RIP Benchmade Knives

Sometimes it's not about hurting the offender, it's about pride in what you believe. I don't care about Dicks, Levi's, Gander Outdoor's, or Benchmades sales.
I just want to say I stick to my principles and prove it with my wallet.

This knife arrived this week and was going to be a Benchmade Bugout.
Massdrop_Gent.jpg

Last edited:
Reference Double Naught Spy's comments on Dick's, it should be noted that Dick's is not a "gun" store.

Right, so the boycott really pretty much just failed. Like I said, we do best when we eat our own. We can hurt gun companies, but we don't seem to be doing well with non-gun companies...like that 20+ year boycott of Citibank. You would think that by now, they should be caving in if we were truly having an impact. Not really. Target? Wells Fargo? Other non-gun businesses? Neh. It makes us feel good, but the truth of the matter is that far too many people boycotting will cheat out of convenience (excuses are numerous), and other far too few people will boycott - us really not having enough people to really make a difference to the business, not such that it will change its business practices. We will feel good ourselves knowing that we voted with our dollar elsewhere, but 'elsewhere' probably won't have a clue as to why we even decided to go with them just like the boycotted business won't miss us.

Dick's is thriving without us.

Dick's is thriving because they went the larger demographic - the soccer mom and kids versus the gun owner......and like it or not, in that comparison we lose EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. They are buying expensive team gear for the kids, gym clothes for themselves, exercise equipment, hubby is buying golf gear, etc. ALL of those items have margins from 40 to 100% and more...........let's get real here; WE are the abused, adopted red-headed step child to any sporting goods store/chain.

I've been done with Benchmade for quite a few years. I have a few of their knives, but I don't think they are worth the money they are charging, especially their "Gold Class" stuff. Their blades are thinner than most other brands at .12". Spyderco blades are .14" thick and they come in just about every blade steel under the sun. They don't have as many different designs as Benchmade, but they make good solid knives. I have really taken a liking to Zero Tolerance Knives. They are a bit more than the regular Benchmades, but they use premium steels and are overbuilt. The blade on my 562 CF is made of M390 and has a blade thickness of .16". I also have a few Microtechs including a Socom and LUDT. Great knives that are far better made than Benchmades.

I have read most of these posts. A few suggested that Benchmade should stand in with the pro gun crowd.

I can't help but wonder what would happen to knife sales if all guns were suddenly banned and could that be reasoning for their philosophy.

I can't help but wonder what would happen to knife sales if all guns were suddenly banned and could that be reasoning for their philosophy.

ahh.........there it is, the conspiracy theory! Not just a simple conspiracy, but a multiple! The ultimate destruction of all guns and then, unprecedented sales(and profits of course!) of knives to folks than need to replace their EDC! Brilliant!

OMG........the best laugh I've had in a long, long time.

I have read most of these posts. A few suggested that Benchmade should stand in with the pro gun crowd.

And when knife attacks go up, they'll ban knives and we will look like the UK

The fact is that a LOT (if not all) of Benchmade's knives fall within a general category of "weapons." That makes them "arms" within the context of the Second Amendment so, if Benchmade had any sense, they would see that their products are protected by the Second Amendment just as much (or as little!) as firearms. So the reality is that they should stand with the pro-gun crowd, because it's a virtual certainty that if the anti-gunners ever succeed in eliminating private ownership of guns, knives will be next on their agenda.

Of course, there's a lot of money to be made by an anti-gun knife company before that day arrives.

We will feel good ourselves knowing that we voted with our dollar elsewhere, but 'elsewhere' probably won't have a clue as to why we even decided to go with them just like the boycotted business won't miss us.

I can’t control the whole world. I can only do what I think is right, whether it benefits me or not. And I won’t support companies who support anti-2A politicians.

Luckily, it is ‘t much of a sacrifice. When I was growing up and went to the grocery store, you had four choices for apples: Red, Yellow, Green, or no apples. Now I have to Google the six hundred varieties of apples in my non-fancy supermarket to even have a clue what I am buying. Now I can buy organic varieties of an apple I’ve never heard of before that is grown in an orchard that employs only disabled veterans and splits their profits between an alapaca rescue and the NRA. We have plenty of choices.

