RIP Benchmade Knives

That pic in the first post looks like an illegal sawed-off shotgun to me. They cut the barrel without destroying the receiver first.

I am not defending Benchmark, but consider this: They are in a community (Portland metro area) where virtually all politicians are pretty far left and probably anti-gun. Benchmark is probably secretly terrified that the anti-gunners will become anti-knifers. That is why they give to local politicians; to buy goodwill. Think anti-knife policies won't happen? It has already happened in England.

My hangup with them is that they are donating to anti-gun democrats. The NM dem they donate to is definitely anti-gun, regardless.

Here's a decent write up: https://gununiversity.com/is-benchmade-knife-company-anti-gun/

I have a Benchmade that I inherited from my brother-in-law. It's a decent knife that I have in my daily load out. I doubt I'll pitch it over this but I doubt I'll buy another unless BM starts donating to the NRA or GOA or something similar.

--Wag--

The guns belonged to the state of Oregon either because the previous owners no longer wanted them or because of forfeiture due to criminal use. They were ordered to be destroyed by a judge. Nothing wrong with that, they own 'em can do with them as they wish. It's not like legally owned guns were confiscated and destroyed.

The local LE had neither the skills nor equipment to destroy the guns. Benchmade did and allowed their equipment to be used. Good on them for assisting local LE.

None of this says anything about where anyone stands on gun rights. Maybe they are anti, maybe not. But this is a big no story here.

I’m sure there’s angle grinders and a workbench at the city and county maintenance facilities, just saying

And it is stupid to use a hand held angle grinder when the Public Works/Water dept probably has a metal chop saw for pipe that would take seconds per gun. Strange choice of help considering the easier, faster and readily at hand alternatives. PR stunt.

benchmade are the least expensive quality made auto knives you can find. id love a microtech but only have benchmade money.

Virtue signaling. Don't recall too many news stories showing illegal drugs or counterfeit money being destroyed.

Careful there. You are going to let reason and logic cloud the issues here. And they do burn the pot when they get enough for a big bonfire. Everybody shows up and brings Hotdogs and beer.;)

But it sort of makes you wonder who took the pics and posted them? What was the purpose?

A big no story?

BM is catching hell all across the interwebs, they've stepped into Dicks sporting goods territory! They might not go out of business but they're going to be hurting for a long time.

Like I pointed out, the OCPD used the cities tools before to destroy weapons. BM should have told them no thanks or at least said "no pictures". Obviously someone used very poor decision making skills and thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

Bet they wish that they could turn back the clock now, even other knife manufacturers are rubbing their noses in it. Not a good policy to piss off gun owners, hunters... that are probably into knives also.

I’m surprised that thier Facebook and Instagram pages are still up because they are getting absolutely hammered. Right or wrong, harmless civic duty or conspiracy theory, whatever the motive doesn’t matter anymore because people are angry at them, very angry.

What’s being posted here is unicorns, cream puffs and kittens compared the the vengeance of the rest of the Internet.

It is really surprising how ignorant some companies are of their customer base. Even gun writers like Dick Metcalf stepped on his...well you know. Leatherman hosts Obama and when I wrote to them the CEO replied with a whiny petulant rant.

As an average Joe all I know is that every gun owner I know also carries a folder and probably has more than one quality knife. On the other hand, I don’t know any owners of a quality folding knife that is not also a gun owner. Of course there are exceptions in both cases but I believe there is a huge overlap in the Venn diagram of Gun Owners and Benchmade Knife Owners.

If I were a gun supporting company and was asked by the local PD to destroy some guns you can be damn sure I would have the press release right handy explaining why and that we’re having a BBQ with gun raffle giveaway later or something. Lacking this makes me wonder whether they thought at all.

I’m sure there’s angle grinders and a workbench at the city and county maintenance facilities, just saying

....then not only would folks be snibbling about innocent guns being destroyed, but they'd be snibbling about it being done on Tax-Payer dollars.

Can’t think of a reason. Looks like a publicity stunt that backfired.

Backfired to who? I'd bet iffin one would look hard enough on social media, one could find just as many positive comments about this, as the negative ones on a few random gun forums. The majority of folks, regardless of al the snibbling about this around them, are gonna just go......."meh", and won't remember anything about this in a day or so.

I loathe government and cops, or their spokespeople, who hide behind ambiguity.

....many folks say the same thing about us gun enthusiasts hiding behind an ambiguous amendment, even tho it's crystal clear to us.

Like it or not, there are guns being destroyed somewhere in the country each and everyday. It ain't gonna go away. Making a mountain over a molehilll in this one example ain't gonna change a thing. I'm not for the wanton destruction of firearms, but it is what it is.

Doing one's best, in their best ways !!!

Was this right?
Probably not !! …

Was this wrong?
Likely !!!

Was it Stupid?
Absolutely !!!

Be Safe !!!

It is curious as they are in a similar business and the sooner guns are off the streets, the sooner their product will be redefined as an assault folders :-)

Not too concerned about the cutting up guns. I am concerned that Benchmade and Surefire apparently both have donated tens of thousands of dollars to politicians who sponsor and promote egregious gun control laws.*

*Just going by what I’ve seen cut & pasted into different threads on this subject. I haven’t actually confirmed this myself as of yet.

And maybe the authorities trusted BM to actually destroy them.........As has been mentioned, they are located in a very Blue state so there may be political playing on their part to appease the current elected folks.

And maybe the authorities trusted BM to actually destroy them.....
I’m fairly confident that the authorities witnessed the destruction of the guns. I was also under the impression that you cannot do any transfers in Oregon without a background check... not even face to face. The same authorities that witnessed the knife shop destruction could witness the destruction at a public facility. I also have OSHA concerns about the manner in which they were destroyed. I see a stock on fire and an angle grinder in use. Can’t see the faces to see if proper ppe is being worn but at least one person is working with jewelry on.
They lost credibility at the “special tools required” when I only see some really really super ordinary common tools. So why lie about special tools? I’ve worked in local governments. Any tool needed to cut up a firearm is in the cities’ own facilities. So again, why lie about special equipment needed. I have the “equipment” used sitting on my home workbench. In a pinch, a Walmart hacksaw would have been able to cut them.

Back