Report of Worn Holster causing AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this was caused more by the type of gun the op was using then the
type of holster. I have been using a Galco slide holster for my Para 10-45
for over 5 years, and havent had anything like that happen to me. And, it
doesnt require me to "readjust" it all the time, either. Glocks are famous for
AD'S, and that why i wont buy another til they put a manual safety on them!

This applies to me and me only and does not mean that I have animosity towards anyone who does not agree with me. I will not carry any handgun with a round in the chamber that does not have one or both of these: manual safety and/or grip safety.

Again it is no personal to anyone who carries a Glock or similar weapon. It is irrefutable that they are one of the finest and most reliable weapons out there. For the money, I think they are the most durable, well made weapon. I just cannot get past no grip or manual safety. I feel the same way about revolvers, S&W M&P's with no manual safety, Sigs with no manual safety,Kel Tecs, Rugers, etc.

Due to the Glocks great slide action, I would carry it Israeli style if I owned one. The time needed to rack the slide would also serve as time to determine shoot/no shoot.

Steve: Hindsight is 20/20 but here goes: "One word----Kydex". Remember when Glock came out with their holsters? Ugly----yes sir they are but they work. I really like the concealment potential for the Glock 19 in relation to the capacity. I am not a 9mm fan but if I owned one, there is a good chance it would be a Glock 19. For the size, the firepower is excellent. Everyone I have been around has been reliable and very accurate.

I am a platform guy when it comes to pistols. My go-to is the 1911 platform. It is more than just the .45ACP cartridge, it is the total package. The G19 is to me, the best platform for the 9mm round when all things are considered.

I want you to know this lest you think I am a Glock basher. I have owned two and will probably own a G19 before it is all said and done. I will carry it Israeli style.

This is not meant as a slam against Glocks, I believe in "to each his own." But, this is the very reason I sold all my Glocks. They can and do go "boom" when the trigger is pulled, and there is no other mechanism to prevent it from happening. I still think Mr. Browning made one of the best designs ever which were carried thru to the High Power and to some extent the BDM.

Guy

They can and do go "boom" when the trigger is pulled, and there is no other mechanism to prevent it from happening.

What happened to the most important safety, the one between the ears?

I can easily see what happened here happening with any gun with a DA trigger, and SA triggers where the safety has been knocked off, are even worse. This wasnt a gun issue.

I have been using a Galco slide holster for my Para 10-45
for over 5 years, and havent had anything like that happen to me. And, it
doesnt require me to "readjust" it all the time, either.
But you do/did have to readjust it "sometime", right?

Im also willing to bet, once you start doing it and get used to it, you do it more than you think too.

A lot of this too, has to do with what you do, and how you do it. Some holsters are totally inappropriate for certain lifestyles.

I know with what I do for a living, using that type holster, Id be picking the gun up off the ground all day long. I need a holster that covers the bulk of the gun (especially the side against my body), and holds the gun securely without straps or snaps. I cant wear leather in the summer, and that pic of the holster in question isnt, or hasnt even been damp from my standpoint. Kydex really is one of the best holster materials going, and for a number of reasons.

Realistically, once that gun goes on your belt in the morning, you really shouldnt have to touch it for any reason (other than use), the rest of the day. If you are, then you need to work on something.

There shouldn't be any reason to hurry when reholstering a handgun.
Very true, but there are times when you need to and/or are distracted while doing so.

Complacency is another problem, and probably the worst of the lot. You get to comfortable doing things and you get sloppy.

I will not carry any handgun with a round in the chamber that does not have one or both of these: manual safety and/or grip safety.
Safeties are kind of a trick question kind of thing. People put great (or maybe "blind" is a better choice of words) faith in them, and then they are surprised, because something happens when they "shoudnt" have.

As Ive said earlier, I often found the thumb safties on my 1911's had been knocked off at some point during the day, and I had no idea until the gun was pulled from its holster that night for a wipe down. Ive also had a number of 1911's where the grip safeties were inoperable, right out of the box (you have and continually check yours for function, right?).

Using a holster like the one in this case, its entirely feasible that a 1911 or anything else for that matter, could have given the same result.

I think the real solution here, is to choose a proper holster for your lifestyle, and make sure it really is the right choice (that means experimenting with it and proving it beforehand). I know someone who spent $2500 on a pistol, and bought a $5 Uncle Mikes holster out of the bargain bin for it. Some people are just oblivious when to come to common sense. Then again, if you dont actually carry much, it might seem fine. That too can be part of the problem.

You also have to constantly pay attention to your gear and stay on top of it. You take care of the gun (I hope), why arent you giving the holster the same attention, and at the same time?

I still say it's a freak accident, which is not to say it isn't easy enough to understand. The thing is, I'm not about to bash the person so hard over the head about the things he has told us about. If I was him, I'd never make another post here about stupid things he's done. I've done my share of stupid things (only a few involving firearms or something dangerous) and I'd rather not subject myself to the kind of responses that could only be expected.