And to be clear, I also believe in forgiveness for the sincerely repentant. Benchmade is going to the NRA show according to Tom Gresham, so they have an opportunity to come clean. I’m skeptical they will since they’ve managed to sidestep every opportunity thus far like a teenage meth addict playing Frogger.

Not sure if they are currently available but they do come up on a regular basis. If they are not in stock you will have to wait until they have enough pre-sales to manufacture more. They are worth the wait.
They get very good ratings from nearly everyone who has one. Youtube is full of information. I had a $400 Chris Reeve Mnandi that was not nearly as useable as this $80 beauty.
I removed the link as it required a login. For information, search engine of your choice or Youtube Massdrop Gent.

Last edited:
gnystrom, your link takes me to a site that requires me to log in before I can see anything. That's not useful, and it's definitely not going to happen.

gnystrom, your link takes me to a site that requires me to log in before I can see anything. That's not useful, and it's definitely not going to happen.
Sorry. I was logged in and did not know it required one to do so. For information check out Youtube Massdrop Gent. You will get the features, specs, and then you can decide how to go further.
I will edit out my link in my previous post.

And I won’t support companies who support anti-2A politicians.

Almost unquestionably, you are. If you are dealing with corporate America, you are. If you are dealing with products made by corporate America, you are.

Ford, GM, AT&T, Sprint, Walmart, etc. etc. etc. They all do it.

You are on the internet. Chances are the device you are using comes from a company that made contributions to anti-2a Democrats and your internet signal is coming from a company that did the same thing.

Maybe a bit of a strawman argument. In this case, Benchmade went out of their way to contribute to anti-gun politicians in other states. That is something I struggle with not to mention they obviously don't know their market. The corporations you name are manufacturing products based on strong national demand. Cost being one of the greatest drivers from both the manufacturing and sales end. Specialty markets like guns and knives, people can be far selective before making their purchase.

I didn't go through the enormous slush pile here, but some of it.

I have a few things to say. First, I don't think that bench made should have gotten involved in it. Destruction of guns after buybacks, criminal activity, etc, destruction of a good firearm is a shame unless. Many shooters object strenuously (i sure do) to some of the practices. For a company that makes knives that are shooting accessories to grab that tar baby by the scrotum and brag about it on facebook was stupid with a capitol you.

There were hundreds of alternative shops that could have done that work and gained positive response from the community at large without making anyone have a hissy fit. Every plumber has a metal chop saw or they can be bought for a few hundred bucks. Smash the magazine, cut barrel, slide and receiver and that gun is beyond repair.

A welder could have laid metal in the chamber or barrel and welded the trigger mechanism of the receiver. A cutting torch could cut through the chamber and burn through the trigger group. lots of places can provide a hydraulic press that could crush barrels and slides. Destroying either a handgun or a longarm isn't that hard. five or ten minutes each, tops. Cheap as well.

I can't fault the cops. Why on earth would they ask their armorer to spend several days every few months destroying the collected garbage? he's going to be paid and there are costs involved with the tools.

But they didn't want to do it quietly. so they went to a prominent factory. Benchmade said "yup yup yup, durr, we'll do it for ya!" The police made a public event out of it and benchmade is now having to face the consequences of destroying precious things at the behest of "the man".

It's somewhat like burning books and records. It made the people who did it feel pious and righteous, but there are always people who are deeply offended to see this happen.

Remember pictures like this from prohibition, publicizing the destruction of products
800px-5_Prohibition_Disposal%289%29.jpg
and businesses alike? (wikipedia)

If my stolen shotgun is destroyed after a 'no questions' gun buy, that's just as bad as someone invading my cellar and pouring my bottle of pappy van winkle down my floor drain.

DoubleNaughtSpy said:
Almost unquestionably, you are. If you are dealing with corporate America, you are. If you are dealing with products made by corporate America, you are.

Well, I guess I’ll just have to do what I can where I can then. In my world view, not being able to achieve perfection isn’t an excuse to not try.

I apologize if I somehow gave you the impression that I personally vetted every company I deal with for Second Amendment compliance and walked around in sackcloth. I didn’t think it was necessary to explain that; which only goes to show how naive and hopeful I still am after 18 years of discussing firearms on the Internet.

Back