Pulled over while carrying

SingleSix: As a full-time LEO, I appreciate my fellow citizens exercising their rights. I have yet to pull over such a person who was anything but polite and courteous. Knowing as I do that many LEOs have had their lives saved by CCW folks, I'm all for it. The only way I'll give them a hard time is if they have a CCW license, but yet are NOT carrying.

I suppose you were kidding about giving them a hard time. On trips I make going onto federal property I don't carry. I have yet to be stopped in Texas or anywhere in the past several years, since I got my CWP. But coming from a family who are in law enforcement, I am always respectful toward
law enforcement if I am stopped. I saw where some with lots of traffic tickets say they can't get their CWP renewed. I think that only happens in Texas if someone does not pay their tickets.:)

But I still notify. I really do not want to surprise the officer. In his place, I would not like the surprise. I consider it an issue of courtesy.

You have just nailed it. Everyone appreciates it when you come across whoever makes your life easier, whether they are legally required to do so, or not.

While it may be your right not to notify on a traffic stop, just know that we (LEO's) do not like surprises. If you reach for your paperwork and I see a firearm you didn't tell me about don't get upset when I put my weapon in your ear then prone you out on the pavement. Do us both a favor and let us know about it, as long as you are legally carrying don't make a minor traffic stop into something a lot worse.

I would never want to allow for a situation where the officer would discover I'm carrying by surprise, of course, but if I'm carrying IWB and hand my documentation over when they arrive at the window that's not going to happen. Now if they want me to get out of the car, I'll let them know.

The one time I did inform (required by law in that state) the officer at first refused to give me my ammo back and said he was afraid I'd reload and shoot him before he could leave...this in a situation where I'd called them as the victim of a crime. A couple times during the encounter he was so jittery I was afraid he was going to draw on me. It was a very stressful experience.

In other threads like this people have shared experiences where a well-intentioned FYI to an officer turned into staring down the barrel of a service pistol...one LEO said if someone was kind enough to inform him he'd "tell them not to do anything stupid or he'd shoot them in the f$%king face". How professional, really encourages voluntary cooperation.

I'm glad people here have had good experiences and the LEO who have chimed in seem reasonable. But in LEO like any other profession, there are good apples and bad ones. I have nothing to gain by informing in a situation where the LEO would not discover the firearm, but significant risk if they are the bad type. I'll pay the extra ticket cost, if that's all it will save me.

I obey laws so I've only been pulled over a couple times...last time I was carrying IWB with my wife and two kids in the car. I had no legal obligation to inform, and nothing to gain if some jumpy officer was going to point a weapon at my family. I did not inform, I was polite and cooperative and had my documents ready when they got to my car, got a warning, and went on my way.

documents ready

For me that would mean digging in the glove box across the bench seat of the truck. I would think that would be an excellent way to make an officer jumpy. I kill the engine, turn on interior lights, keep my hands where they are, and awaite my instructions.

These guys deal with enough scum and bs. I figure it is good to make their lives easier and let em know from the start Im a good guy. I dont do drugs, dont drive if ive had too many, and generally do nothing illegal so i have zero to hide. I just dont see a point in holding back.

For the most part everyone seems very courtesy. I said earlier that a good attitude will carry you so much farther I'n most cases. Most seem like the perfect person I'n a traffic stop. Very nice, don't move quickly and preferably hands I'n plain view, i like people to tell me if carrying up front(though I'n Texas you don't have to unless asked) and try and be polite and that's what i try to give I'n return. Although I know every once I'n a while you get a bad apple to pull you over and show no courtesy but for most part we (Leo) are just doing our jobs and yes occasionally will have to deal with butts. Everyone does have bad days but if a person gets stopped and comes across an a$$ alot of times it doesn't work out in the end I'n their favor. And yes i don't like surprises either

Farmboy: I'n Texas you don't have to unless asked) and try and be polite and that's what i try to give I'n return. Although I know every once I'n a while you get a bad apple to pull you over and show no courtesy but for most part we (Leo) are just doing our jobs and yes occasionally will have to deal with butts. Everyone does have bad days but if a person gets stopped and comes across an a$$ alot of times it doesn't work out in the end I'n their favor. And yes i don't like surprises either

Not disputing what it used to be but my information in my CWP class was that you must inform any LEO if stopped and present both your CWP and
driver's license. Like anything else it might have changed since then, but
I don't believe it has.:)

