Shots Fired! Ruger takes on Heritage... discuss!

If I were interested in a Heritage, I'd choose this Ruger over the Heritage in a heartbeat. But, if I've got the cash to be looking for a Single Six, I'm buying a Single Six.

Which is probably exactly what Ruger is hoping.

Steel grip frames are available from Brownells for Ruger pistols, but just a bare grip frame costs as much as some used forearms. I have occasionally been tempted (for a Blackhawk, not for my Single Six), but I could never justify the cost. Maybe if I win the lottery ...

I am glad Ruger is making a quality revolver priced for the starter/entry gun market.
This is a kit gun if I ever saw one, something I'm not worried about getting scratched or rubbed while camping and such.

Thank you Ruger.

Last edited:
I thought all Single Sixes had alloy frames.

Howdy

Yes, steel is an alloy, meaning it is a metal composed of more than just one element. But in the gun world, ALLOY usually means aluminum.

I have three Single Sixes. They all have steel frames. A magnet sticks to them very nicely.

The tech blurb about the new Wrangler specifically states the frame is made of aluminum. It says Aluminum Alloy, because there are lots and lots of formulas for aluminum. I used to specify aluminum in parts drawings all the time. There are lots of different alloys of aluminum with various other metals added for strength or maintainability. One of the most common is Aluminum 6061, which has some magnesium and silicon added.

I don't understand why/how an aluminum alloy frame is significantly less expensive than a steel frame.

Because aluminum is cheaper to machine than steel. Aluminum is a fairly soft metal and can be machined at a faster rate than steel. Time is money in a machine shop, so less time spent machining the metal means less cost to manufacture. In addition, machining steel wears the cutters faster than aluminum so that is another cost savings when machining aluminum instead of steel.

Zamack would be cheaper, and is entirely adequate for a .22.

Perish the thought. Zamak is a trade name for a family of zinc based alloys. Another name for zinc alloys is Cheap Pot Metal. Perish the thought that Ruger would stoop to using zinc alloys.

Steel grip frames are available from Brownells for Ruger pistols, but just a bare grip frame costs as much as some used forearms.

That is because you are buying them retail, one at a time. Produced in mass, a steel grip frame would be much less expensive. Ruger has been using steel grip frames for the Vaqueros since the beginning.

The front of the cylinder shows rings around the mouth of each chamber. Clicking on the spec sheet, I see that Ruger says the cylinder and frame are aluminum alloy. Does this mean that the cylinder is made of aluminum, and the chambers are steel sleeves pressed into the aluminum cylinder?

I think what you are seeing in that photo is carbon rings around the chamber mouths. I kind of doubt Ruger is going to go to the expense of pressing separate steel chambers into a cylinder. That would drive the cost up. Ruger has state of the art CNC machining capability and I suspect it is less expensive to machine a cyinder form solid steel instead of pressing in sleeves for the chambers.

Well on the plus side ruger will finally have adjustable chamber throats yay!

????

It looks to me like they rebuilt an old Single Six .22 LR with a new aluminum frame alloy.

I don't think so. Take a look at the side of a Single Six hammer. Notice it is completely flat. Then look at the photos of the Wrangler hammer. Notice there is a cut out on the side. There is also a groove up the backside of the hammer. I have not handled a wrangler yet, so I do not know the purpose of that cut out and groove, but to me it is clearly not a Single Six hammer.

Hammer%2001%20SN%20modified_zpsgcpmckrj.jpg

Frankly guys, I think the cost cutting in the new Wrangler will come from the fact that the frame is aluminum, saving cost over a steel frame, and the Cerakote finish is much cheaper than putting a high polish on steel and then bluing it, or simply putting a high polish on Stainless Steel.

Last edited:
Over on another forum one of the members noticed that Ruger has copyrighted the name Wrangler.

If you go to the Ruger page about their new Wrangler, you will notice a tiny TM in a circle near the name Wrangler.

That means Ruger has Trademarked the name Wrangler. Not copyright, Trademark.

A Trademark is different than a copyright. A copyright is specifically about printed material, a Trademark is for "a recognizable sign, design, or expression which identifies products or services of a particular source from those of others."

Copyrights are denoted by a small C inside a circle. Trademarks are denoted by a small R in a circle or a small TM inside a circle.

Probably the most famous trademark in the world is the script Coca-Cola uses in all it's advertising. Next time you have a Coke (which is also trademarked) look closely and you will see a tiny R inside a circle just to the right of the script.

I don't know how Ruger, which is also trademarked, managed to get a trademark on the name Wrangler, when other products already use that name, but they obviously did.

The other thing about Trademarks is they never expire, as long as the company maintains it. Copyrights and patents expire after a certain number of years.

I don't do the SAS games, but I've always wondered why no one has done a modern rendition of the Colt 1877(?) double action cowboy setup. Although the original was famously fragile in it's workings, it does fit the timelines SAS goes by- right? I'd like to see a modern (and modernly reliable) double action themed handgun in .45 Long Colt- or actually in all the commonly used SAS calibers.

The name is Single Action Shooting Society.

That says it all.

I think the new GP-100 hammers have the same relief area in the side like seen on the Wrangler. I don't know if its to make it lighter or to save material. But I suspect its a way to use less metal. It looks sorta cheap to me. Its OK on the Wrangler but the GP cost so much I can't see doing that. But Ruger doesn't check with me first.:mad:

I think it will probably fill a niche and think Ruger will sell quite a few. Not certain I'm interested. Gonna have to see one in person. Maybe.

