Road rage is real.

Things that can go wrong.

Visiting England, many years ago, I lived in Toronto then. Gassing up my rental VW fantastic little car! Stick shift.

Next to me, at another pump, a Jag XK? Sports car, long, low sports car.

CLANG! from under the hood (Bonnet) we both looked at each other, he lifted up the hood. A part of the spring system, to help lift this long heavy hood, had sheared a pin! And dropped down, and locked the steering. It took two of us to lift the hood.

The other driver sat on the island, white as a sheet. "I just came off the M6, and I was really speeding!" If he had been on one of those bends, placed there on purpose, to stop motorists falling asleep? I know, strange idea.
But he would have been dead!

And we get upset at a driver letting so one in?

Road rage is very real, especially down here in South Florida. Ego is the biggest contributor to problems and being the cooler and bigger person will save you from a lot of problems. I have had my fair share of near incidents and am lucky that they never really got out of hand. Lots of hot heads down here and lots of armed drivers. Better to get there 5 minutes late than never at all. I avoid trouble like the plague, but if it finds me, I am prepared.

I was making my across a boulevard from the parking lot to a stadium when about half way across the boulevard car and pickup drivers rolled their windows down to make there booos more effective. It was about that time I realized I was in a state that had a major problem with managing anger.

I started to turn around and head back to the parking lot like I had forgot something, and then I thought about pretending I membered what it was I had forgot and then turn around and continue to the stadium; but I could not keep a straight face and broke out laughing, I gave them a glance and then gave them a wave; non of them were smiling, I did not slow down or act as thought I was in fear.

And then I thought my memory left me, I could have sworn Georgia beat Oklahoma, and then I wondered why were they angry at me.

F. Guffey

The parking lot reminded me of something. This would have been about 1996 or 1997, around there. A friend and I had gone to a concert and were parked at the top of a parking garage. The place was packed (which is how we ended up on top). Trying to leave was pointless, it was just a big traffic jam.

Someone would beep and then everyone would beep! I beeped too. In all of that you'd hear one single "a-ooga" horn and you'd hear one guy, screaming, "SHUT UP! STOP IT!!!!"

I looked at my friend and smiled. He said "don't you do it, don't!" I carressed the horn button and kept smiling....BEEEP!!!! And it all started again, including the "a-ooga" horn and screaming guy. :) :) :)

Road Rage ?
Just drive down any street in Manhattan NYC , the vain on my neck looked like a fire hose . I moved to Long island where I don't have to drive around looking for parking space . During the gas shortage I saw a guy turn into a gas station , he didn't realize the line down the street two blocks long was a gas line . He pulled up to the pump , a guy pulled up next to him as he was pumping gas screaming at him an pulled out a tire iron from his trunk . The guy pumping explained he didn't realize there was a line , didn't help . The guy with the tire iron came towards him , the guy pumping removed the hose an drenched him with gas an said come any closer I'll light you up. That calmed things down . Made me laugh all day when I thought of it . Had to be there , people need space , when we're all jammed together bad things happen . I'm a Southerner at heart , when serving in the military I spent some time down south , the most honorable , fun loving people I ever met .

@ cw308,

I know why the guns laws are so strict in New York. With the lousy drivers there, road rage would escalate into shootings every few seconds. Being from South Florida, I believe that I can drive with the worst of them.

First experience: I flew into Laguardia and had barely gotten out of the car rental area when a tow truck totally cuts me off and slams on the brakes in front of me. Not sure what his issue was as I did not do anything to affect him in any way.

Second experience: Had just gotten out of the Holland Tunnel. Traffic was rerouted some how causing crazy congestion. Nobody in New York understands the idea of "DON'T BLOCK THE BOX" and totally jammed up the intersection. about 2-3 cars were getting through on each light cycle. The other side of the intersection was totally clear in the direction we were heading. What a bunch of morons!

No offense, but I would not live in New York if I was guaranteed double what I am making now. We have enough bad drivers down here. LOL

Just came across a road rage case in Texas. Guy, we’ll call him S1, tried to ram a family off the road. The driver, we’ll call him V1, drew a gun and fired back while they both drove down the highway. V1 pulled off and called police. S1 pulled over about a mile back and waited. S1 confessed to police he had some anger issues and did everything V1 accused him of doing.

V1 was told there may be some issues with him firing down the highway; but assured he would be all right and wasn’t arrested. Nine months later, the grand jury indicted him on felony charges and he has to leave work to go turn himself in for arrest. His job, which had a policy to terminate on indictment, stuck their necks out for him and put him on paid leave.

Six months later, his case is going nowhere and his employer is getting tired of paying him not to work. They stick their necks out again and put him back to work, though he is now basically forbidden from meeting any non-employees without a minder and if one of his fellow co-workers even jumps when he sneezes, he is done. He also misses out on a well-earned merit pay promotion because he hasn’t worked in six months so his evaluations are limited to “average” by policy.

Over two years after the initial incident, the charges are dismissed and his name is cleared. And this was a GOOD outcome! Nobody dead or injured. He kept his job and house. He got reasonable bail and a chance to turn himself in, so minimal jail time. Just out some merit pay, a mediocre eval at work and two years worth of criminal defense attorney fees.

That’s what is at stake here in gun friendly Texas when the guy confesses.

Just came across a road rage case in Texas. Guy, we’ll call him S1, tried to ram a family off the road. The driver, we’ll call him V1, drew a gun and fired back while they both drove down the highway. V1 pulled off and called police. S1 pulled over about a mile back and waited. S1 confessed to police he had some anger issues and did everything V1 accused him of doing.

