S&W 3rd Gen Autos

ColColt

...are the most reliable, dependable, safest, will feed any type ammo, most well built to last autos ever assembled by an American plant. Can I get an witness in the house today?:D

_DEF3638aa.jpg

But.........

that extra weight really tames the 45acp and 40 caliber. They actually weight in a little less than a Government Model 1911.

Magazine safeties are a good idea and the pistol can still be fired with the magazine out.

My recent purchase, a S&W 5906, I lent my camera out, so I'm posting the picture that the seller posted.

It's a police trade-in, the seller didn't charge extra to hand pick one for me, according to him, it's the best of his lot of 70+. There's no holster wear on the slide/frame and no noticeable grip wear either. The only odd thing is that the safety/decocker and slide catch look like they've been polished, but the rest of the slide & frame have that dull stainless steel look.

attachment.php

All different models - 9mm and .40 in the top picture, .45 and 10mm in the bottom picture. All DAO's except for the Shorty Forty...

TheSmithFamily002.jpg

TheSmithFamily004.jpg

The S&W 3rd Generation autos are my favorite autoloaders without question. My preference is for the Pre-TSW 1/2 cock DAO, but the TSW is OK too. All of my 3rd Gens are DAO at the moment, 3953, 4553 TSW, 4586, 4586 TSW, and 5946.

I have never found a more reliable series of autos, and they can generally be had used for a fraction of the new price.

100_0606.jpg

What can I say? I think I have a few witnesses.:) I'm looking for a 4513TSW NIB(if there is such an animal) or LNIB. I ran across one that hadn't been shot much but the magazine safety had been removed and the folks selling it were asking, IMHO, just a bit too much for it-no box, no papers and only one magazine.

A shot of my 4506(1990 vintage). I haven't had enough "fortitude" to buy one of the DAO versions yet.

_DEF3611a.jpg

Last edited:
...are the most reliable, dependable, safest, will feed any type ammo, most well built to last autos ever assembled by an American plant. Can I get an witness in the house today?

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I've said it before and so say I again, I honestly think you could hand cycle frozen green beans in these marvelous weapons.:D

Those pics have me drooling. I've got a 6906/4 at the top of my "to buy" list right now.

What are the S&W DAO triggers like? It looks like they have a fairly short throw?

The pre-TSW DAO trigger is really nice. The slide sets the hammer to have cock when it cycles, so the trigger pull fires the gun from half-cock. That means you can't second strike in the event of a misfire, but it also means a much nicer trigger than traditional DAOs. I think its a fair trade.

The TSW DAOs only set the hammer at quarter cock when the slide cycles, so the pull is longer and not as slick, but still without the ability to second strike.

Back