If I were interested in a Heritage, I'd choose this Ruger over the Heritage in a heartbeat. But, if I've got the cash to be looking for a Single Six, I'm buying a Single Six.

Which is probably exactly what Ruger is hoping.
My thoughts exactly. There might be a few people willing to buy the Wrangler when they really wanted a Single Six and could have bought one if they really wanted to, but the two guns are in very different categories. People who want a Single Six and had a real chance of buying one are going to get a Single Six.

I spent a little time last night on gunbroker looking at single six revolvers just to see what they are selling for. And yes brand new in the box they are selling for $500+ dollars. But there were many used ones for way less than that.

There were many very clean guns that looked almost unfired for $400 or a little less. Many between $300-and $350. And even a few for less than $300 and a couple around $250. And I only looked at around 9 pages of the over 30 pages of them for sale.

Anyone who can't find a deal on a blued steel single six for a price they can live with isn't trying. And thats a gun with adjustable sights and both cylinders. It was surprising how many old models and even a few flat latches were listed.

Go to a gun show and you may find the same or better deals and not have to pay for shipping and transfer fees. The guys at the GS are some of the same ones with guns listed on GB.

Buy one of the original Ruger single sixes and you don't have to worry about what the new Ruger is made of and its its any better than the heritage RR. You will have the best gun and one that will last a life time if cared for.

I spent a little time last night on gunbroker looking at single six revolvers just to see what they are selling for. And yes brand new in the box they are selling for $500+ dollars. But there were many used ones for way less than that.

There were many very clean guns that looked almost unfired for $400 or a little less. Many between $300-and $350. And even a few for less than $300 and a couple around $250. And I only looked at around 9 pages of the over 30 pages of them for sale.

Anyone who can't find a deal on a blued steel single six for a price they can live with isn't trying. And thats a gun with adjustable sights and both cylinders. It was surprising how many old models and even a few flat latches were listed.

Go to a gun show and you may find the same or better deals and not have to pay for shipping and transfer fees. The guys at the GS are some of the same ones with guns listed on GB.

Buy one of the original Ruger single sixes and you don't have to worry about what the new Ruger is made of and its its any better than the heritage RR. You will have the best gun and one that will last a life time if cared for.
What you saw were current bids, not final selling price and you're not factoring in shipping, which is anywhere from $20-$40. No Single Six is selling for under $300 used, they're generally around $350+ once all is said and done.

And who knows how old they are and heavily used. Plus, those are all the six round models, the 9 or 10 rd ones are $500 easy.

I like this. I'm not paying Single Six money for a .22 revolver. I don't need the finish of it to beat around the farm with. But this Wrangler. There is a good chance my children learn revolvers on it.

What you saw were current bids, not final selling price and you're not factoring in shipping, which is anywhere from $20-$40. No Single Six is selling for under $300 used, they're generally around $350+ once all is said and done.

And who knows how old they are and heavily used. Plus, those are all the six round models, the 9 or 10 rd ones are $500 easy.

I am very well aware of how GB works and the extra cost when you buy something. I buy and sell on there myself and have for years. And so far every gun I have bought has been in better condition than described. I have never had a bad purchase or a sell where someone was unhappy with what I sold them. You can check my feedback. I go by "ratshooter" on there also.

And you can go to the "Advanced" search and see what the final price on the guns were. Just in case you didn't know that.

And the point was you can buy a decent used single six and not pay $500+ dollars to get one and not be stuck buying the El Cheapo Heritage junk. And now those on a budget can buy the much better but still basic Ruger built gun and bypass the Heritage made offerings.

And I don't like the 8-10 shot guns because the ratchet is more prone to wear. Look at how robust the ratchet is on the Ruger 6 shot guns.

Perish the thought. Zamak is a trade name for a family of zinc based alloys. Another name for zinc alloys is Cheap Pot Metal. Perish the thought that Ruger would stoop to using zinc alloys.

Frankly guys, I think the cost cutting in the new Wrangler will come from the fact that the frame is aluminum, saving cost over a steel frame, and the Cerakote finish is much cheaper than putting a high polish on steel and then bluing it, or simply putting a high polish on Stainless Steel.

Because of it's low melting point, Zamak also casts very smooth with few to no blemishes. Odds are there is not a lot of need to prep/polish the frame before Cerakoting it. Another cost saver. I saw I don't see this as an investment firearm for heavy use, but a cheap way to make some noise. A good way to add some clutter to the glove box or center console without breaking the bank. Doubt in your wildest dreams it's ever gonna come close to a SS....but it should come close to the Heritages. Accuracy comes down to the barrel and trigger. I'd guess it's got the former, but probably not the latter. Will be interesting to see how the finish and the frames hold up. Would be a great way to introduce someone to revolver shooting, whether it be a youth or adult.

This is from a post by Articap over on the High Road forum. The grip is zemak.

Hawkeye posted on the Ruger Forum:

Just received this email in response to my inquiry . . .

"Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service."

"The grip frame is Zinc. The cylinder frame is Alloy Aluminum."

"Ruger Customer Service"

Also, Ruger had initially registered the name "Single-Six Wrangler" as a trademark:--->>> https://trademarks.justia.com/876/60/single-six-87660703.html

Last edited:
Meh...I considered a used stainless single six at the LGS last year. It was priced at $350 which seemed like a decent price. I have a Heritage Rough Rider. It works and shoots to POA. I didn't see the point in adding the Ruger. Now, Ruger is making a Heritage and I'm supposed to get all googly eyed over it because it says Ruger on the side? Nope.

Back