Report of Worn Holster causing AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats true, and that is an advantage with those type guns.

The 1911's, only if youre aware the safety was off though. A proper 1911 holster usually protects the thumb safety from your body/clothing, and wont let you get your thumb on it, until its come clear. Still, they always seem to find a way to get knocked off, even in the good holsters.

I really think the problem here was a poor choice of holster, and complacency that comes with familiarity.

He obviously did "something" wrong in holstering the gun at some point, to get the side caved in like that. Having tried similar holsters early on, I know what they are like and what problems they generate, especially if you are the least bit active. I was always readjusting the gun (pushing it back down) throughout the day, as every time you sit or squat close to something, the muzzle can catch and force the gun up, and even out of the holster. Do it enough, and it becomes second nature, and done without thought. Not good with something that needs attention paid to it, and especially if youre constantly handling it.

Incidents such as this remind me why I carry a 1911. I have two mechanical safety devices, either of which would have prevented this from occurring.

NEGLIGENCE

The failure to use reasonable care. The doing of something which a reasonably prudent person would not do, or the failure to do something which a reasonably prudent person would do under like circumstances.

Was the fold in the holster noticeable?
Is it reasonable to notice the condition of your holster?
Would a prudent person who noticed the fold in the holster continue to use the holster?

If all the above answers are yes, then using the holster would be negligent.

As the OP said:
This truly brings home the importance of taking care of your equipment and ensuring it’s in proper working order. Hopefully you can learn from my situation and prevent an accident like this from happening to you

Regardless, this post is an opportunity for readers to learn that they should inspect their equipment, not just the firearm and ammunition; for proper condition and function on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Incidents such as this remind me why I carry a 1911. I have two mechanical safety devices, either of which would have prevented this from occurring.
If youre relying on them simply because they are there, and dont check them both for function on a regular basis, and dont use a proper holster as well, you very well may have the same issue as this boy did.

If you werent paying attention, and the thumb safety were off, the grip safety would be of no help here, as it would be disengaged if you were gripping the gun, and that light, SA trigger is even more unforgiving.

Regardless, this post is an opportunity for readers to learn that they should inspect their equipment, not just the firearm and ammunition; for proper condition and function on a regular basis.
There ya go.

Threads merged.

There are many pistols on the market with either no external safety at all or some sort of trigger safety as the sole external safety of the firearm. When these guns are being carried, the holster is part of the safety system of the handgun and should be treated as such.

When carrying a pistol like the ones described above, the holster should be carefully chosen.
  • It should completely cover the trigger and triggerguard. That will allow the edge of the holster around the trigger guard to be supported by the gun and will keep it from being pushed inward and folding/creasing. That will not only protect the trigger, it will also help the holster maintain its integrity over time.
  • It should be stiff enough in the region of the triggerguard to completely prevent the trigger from being manipulated by the holster or an outside influence. The edge should be reinforced or should be thick enough that it can't be folded or pushed inward enough to contact the trigger.
  • It should hold the gun securely enough that the pistol can't easily be bumped/pushed/squeezed up out of the holster far enough to expose the trigger/triggerguard.
As part of the safety system, it should be checked occasionally to make sure it is still "operational" in all the above respects.

Holsters WILL wear out and it's best to determine that a holster is at the end of its duty life during a regular inspection as opposed to by hearing an unexpected loud noise--either an unintentional discharge or the clatter of your gun hitting the floor after a fall from a worn holster.

The holster in question here, is one of those "one size fits most" types, and that in itself, is part of the problem. Most things advertised as do all, or fits all, dont do, or fit, to many things, well.

Your best bet is to get a holster made and fitted for the gun.

Glocks arent the only gun to have accidental discharges, and if anything, its probably more of a numbers thing with them than anything else.

At this point, not even counting those in civilian hands, with all the police and other agencies that issue/authorize them, there are probably just more of them floating around, many of which are in the hands of people that arent "gun" people, and its just another tool on their belt.

To be perfectly honest, those people are probably better off with the Glock, than a 1911. I'd be willing to bet, you'd see a lot more unintended discharges with condition 1 1911's in the hands of the nations police forces, than you do with Glocks.

Regardless what the gun is, if you arent properly trained, assuming youre even trainable at all (its not just your basic lay people, Ive seen some pretty scary "trained" cops and military people with guns), its not going to matter what you have. Add to that, being cheap, and buying one holster, for all your handguns, and the race is on.

Yes, its obvious the holster was badly worn/creased and should have not been in use.
It's also obvious that if it were to have been a style of pistol with an external safety, this probably wouldn't have happened since the safety would have had to not be set and the trigger also pulled.

Its plain that if this guy had paid the least bit of attention to his gear this wouldn't have happened. Im sure he crammed is pistol in the holster without a second look or though.

Stupid hurts and sometimes kills, its not the guns fault or the holsters the operator was clearly careless in checking his equipment and in verifying that he had placed the gun into the holster correctly.

