S&W 3rd Gen Autos

And how does that summation explain what Glock did? Glock not only went right on ahead making the Glock 20 (and selling it, I'll have to assume), they went further and built the G29 in 1997 and sold them also. And sell them both still, to this day, to decent demand.

I'm not trying to sit here and convince anyone that 10mm pistols are all the rage... they are not, they are a drop in the bucket. But I disagree that sales were the prime motivator for S&W's decision specifically on the 10xx series. They made 50,000 of them, no small number, and after they quit, they introduced 10mm in a revolver! Why would they do that if they thought nobody wanted a 10mm?

It's not because nobody wanted a 10mm.
It was because S&W didn't want anyone/anything to draw attention away from the .40 S&W round.

As I said, it's hard to argue with what they did... they sure seemed to have done well with it. But how horribly difficult would it have been for S&W to keep producing the 10xx pistols given the fact they they were still building many metric tons of the 4506?

Kentucky and New Mexico were certainly still using them long after those wusses at the FBI went to the wimpier round.

And recent history is littered with guns that were discontinued even though most everyone LOVED them. See Colt and any of their revolvers, and a half dozen more from different gun makers.

Hey laktrash, yes the CS is a 3rd generation pistol. And they are getting harder to find, especially in Good + condition.

And, I'm with you on the 457, it's in my CC rotation.

My 5906 was reliable until the day I sold it, never heard from the new owner again. Its one of the guns I regret selling its was nice and compact and was a good shooter it also was in very good condition. I'm actually looking for a CS45 or CS9 as we speak.

I also would like to pick up a cs40 and a cs9 to complete a set. "Nice" ones seem to be harder to find at a reasonable price. I love my cs45s but they mainly stay in the safe.

I'm stickin with the original. Yeah, it's fat and wide but she's never failed me and eats anything I shove at her!

S&W_Mod59.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a S&W auto with a COMPENSATOR?

I just picked this up earlier today. Model: 4516-1 DA w/safety-decocker & COMPENSATOR. The barrel appears to be a 2 piece (original 3.5" threaded for the compensator?).
SW4516-13.jpg

pix165613704.jpg

pix583663344.jpg

pix026463503.jpg

The only question I have is,,,,,why did I wait so long to buy a S&W 3rd gen???
I'm just tickled silly about my 5906 and 4506. My range bag is getting awfully heavy these days......:D
A guy at the club today had a LNIB 6906 his recently deceased father in law left him, he wouldn't sell it! :(

I'm weak. Although I didn't care for the 4586 DAO thing I just broke-down and bought a 4006 from my LGS. The price was right and I'm one of those oddballs that actually likes 40 S&W.

I pick it up on Monday.

Hey ColColt. Sorry to revive an old post, but you mentioned a NIB 4513TSW. I too have an affinity for the 3 gen S&W. My 4586 was stolen a while ago, but I have since picked up two ex-police pistols, an 4043 and a 4563TSW. The 4043 required a little cosmetic work, but is now almost perfect. The 4563 I just got yesterday and is like new. I was nosing around the web yesterday and found a NIB 457S, which is just what I have been looking for. It was found unsold and undiscovered in a Dist.'s warehouse. It's not a 4513 but close, so there is hope.

The 3rd gen Smiths were the perfect balance of reliability, durability and aesthetics. I've always felt that Smith peaked with the 3rd gens and it's sad to see that they've been replaced by more plastic guns. A better combat pistol doesnt exist at any price level!

I never found the 3rd generation guns to be tackdrivers by any means, but all the ones I owned were super reliable and I sure do miss them.

Personally I'm very fond of the S&W 3rd Gen autos. Yes parts and genuine S&W mags can be hard to obtain now, but they're still great handguns. I don't shoot them enough to worry about breaking parts so I consider that to be a non-issue. I recently picked up the 4513 at auction and I inherited the 4586 from my dad. I also have a 4516-1 that I inherited. Solid handguns.

Attachments

• imgKVI1R64I.jpg
    imgKVI1R64I.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image_59337.jpg
    image_59337.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5617.JPG
    IMG_5617.JPG
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Zombie thread though it may be, I recently purchased a California Highway Patrol 4006TSW which I can't shoot due to COVID-19, so the most I can do is talk about it, and I don't get many opportunities to that.

Frankly, I love this gun. It's a huge, thick chunk of steel, a gun so insanely overbuilt that it makes the Ruger P-Series look slim by comparison. It's a real tank of a gun and I can only imagine just how much it's going to tame the recoil of .40 S&W once I finally get an opportunity to shoot it.

It makes me sad that S&W doesn't make 3rd Gen Pistols anymore, because I honestly think they're nicer than other all metal, DA/SA hammer-fired pistols of the time. Seriously, I can only conclude that the 5906 failed to surpass the popularity of the Beretta 92 and SIG P226 in popularity because it wasn't ever in military service and the imbecilic European owners of Smith & Wesson at the time made too many unpopular, anti-2A decisions in the 90s which turned off a lot of folks to the brand. What a shame.

Back