The only thing you can truly control

is your own attitude.
As others have noted being calm and respectful is always a good idea. That said as one of our LEO 's mentioned rookies are still learning. Had a hunting buddy and friends here in NJ go through a local DWI check some years back on their way to NY for rifle season. Don't recall all the details but one stated they were going hunting and had guns in the car. They ended up being detained for several hours while everyone and every gun was checked out. One senior officer who was not on scene originally did apologize to them and explain this only happened because they were rookies.
I've since been stopped for speeding several times while going hunting (always seem to be in a rush to squeeze in more time:o I don't announce I have a gun in the car (It's always been upstate where guns and hunting are more mainstream) but I am dressed for hunting and I'm sure they know.
I don't carry a handgun but if I did, common sense tells me the last thing i would want to do is startle an officer with a gun or the announcement of one.
Good thread, I'll have to pass on the father who does have a carry license.

TexasJustice7 said:
I might be driving in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Lousiana. Anyone know regarding those 3 states which have reciprical agreements with Texas as to whether those 3 states require presenting the permit and the license to the law officer?
The Arkansas statute reads as follows:
(a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter may carry a concealed handgun.
(b) The licensee shall:
(1) Carry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and
(2) Display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
Ark. Code Ann. § 5-73-315 (West)

The way I read this, if you're carrying, you have to present both ID and your CCL to any LEO on demand. As a practical matter, however, many officers believe that if you have a CCL, you need to let that fact be known to the LEO know upon contact.

My personal opinion: I'd probably go ahead and mention it whether you're carrying or not. I'm not sure which states put CHCL information in NCIC, but Arkansas does. If I run an Arkansas driver's license through ACIC/NCIC, it will tell me if that person has their CHCL. That being the case, I know that if I'm stopped, the officer's going to find out about my CHCL, regardless of whether I inform him or her.

Another personal opinion: I think how you notify is every bit as important as whether you notify. There's a world of difference between:
a) saying, "Good evening, officer. Here's my ID and my CHCL. There's a pistol on my right hip. How would you like for me to proceed?" and
b) screaming, "I HAVE A GUN!"

I would never want to allow for a situation where the officer would discover I'm carrying by surprise, of course, but if I'm carrying IWB and hand my documentation over when they arrive at the window that's not going to happen. Now if they want me to get out of the car, I'll let them know.

The one time I did inform (required by law in that state) the officer at first refused to give me my ammo back and said he was afraid I'd reload and shoot him before he could leave...this in a situation where I'd called them as the victim of a crime. A couple times during the encounter he was so jittery I was afraid he was going to draw on me. It was a very stressful experience.

In other threads like this people have shared experiences where a well-intentioned FYI to an officer turned into staring down the barrel of a service pistol...one LEO said if someone was kind enough to inform him he'd "tell them not to do anything stupid or he'd shoot them in the f$%king face". How professional, really encourages voluntary cooperation.

I'm glad people here have had good experiences and the LEO who have chimed in seem reasonable. But in LEO like any other profession, there are good apples and bad ones. I have nothing to gain by informing in a situation where the LEO would not discover the firearm, but significant risk if they are the bad type. I'll pay the extra ticket cost, if that's all it will save me.

I obey laws so I've only been pulled over a couple times...last time I was carrying IWB with my wife and two kids in the car. I had no legal obligation to inform, and nothing to gain if some jumpy officer was going to point a weapon at my family. I did not inform, I was polite and cooperative and had my documents ready when they got to my car, got a warning, and went on my way.

Wow! What I would have done is ask for a supervisor to visit the scene and followed through with a statement or whatever the supervisor said do. I stopped a fellow about 2 am for speeding who was all jumpy and nervous and when I asked if he had any guns, knives etc he got freaky. Turns out he had a loaded .45 under the front seat. After checking to make sure gun was not stolen and hearing why he had it there (he wasn't carrying to go armed he was returning from his farm where they had been shooting) I unloaded it put rounds in the bed of his truck, uncuffed him and sent him on the way with a speeding ticket- Oh yeah, told him if he wanted to ride around with a loaded gun to either get a job in LE or get a carry permit. Not everyone with a gun is a bad person, lot more good folks out there than bad we just hear about the bad all the time.

