S&W 3rd Gen Autos

I first qualified for a carry license with a 3913. I carry a 9mm Shield these days, but the 3913 makes frequent range visits.

--------Please excuse the size. Don't know how to shrink-------.
It's possible that some people here never found this on Google. Without this chart, and >> Not qualifying for Mensa <<, I would understand little about S&W.

SW-semi-model-chart-1.jpg

Mags are still plentiful. The guns are so over engineered that the only parts that will need replacing are springs, which are very much available. As for other parts, I would get a spare and cannibalize it if necessary. Yeah, love these guns.

I was on a holy quest for a good 4506-1 for years after passing on one at a local shop and really not knowing what it was.

I looked so hard for a 4506 that I actually found (and bought) a 1006 first! That 1006 is one of the jewels of my collection.

I finally found a really nice 4506-1, too.

I owned a 4006 many years ago, not the most accurate pistol I've ever owned but at 37.3 ounces of stainless steel quite the threat for knockout power.

I sold my near new 4006TSW a couple of years ago. I needed cash but I sure wish I had kept it. I had all the '06's, 5906, 4006, 4506, and 6906. I recently got another 6906 and now I need another 4006, but wow, the prices...

Geez, thread is over ten years old, how you even went about finding it is amazing in and of itself.

Major necro-thread, no doubt.

But S&W 3rd Gens are cool pistols and - assuming reasonable condition - are increasingly commanding premium prices on the 'pre-owned' market.

This thread is an oldie, but a goodie, for sure. I bought a Smith 4006 in 1991, soon after the round and pistol was introduced. It's still in my safe. I'll be pulling it out after a long rest in a few weeks for some time at the range...

0QqbhnV.jpg

I had a beautiful Smith & Wesson model 645 with all the factory goodies, box,unopened cleaning kit, papers. When I sold it, I included seven factory magazines and three sets of grips.

While an older resurrected thread, it's still nice to see the appreciation of the S&W 3rd gen guns.

I have a small, modest collection of them in 9,. 40 & .45, originally ordered as "working" (off-duty) guns back when I could buy them at a discount under the discontinued armorer purchase program. I was only interested in the compact and subcompact models, though.

The last one I bought was a late production 3913TSW which I had the opportunity to purchase as a former duty weapon. When I got word this was going to occur, I turned in the 4513TSW I was issued and then hand-selected and checked out one of the few remaining unissued NIB 3913TSW's in our inventory. It wasn't in-service very long before the TSW's were pulled from service for replacement with plastic, and that 3913TSW was sent over by my agency to an authorized FFL for transfer to me. I won't rub in the price. :)

It nicely complements my late 90's standard 3913 (ordered after completing an armorer class).

One of the other older 3rd gen's I own is a CS45S (S=stainless slide) I ordered when the stainless version was first released. I've run a lot of rounds through that chunky little .45 over the years.

Matter of fact, today it's going to see the duty as a retirement weapon carried when I take my wife for driver over along the ocean. The couple of older holsters I picked up for it are a Hume H726 (semi-breakfront) and a Blade-tech belt scabbard. The BT holster was made for me when I knew someone working at the company, and he made it for me with a deeper front cut than was standard (for faster clearance during the presentation).

It wears an original set of the old Ashley Express Big Dot sights that was offered for the 3rd gen CS45 back then. They didn't offer tritium in the rear notch for that model back then, though. Just a white stripe.

I had a 4056TSW but I decided to sell it...

p2855606776-4.jpg

Apparently there were only about 1200 of them ever made. I really don't regret the sale, as it didn't fit into my home defense system. I shot it well, but I didn't like the way the recoil left me hunting for the target on a follow-up shot. What I do regret is not holding on to it until this current crisis - which would've brought more money.

Back