I for one am not able to maintain 100% attention 100% of the time. I am therefore an accident waiting to happen, or so I gather. But I would still be interesting to hear about the next holster the man picks out--or the next gun.

You know, I'm constantly having to readjust my belt, my pants, my tie. Are those hardware problems or software problems?

I have to agree the biggest safety is the one between the ears. From there it is all about comfort to me. I am not comfortable without a manual or grip safety when carrying a handgun with one in the pipe and as AK103K has wisely pointed out, even then things go wrong. The one common denominator I see here that I like is the idea of a firm or rigid holster covering the trigger guard.

This boils down to common sense, and knowing your gun. When carrying my Glock I'm always aware of anything touching the trigger. Even with the best holster your shirt can get wrapped up in the trigger guard and cause it to fire.

Practice is necessary for muscle memory, because if your stressed you will act as you've trainned.

I'm totally confident carrying a Glock with a chambered round. Just be aware.

Steve,

There is nothing I or anyone else can say that you haven't already said to yourself. So I'll just let it go with, I'm very happy that you and your wife are both OK. :):):):)

I just did some experimenting with the soft holster I referred to earlier. This forum often leads me to do experiments, if not to any new revelations.

My holster is made of real leather and is an inside the waistband style. It has an extra piece of leather around the edge and in the area where the clip is attached but there is no metal except for the clip itself. I prefer clips over loops so it can be used without a belt (while wearing suspenders). The clip holds it very securely, believe me, but holstering the gun is problematic. That is enough to make me want a different one, which would probably be more expensive.

I tried this using the two and only guns I have that would fit and I wasn't able to get any movement in the trigger at all. One gun is a Ruger P345, the other a Walther P5. My drill for holstering them is to put my thumb behind the hammer, so it is easy to feel any movement. However, the reason I do that is mainly to prevent the slide from moving. I wouldn't expect the hammer to move and not the slide, but obviously it could happen.

Now, the funny thing is that the leather is soft enough to fold and get in front of the trigger but only vertically, not horizontally. There isn't enough spare leather for there to be a vertical fold, if you follow me. But, on top of that, the leather is not stiff enough at that point to offer enough resistence to the trigger, enough to move the trigger. The leather isn't all that thick but probably not as thin as some of the suede leather holsters you can buy. The holster is quite comfortable to wear and the .45 Ruger is more comfortable than the 9mm Walther. How about that! And it doesn't squeak, either.

The entire problem and possibility could be prevented with a holster that entended up another two inches on the inside, even using soft leather, and it might even be more comfortable.

For me, this thread is an eye opener. And, for me, the evidence is strong. A Glock that is sans a manual safety it simply a dangerous firearm. I will never have one.

If that holster had the doubled up reinforcement at the mouth, which keeps it open for re holstering, this probably would never have happened.

Single layer leather holsters are pliable and tend to collapse even when they are dry and in perfect condition, add dampness, and catch an edge with the muzzle on holstering, and you can see where it might go. Look at that pic again, and think about what I just said.

If youre using a holster made like that, especially one thats made for IWB, or under the belt carry, you may want to think about moving up.

And, for me, the evidence is strong. A Glock that is sans a manual safety it simply a dangerous firearm.
The only thing that makes the Glock unsafe, is its user.

What happened here, could easily happened with a SIG, Beretta, S&W, or any gun with a DA trigger. Could easily have happened to a 1911 with the thumb safety disengaged, which isnt all that uncommon.

Not 'just as easily' AK103K. We'd need to know his trigger pull weight and that question has yet to be answered. If it was something like a 3.5 match trigger, it would require only half as much force as my issue G22, at 7.5 pounds.

Then there's the matter of travel. A full-length DA pull like the Beretta, Sig22X Series or the S&W Sigma simply requires a longer, more consistent (not to mention heavier) pressure stroke than a stock, Glock trigger.

If the gun and he did what I think happened, even a "heavy" trigger pull probably wouldnt have stopped this if the trigger were to be caught up in the holster like the pic.

Youre thinking of putting light pressure on a trigger, like with control with your finger, Im talking of shoving the gun into the holster with your body weight, or at the very least, the force of your whole arm behind it.

If he was accustomed to doing it, he most likely wouldnt have hesitated, and just pushed the gun home, as he'd done it on a regular basis before.

Youre thinking of putting light pressure on a trigger, like with control with your finger, Im talking of shoving the gun into the holster with your body weight, or at the very least, the force of your whole arm behind it.

Nope, we're talking about the same thing.

What happened here, could easily happened with a SIG, Beretta, S&W, or any gun with a DA trigger. Could easily have happened to a 1911 with the thumb safety disengaged, which isnt all that uncommon.
It's also easily avoided with those designs by pushing the gun into the holster with your thumb behind the hammer on a DA or using your thumb to hold the safety up on the 1911 as you holster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back