I really dont see its any of their business anyway, as the issue isnt the gun, but my driving
if i was an officer ,a gun in a car seems like i would want it to be my business. not every one is a law abiding citizen.

don't get upset when I put my weapon in your ear then prone you out on the pavement

Is that behavior within the scope of a Terry stop?

This is reminiscent of a time when the police considered possession of a handgun by even honest citizens to evidence of criminal intent, whether there was a law against it or not.

Last edited:
"For me that would mean digging in the glove box across the bench seat of the truck. I would think that would be an excellent way to make an officer jumpy. I kill the engine, turn on interior lights, keep my hands where they are, and awaite my instructions.

These guys deal with enough scum and bs. I figure it is good to make their lives easier and let em know from the start Im a good guy. I dont do drugs, dont drive if ive had too many, and generally do nothing illegal so i have zero to hide. I just dont see a point in holding back."

1), I'd rather dig in the glovebox and have my hands stationary and visible when they arrive, rather than have to dig when they're at the window.

2) Just because you don't have something to hide does not mean you will be treated that way. I did not have anything to hide and had to spend some very stressful minutes anyways. Some have ended up having a gun pointed at them, been cuffed, had their car searched, or been detained all for disclosing a legally carried gun when they have nothing to hide.

I have no ill intent for any officer. If I don't tell them about a gun -- legal in my state -- I have nothing to gain except headaches by informing.

What can it hurt?

It's likely always best to disclose the permit first, and then the weapon. Most LE personnel will tell you that; Whether or not your State has a disclosure law. Being right won't keep you from being shot. Being forthcoming will.

It's likely always best to disclose the permit first, and then the weapon. Most LE personnel will tell you that; Whether or not your State has a disclosure law.

You mean those guys who are sworn to uphold the law? I'm sorry, but I see those guys as my peers (even my employees in an indirect sense). I respect them and will support them doing their job, but do not fear them or feel compelled to offer them information about myself that they do not need to know or have a right to know under the law.

I've done my best to carefully orchestrate my traffic stop procedure, though thankfully, I have not had an opportunity to put it into practice as of yet. I'm not required to notify here in CO, but I figure that anything I can do to make a traffic stop less stressful likely won't hurt. However, if I'm stopped on the street and ID is demanded, that's a different story entirely...but I digress. ;)

Anyway, both my DL and my CCW are in a thin leather bi-fold that I carry in my back pocket. When I get in the car, I drop it in the center console cup holder, where it's plainly visible. My other vehicle docs are in a plastic envelope tucked under the passenger side visor. When stopped, and after confirming that the person walking up behind me is a legitimate LEO, my plan is to wait with both hands visible at the top of the steering wheel, interior light on at night, with the driver window down. When asked to produce my information, I'll verbally inform the officer where each item is before slowly reaching for and handing them over. Neither place should look like I'm reach for anything concealed and there's no digging around involved. Upon seeing the CCW, if the officer wants to know where the handgun is, I'll tell him.

. Is that behavior within the scope of a Terry stop?

No but it is when I see a weapon that I don't know about on a traffic stop.

Seems reasonable to me. I wish everybody CCWed, let's just be adult about it.

I think some folks are seeking some type of confrontation.

My personal opinion is the cops are there to do a job. There are some bad apples everywhere, but i think if we are polite and dont do anything stupid

The VAST majority of LEOs are not going to create havoc for a CCWer.

If I were an LEO walking up on a car at night, and I get a jerk with an attitude I would probably be more blunt with that person, especially if he is armed and acting irratically.

We shouldnt treat an LEO as a king,........ Just with the level of respect we would all want.

The last time i was pulled over at night, I showed my DL and my CCL and
Kept my hands visible on the wheel.

He was very polite, and gave me a warning.....

Not a question asked about my weapon

moose_nukelz wrote:
While it may be your right not to notify on a traffic stop, just know that we (LEO's) do not like surprises. If you reach for your paperwork and I see a firearm you didn't tell me about don't get upset when I put my weapon in your ear then prone you out on the pavement.

And when you finally find out that I am legally carrying, don't be surprised when you and your department wind up facing a lawsuit.

For what? If you reach for paperwork and the cop sees a gun near where you are reaching that he does not know about, you are certainly going to be stopped from further action until the situation is clarified. The lawsuit would be laughed out of court.

Back