Last edited:

Absolutely right. Those Glocks without safetys do not seem safe to me. Stuff happens. The Army and Colt knew what they were doing when they designed the safety system on the 1911. A slide safety at a minimum.

Could easily have happened to a 1911 with the thumb safety disengaged, which isnt all that uncommon.
Have to squeze the handle on mine it has 2 safeties.

Did he get a new holster? Anyone owns glocks recommend a good one for this person?

A slide safety at a minimum.
Can you explain?

Have to squeze the handle on mine it has 2 safeties.
Gripping the gun disengages the grip safety.

Now youre down to one.

Pushing the gun into the holster takes the grip safety out of it, unless you do something out of the norm.

Anyone owns glocks recommend a good one for this person?
I would recommend that anyone not use that holster. This isnt a "Glock" issue, its a holster issue.

I find it annoying that someone will buy a gun for conceal carry and then cheap out on a holster. Sure i could buy a $700 gun and a $16 holster. But i'd rather buy a $656 gun and a $60 holster. I mean its a very important part of your conceal carry combination, so it should be quality make and generally if you spend in the $60-80 range for a holster your going to get quality/comfort/long life out of it. Im a huge crossbreed fan, and while your not gonna find a 20 dollar holster from them, you know when you get a holster from them its going to last and its going to be comfortable. Not to mention great retention and its going to fit your gun like a glove.

Pushing the gun into the holster takes the grip safety out of it, unless you do something out of the norm.

Dont have to push it down after it is in mine and the retention that goes over the gun is snapped, it dont ride free and move around.

I would recommend that anyone not use that holster. This isnt a "Glock" issue, its a holster issue.

Didnt say it was a glock issue, I asked if anyone recommended qa holster for his glock, the one I use wont work for him and I dont have any glocks but if I did I would get a holster made for that gun. Own a glock? ok with me, I dont have any plastic fantastics in my safe I prefer all metal. it is just me it dont mean they are inferior or unable to do the job. Just not my pref.

Heck you even said tha same thing:

Your best bet is to get a holster made and fitted for the gun

chill pill in order

I find it annoying that someone will buy a gun for conceal carry and then cheap out on a holster.
I see it every day. Holster, belt, and ammunition are essential parts of the setup. If any of those elements is lacking, the whole setup is suspect.

So, when I hear someone saying they want to carry a gun, but they "don't want to spend a lot of money" on ammunition or the holster, it makes me worry.

Furthermore, as others have mentioned, it is the responsibility of the owner to verify that all those elements are in good working order on a regular basis.

lessons learned... carry a pistol that has a mechanical safety, preferably two like a 1911 :rolleyes:

I know tons of people carry "safe action" pistols like Glock's but this isnt the first time I've heard of them going off without direct intervention of mr finger or mr brain dead handling.

It's his holster, the gun can slip up, then a finger gets in there or a object and discharge, Glad hes ok.

Ccouple years ago a kid around Sayreville NJ accidentally shot and killed himself with a Glock. I don't recall the specifics about his carry method, but pretty sure he was shot in the leg and bled to death. While looking for that article (which I cannot find) I did come across this one...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/morris_county_cop_accidentally.html

I cannot say "sweatpants" are a great carry method for a Glock, but this one is on record as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaxico_Burress Mr. Finger was the ultimate cause of this one... well and a retarded carry method.

Its just not a forgiving design. Granted, you cannot treat a weapon with a safety on as "safe", but at least the damn thing won't go off if you get a little crease in your holster one day. In the case of a 1911, you would have to first disengage the thumb safety, then press the grip safety, then have something moving the trigger. Its just a lot less probable of happening. Lets say some day you get hung up accidentally while holstering. With a Glock if you get hung on the trigger the thing will go off. With somthing with a mechanical safety, you would have to forget/not engage it, or have a mechanical failure, AND make the mistake while holstering. We're only human after all.... a topic i'm sure that's been been to death many times over.

Ehh... Glocks trigger safety. Why would they put a safety on the trigger? Makes no sense! If you get hung on the trigger you want to safety to NOT be on the trigger! They say advantage, I say liability.

Last edited:
I think the idea of the safety in the face of the trigger was to make the gun "drop safe," if you follow me. That's the same reason Colt put the firing pin safety in their guns. True, it makes it harder to take out the firing pin (already hard enough before) and it adds another moving part but it isn't a bad idea to have a gun that won't go off if you drop it. But that's the only reason.

Glock could have made the pistol a double-action-only to begin with but I suppose they had their reasons. DAO automatic pistols have been around since before my father was born but apparently a lot of people either don't see the point or simply don't like them. Come to think of it, there were double action revolvers (pepperboxes) before the Civil War.

Single action revolvers, which have been around for a very long time, were apparently quite accident prone, especially during the days of fast draw.

Why would you put the safety on the trigger?... They say advantage,I say liability.

100 percent agree sirsloop.

Don't know for sure but I'd also think that it was cheaper, production wise, for Glock to put (what they refer to a safety) on the trigger rather than design a true external lever type(real) safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back