Report of Worn Holster causing AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...a 1911 or revolver wouldnt have gone off."

Wildalaska is right, the Glock is already half-cocked, with a short light pull it goes boom. Guess thats why other manufacturers make their triggers a very l-o-n-g pull.

If I were carrying a Glock, it would be in a non-stretchable holster, made of plastic or kydex or similar.

Or install an after-market external frame safety.

Only with a Glock. Reading that and looking at the pics, a 1911 or revolver wouldnt have gone off.

How do you figure? If you inserted a DA revolver INCORRECTLY and IRRESPONSIBLY into a holster as this fella did, it could pull back the trigger the same way the glock was fired.

Just my 2 cnets.
1st it is a Glock with the saftey on the trigger.
2nd the wearer knew he had a worn holster and continued to use it.

I finally looked at the photo. This falls right on the owner. We had a saying when I was much younger and it is, when you're dumb you suffer. I will classify this as a negligent discharge. The first time that corner of the holster folded in it should have been discarded and replaced.:eek:

Some of the pre-Model 1911 .45 automatics did not have thumb safeties, though they did have grip safeties. Supposedly some of the holsters made form them had a feature to help prevent the grip safety from being depressed, the same way the later holster for the .45 had a little bump (for want of a better word) to prevent the magazine release from being depressed while the pistol was being carried in the holster. If that wasn't enough, some of the early magazines even had a lanyard ring.

I finally realized that under some situations, a gun will want to slip out of the holster. The old S&W Model 3913LS was rather bad for that because of the tapered frame. So in my case, I've decided that a thumbsnap type of strap maybe isn't such a bad idea. Now if I could just keep the leather from squeaking. I mentioned the thing about the slide being pushed back upon reholstering. If you thought that carrying chamber empty would be a good idea (but let's not re-open that issue otherwise) because of the reason as described as the subject of this thread, then it would be possible to chamber a round without your being aware of it, thereby creating an unsafe situation. Of course, it would have to be pushed back quite a bit and if you already had a round chambered (like this Glock), then I don't know what would happen.

so is this really a holster issue or a gun issue? could you reasonably expect the same results with say a 1911? i have read over time other ad's with glocks and always there seems to have been some outside force that "caused" the ad and "not" the guns fault.

Seaman,

Thanks, I had no idea that aftermarket safeties for Glock existed. I knew about the very limited Glock versions, but not the aftermarket ones.

Too bad it's $75 each, that seems a bit high. Plus it's not clear how hard it is to install it. Looks likes some drilling is necessary.

Thanks,

I can't blame the gun. Using a decent holster is just as basic for a Glock as using the thumb safety is for a 1911. There are several semis besides Glocks that lack thumb safeties, as do all revolvers of which I am aware, and that holster would have been a risk for any of them.

Don P said:
I will classify this as a negligent discharge. The first time that corner of the holster folded in it should have been discarded and replaced.
Exactly. Another saying that comes to mind here is "penny-wise and pound-foolish." The OP was very lucky that neither he nor anyone else was seriously injured, or worse.

If you don't replace equipment that you know to be in an unsafe condition -- you're negligent.

How do you figure? If you inserted a DA revolver INCORRECTLY and IRRESPONSIBLY into a holster as this fella did, it could pull back the trigger the same way the glock was fired.

You would need to be twice as stupid to pull that stunt with a revolver :)

Thats the downside of Glocks. Yes they always go bang, just like an AK. But like an AK, their design is for folks who don't know how to use a flush toilet, ie, the lowest common denominator.

In trained or experienced hands, all the no safety plastic fantastics are wonderful. But in the hands of the untrained, inexperienced or irresponsible, which is their primary market, they can be a problem.

Thats why the XD is superior

Me and and my bud had to cut our shooting session last weekend a bit short due to plastigun people banging away next to us. Not worth our time to correct them, especially since the one doing the training of his totally lost partner was acting like a know it all...especially as he got a solid 12 inch group with his Polymer wondergun at 7 yard.

Of course I was a jerk too... when they asked for a cease fire, I asked them to hold to fire my last shot and proceeded to pop a clay pigeon fragment at 50 yards with my High Standard, then gave 'em a wink

WildstresscityheretodayAlaska ™©2002-2011

Overall, I'd have to call this a freak accident. It isn't something you hear about all that often, after all, though you do seem to hear more about Glock mishaps than about other guns. I have two automatics myself and one of them does not have a thumb safety by design, meaning it and a few others designed at the same time do not have them because they were designed to a certain specification that called for no safety switches (or words to that effect). But given that it was a German police specification, I can only assume they considered a pistol without one was still safe enough. My other one has a slide mounted safety that does not lock the slide. Both are hammer fired and do not have light triggers. Either way, it should tell you there is some risk to carrying around a loaded gun, though it is probably a lot less than driving back and forth to work.

I see the issue here and that is you did not use a Glock holster.
Glocks dont need special holsters. In fact, they really dont need a holster anymore than anything else, if your reasonable in you handling.

Now we know why there is a thumb safety on the 1911.
I carried 1911's most of my adult life, and on many occasions, the thumb safety got knocked off while in the holster sometime during the day. Ive also had a few 1911's that had inoperable grip safeties, right out of the box. The 1911's are just as dangerous as anything else, and arent immune to troubles. I learned a long time ago, you dont want a holster with a safety strap. I learned that with a 1911, and luckily, I caught it before it got to problem status.

The first time that corner of the holster folded in it should have been discarded and replaced.
While I agree for the most part, to be fair, this could have been the first time, and he got to learn his lesson right off. Lucky him. :)

so is this really a holster issue or a gun issue? could you reasonably expect the same results with say a 1911? i have read over time other ad's with glocks and always there seems to have been some outside force that "caused" the ad and "not" the guns fault.
Other than a part failing, whether you like it or not, it all comes down to user error.

I'd have to call this a freak accident.
I wouldnt call it a freak accident, just one that that had a high probability of the inevitable. I'll bet he had plenty of warnings all along, whether he knew it or not, either way, he chose to ignore them.

OK, why do you not want a holster with a safety strap?

Do you realize that the holster issued to German military police for the P7 has a thong type retaining strap, just like on Western style holsters from the 1950s. I was dumbfounded when I saw the photos, several, in fact, but apparently that's the setup they use. The rest of the army uses other pistols.

Safety straps cause problems reholstering (that strap is like a trigger finger if you dont mind it), and many times, they require two hands to get the gun back in. The strap in the trigger guard was the main reason I started to cut them off, and buying holsters without them.

I had a couple of brand name holsters that had them, and they were almost always unsnapped at the end of the day anyway. A good, form fitted holster, or one with tension screws is much better and simple.

I'm not in the Bundeswehr or the Polizei, so I could care less what they, or any other outfit does. I had a P7M13 when they first came out, and they do require a decent holster, especially if worn IWB appendix fashion. The guns are butt heavy and dont have enough barrel to keep them in your pants.

Unfortunately, when I had mine, decent holsters for them were about non existent, so you had to deal with what there was. I was more worried about the mag release being hit and dumping the mag than I was about the gun coming out though. Even when wearing a "pistol pocket" with the strap removed, the gun stayed put when it flipped out and hung upside down on my belt when I would bend over. Needless to say, I quit carrying it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back