had it back in a couple weeks and sold it for $75.

What a throw away society we have.

Yeah, you guys didn't see that heritage. Think of a pistol kept in the slaughter house, never cleaned. This gun was the definition of beater. I never even oiled it because I didn't want oil around my traps. I did plug it up and tape it off and dip it in trap wax. It was only used to kill 'possums and skunks I might get in the traps. Fur got the thump stick.

Any updated range reports or news on the Wrangler? Now that folks have more rounds down range, any issues or problems encountered?

I think I want one. My LGS doesn't have any and has a wait list, but Sportsman's had a black and a silver on the shelf. $199.99 and a 5% prior military discount to cover the sales tax. But I'm not in a big hurry and can wait for the LGS, plus I was hoping for some current and longer term reviews.

The gate seemed really stiff on the Wrangler compared to the Heritage RR, but that safety on the RR is a real no-go for me. I figured the gate can be worked on and will loosen over time, hopefully.

Back