S&W 3rd Gen Autos

I bought a 6906 a couple of years ago. Two months ago I bought a 4586. I in love with these guns. I just wish there was a ready supply of them. One question that I do have is what are good prices on the 3rd generation Smiths? I would like to start a bigger collection of them, but would also like to get a good deal as well. I paid $280 OTD for the 6906 and 270.00 OTD for the 4586. Both we in great condition. Thanks in advance

All I want for Christmas is a good condition 4506. Well, maybe that's not all I want, but it's on the list. My 645 (second generation?) is a great pistol and I keep it bedside.

S&W 5946 DA only 9mm, rare model, 3rd gen series...

I saw a rare R&D model new/unfired 5946 with melonite, night sights and a 1913 rail. It was a 9x19mm and wasn't cheap. The pistol was on www.GunsAmerica.com . I also remember in the late 1980s how S&W's PR office saying the 3rd gen four digit models could feed & cycle empty cases. ;)
A good friend in my MP platoon saved up for a S&W 5906 pistol & a Miami Classic shoulder rig from Galco.
I shot a rental S&W model 3913 pistol while on leave and it did have 1 misfire. :( To be fair, I was using cheap range reloaded ammunition and I was not 100% sure the staff cleaned the weapons either.
The S&W semi auto line was very impressive overall. I really liked the S&W arch style with the curved grips. The flat type seemed to win out in later years. I also did not care for the slide mounted safeties and right hand only magazine release. As a left handed shooter, I do not understand why most semi auto models do not have switchable controls. It does not seem complicated. The new M&Ps are a big improvement and worth a solid look but the older S&Ws can still hold up for CC or protection.

S&W 3rd generation guns are, IMHO, the very best platform for the 10mm cartridge. I'm quite fond of my 1076 as it makes Double Tap 180grn JHP feel like 9mm +P from my CZ-75.

BuffaloSabresGame68.jpg

I guess a lot of us are coming out of the closet, but I'd just as soon keep the ohh and aah down. The prices are already starting to get kinda steep as more folks "discover" these great pistols.

The trigger on my 3913TSW is about as good as you can get without investing in an upgrade. And, there are some NIBs still floating around out there. If you Google 4513TSW, you'll find a store in Alaska that has 3 of them at $650 each. No mention of shipping. I saw a NIB go for $725 in June; but that's pushing it.

Both the 3913 and the 4513 are getting harder to find in good condition. It appears the 9s and the 45s are beginning to work up to cult status, so I'd be looking there first. Owners who know, love, and care for them are not selling, so condition is going to become paramount in the next couple of years.

Finally, I have no knowledge of rumors regarding the Secret Society for the Appreciation and Preservation of Smith & Wesson Pistols.

Last edited:
Witness... Here's mine. '89 5906 bought LNIB with all papers. What a great shooter! Full time nightstand, and gets a lot of range time as well.
003-3.jpg

They are getting more spendy these days, I guess folks are catching on to how great they are.

I've fired many tens of thousands of rounds through many 3rd gen pistols chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP over the 20 years I carried one or another as an issued pistol, and I've been an armorer for much of that time. (I attended my 4th 3rd gen armorer class earlier this year.)

I have a lot of respect for the 3rd gen guns and trust them.

One more question: Has anyone here had any accuracy complaints with a S&W auto?

Reading reviews it seems like every so often someone complains about dismal accuracy from one. I usually take gun reviews with a grain of salt but sometimes the reviewer will state that their other S&Ws shoot fine, which at least suggests they don't just have an axe to grind.

It just seems these guns have more of this type of complaint than some others. Anything to it?

Reading reviews it seems like every so often someone complains about dismal accuracy from one. I usually take gun reviews with a grain of salt but sometimes the reviewer will state that their other S&Ws shoot fine, which at least suggests they don't just have an axe to grind.

It just seems these guns have more of this type of complaint than some others. Anything to it?

I have a 5903 semi-auto and a 66 revolver and both have adjustable sights, so they shoot pretty darn well.

Based on the number of units that S&W has shipped over the years I am certain there were some “lemons”. I also suspect, if such statistics existed, S&W’s overall quality would be equal to or above that of other manufactures.

Last edited:
Oh yea, I picked up a 1066 on Gunbroker for a little under $700. It was in the box with the magazine wrapped in paper, NBK....never been kissed. I love it along with my 1006, they can't be beat, buy 'em while you can still find 'em.

The only S&W 3rd generation pistol that ever gave me any accuracy problems was a value line 910.

It was combat accurate. 3" to 4" at 15 yards with WWB.

I put a steel guide rod in along with a Wolff recoil spring, and after market sights, and groups tightened up slightly. Still not a match gun.

I only used it to train newbs on semi auto's, so it served its purpose.

Most folks I've encountered who complained of accuracy issues with a 3rd gen pistol, solved the...."issue" by putting Hogue grips on, and finding which ammo the gun liked best. Regards 18DAI.

My 4586 was reliable. Unfortunately, I couldn't shoot the DAO worth a hill of beans.

If I could get my hands on some kind of SA/DA .45 3rd Generation S&W I would be a happy camper. I'm not sure what model that would be however.

Back