V1 was told there may be some issues with him firing down the highway; but assured he would be all right and wasn’t arrested. Nine months later, the grand jury indicted him on felony charges and he has to leave work to go turn himself in for arrest. His job, which had a policy to terminate on indictment, stuck their necks out for him and put him on paid leave.

Six months later, his case is going nowhere and his employer is getting tired of paying him not to work. They stick their necks out again and put him back to work, though he is now basically forbidden from meeting any non-employees without a minder and if one of his fellow co-workers even jumps when he sneezes, he is done. He also misses out on a well-earned merit pay promotion because he hasn’t worked in six months so his evaluations are limited to “average” by policy.

Over two years after the initial incident, the charges are dismissed and his name is cleared. And this was a GOOD outcome! Nobody dead or injured. He kept his job and house. He got reasonable bail and a chance to turn himself in, so minimal jail time. Just out some merit pay, a mediocre eval at work and two years worth of criminal defense attorney fees.

That’s what is at stake here in gun friendly Texas when the guy confesses.

What was the felony V1 was indicted for and what happened to S1?

Bartholomew Roberts said:

Emphasis added. Does this part sound a bit nutty?

Do you think an indictment would have issued Against V1 if he had stopped his car in a defensive effort?

I do not know how S1’s situstion turned out. V1 was charged with deadly conduct.

Do you think an indictment would have issued Against V1 if he had stopped his car in a defensive effort?

I agree with you that I think the grand jury wished to send a very strong message that rolling firefights were looked at with disfavor; but I’m just guessing.

Society has become increasingly intolerant and concurrently, violent. Media programming and desensitization play a role in this.

When I was in San Francisco, a father and his two teenage sons were killed by a gangbanger who mistook them for being gangbangers.

I'm glad I live in the country now and people are much more polite here.

I know why the guns laws are so strict in New York. With the lousy drivers there, road rage would escalate into shootings every few seconds.

An argument made each time gun carry laws are relaxed or Stand Your Ground comes up for a vote. After the law passes, these predictions never come to pass.

Getting doused with gasoline probably would have a moderating effect on behavior! :p

Shooting across a highway: that's what happens when a person doesn't have a plan for how to handle such things. Glad it worked out for him but he'll think before he shoots next time.

I had a lady (early 20's) tell me that she "chased after people when they cut her off in traffic." When I cautioned her how dangerous and illegal that was she said she "would just shoot him." :eek:

To her credit, she listened while I explained how Stand Your Ground works and how it doesn't work. She then told me her dad "waved his gun out the window to a guy that cut him off once."

I explained to her how illegal that was and how lucky her dad is no one called that in.

When somebody undertakes the serious and grave responsibility of “directing traffic,” that person assumes the liability that goes along with that responsibility, just as a police officer directing traffic at the scene would.

Police officer directing traffic has no responsibility at all. "Qualified immunity" (which you don't have) As long has he or she goes home at the end of the shift it's a good day, whether anyone else survives or not.

A mere mortal undertaking that job doesn't have immunity. So leave it to the so-called experts. (also, don't trust those experts if they tell you to merge into to traffic unsafely)

Now we are into "directing traffic," "qualified immunity," and "mere mortals."

Must be a joy to ride or share the road with you guys. On the flip side we could write a book called Legal Perils of Road Courtesy. :p

Must be a joy to ride or share the road with you guys.
The fact that a person is aware of, and understands, the risks of certain aspects of interacting in traffic doesn't imply that person is a discourteous driver or unpleasant to share the road with.

:p

The fact that a person takes a few seconds of their time to let someone else into or out of traffic does not imply that person is unaware of or fails to understand the risks of certain aspects of interacting in traffic.

I have to compliment you though, we've disagreed on this for 3 pages now and you have not used your staff rating against me. Kudos.

99% of the people in my town hate me because I obey speed limits. No one else seems to care.

... and because I accelerate / decelerate gradually, which saves brakes and fuel.

The fact that a person takes a few seconds of their time to let someone else into or out of traffic does not imply that person is unaware of or fails to understand the risks of certain aspects of interacting in traffic.
Just so there's no confusion, the act of one driver allowing a second driver merge into traffic in front of the first driver is not really the issue here and that has already been explicitly stated.

The idea of "directing traffic" specifically refers to one driver waving another driver across lanes of traffic, or into traffic, OTHER than the lane that the signaling driver occupies. In other words, to the type of situation where one driver tries to "...stop traffic to allow people to cross the road...". That is the situation that is especially risky, not the scenario where a driver simply lets someone merge in front of him/her.

99% of the people in my town hate me because I obey speed limits. No one else seems to care.

... and because I accelerate / decelerate gradually, which saves brakes and fuel.

My wife has told me that I drive like an old man for years. She, otoh, must be at the speed limit by halfway down the block, but she never speeds or violate any other laws.

When I drive, she watches the road like a hawk and never pays the slightest attention to me. At least every mile or so she tells me about something or or even screams out loud "BRAKE!"when the brakes are already on.

A while back there was a rancorous decision that I would NEVER drive with her in the car again, and the last time I did I put her in the back seat.

Imagine what that does to one's concentration, and mood as driving.

I fully realize that I should do everything's le to avoid confrontation.

I drive......WAY too much. I average 55 K per year on the work car, I don't track the mileage on the other rigs as closely.

A couple of years ago Portland Or won the prize of having the most courteous drivers. Some magazine poll I think.

Courteous is one thing, directing traffic is quite another.

Am convinced that way too many folks do not know how a 4 way stop works.

Back