Pulled over while carrying

Been carring for almost two years now. I never really thought about it much. After reading here I most definatley will be handing both permits to the officers. We are not obligated to do so. I just don't see the harm. I know if if I were an officer I would rather know if someone is carring.
Then again I live in Wyoming where you do not have to have a permit in the state to carry. If I were an officer here, I would asume EVERYONE is packing.

Also if i stop a CCW holder i assume they're legit as far as not a felon and all. And i tend to let them off with more verbal warnings. Just a thought. Also i don't like to make my way to vehicle and passenger is bent over digging I'n glove box (i have no idea what you're looking for). Better bet my hand is on my sidearm! Just wait until officer asks for info first. And last i hear people saying when you (Leo) or if he asks for CCW I'll show them because they can run me and find out I'm a CCW holder. Again, if i run you! I run only about 1 out of 5 people only and if i don't run you and find out and you don't give me your CCW license and i happen to see it I'n view or i get you out of vehicle and see it then we have a surprise. Again, i give alot more warnings to CCW holders. It's your call handle your business however you choose to.

wyohusker: Been carrying for almost two years now. I never really thought about it much. After reading here I most definitely will be handing both permits to the officers. We are not obligated to do so. I just don't see the harm. I know if if I were an officer I would rather know if someone is carrying. Then again I live in Wyoming where you do not have to have a permit in the state to carry. If I were an officer here, I would assume EVERYONE is packing.

^^^ X2,
I would too, and IMO, saying hey, you assumed right but it's cool, I got a permit/license just gives Mr leo doing my job and wanna go home a little peace of mind and not so much so as just stroking their ego.
honest open communication, in a slightly tense situation.

Pulled over twice

Once by local Raleigh PD, the other time by NC State Police. PD pullover was a non-event, as in "Thank you sir, just leave the gun in the glove box."

State Police wasn't so. Pulled over for expired registration, produced permit and license, informed the officer and was ordered to exit the vehicle, place my hands on the hood of the car while one trooper retrieved my handgun. The other trooper stood slightly behind me and off to the right with his hand on his gun until the other trooper secured my revolver from the glove box. When I got my gun back, it was covered with some oily black powder and needed to be cleaned. This all a block from my house.

Kirk, I've seen similar situations.

The problem is police officers are just people.

And while most people (and police officers) are reasonable, some are complete tools that I'd cross the street to avoid.

Also i don't like to make my way to vehicle and passenger is bent over digging I'n glove box (i have no idea what you're looking for). Better bet my hand is on my sidearm! Just wait until officer asks for info first.

Yeah, there have been several responses in the thread about having paperwork out before the cop gets there. I've never heard anyone tout this as a good practice.

I always keep my registration and insurance card in a pocket on the visor. I keep my hands in plain sight until the officer asks for paperwork, then I get it for him.

I keep my hands in plain sight until the officer asks for paperwork, then I get it for him.
What do you think hes going to ask you for, one of your beers? :)

Its not that hard to have your paperwork handy. You know that they are going to ask for it anyway. If its in your wallet, its fast, one stop shopping.

And cops and traffic stops aside, to me, keeping your paperwork in the car itself is right up there with keeping your house coordinates in your GPS as "home". Not a real smart idea.

I think he means that, in the event of a break-in, any documents that have personal data, or that could be easily used to forge a false title or registration, could bite you.

Or leaving house keys in the car, or even the garage remote (it's not hard to open those, and find out the code; now we have an address, plus the code for the garage door opener, or a spare key.)

He has a point; this is why keeping the title in the car is a monumentally bad idea. For that matter, so is keeping spare house keys.

However, I am willing to run the risk with title and registration.

Yeah, I can see the point about the GPS if I were one to leave house keys in my auto, but I keep my keys in my pocket without any ID on them. And, I only have insurance cards and registration cards in the vehicles, so I do not really see how these things can be of much use to anyone.

Most people I know have their house keys on the same ring with their car keys, which is a bad idea.

I know none of us has "ever" left the car running and ran into the Quick Mart to get something, or something similar.

Add to that the garage door opener, the gps and/or all your paperwork in the glove box), and the mistakes start to add up.

Its bad enough they might get your car, but why give them the address to your house, and a means to get in? Its not like youre going to be there when they get there.

Garage door security has drastically improved to include rolling code technology. "Code grabbing" has been a thing of the past for quite a while. A stolen remote can be disabled by using the "relearn" feature on virtually all garage door openers manufactured since 2003.

Skadoosh, you assume people have post-2003 door openers. Last ones I had were probably original issue withe the late 1980s construction house, and had 5 or 6 sliding pins that were each set forward or back.

Not exactly a cryptographic challenge... Not with the older stuff (that is still in some use.)

Edit: my truck has remote starting, for warming up on cold days or cooling on hot ones. But, the system kills the engine if somebody attempts to put the transmission in gear, and the remote start sequence is initiated by first pressing the door lock key.

Otherwise, I do not leave a running vehicle unattended, either.

papers ready

I still think doing anything during a stop other than what is asked is foolish. An officer is aware that most people keep documents in the glove box. I gotta believe that moving prematurley is a bad idea.

Have been pulled over 3 times since I started carrying. Twice for speeding, once for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Only one officer acknowledged that I had a firearm on me. He first asked what the LTC was for. Then asked if I had my firearm on me and where. Once informed he just told me to leave it where it is. Thankfully I came out of all three instances with only a warning. Living in Mass where most people don't/cant carry I was expecting to be hassled but apparently that was not the case.

I personally think there is no need to inform the officer without them asking. It pops up as a red flag when they run their plates, I am sure they just assume I have a firearm on me whether I do or not.

What do you think hes going to ask you for, one of your beers?

Funny. I know exactly what he's going to ask for. But I'm not reaching for anything until I'm told. From what the cop sees, I could be shuffling around getting my papers out of the glovebox, or out of my wallet. Or I could be stashing drugs or a gun.

Its not that hard to have your paperwork handy. You know that they are going to ask for it anyway. If its in your wallet, its fast, one stop shopping.

That's an idea for someone who only has one vehicle. I'm not keeping the registration for my four vehicles, a company vehicle, a rental truck and a rental car in my wallet. Along with 3+ different insurance policies.

Besides I'm not reaching for anything until the cop asks me to do it, and even then I'm going to do it very slowly, keep my hands where he can see them, and let him know if I'm doing anything he might not expect.
Not gonna end up like Amadou Diallo.

I don't like nervous cops and I don't like guns pointed at me. Been there, done that- played Simon Says with two Okeechobee cops with guns pointed at me, both giving me conflicting commands at a traffic stop.

Why is it such a big deal to sit still until the cop is watching and is ready for you to do it? Are you in a hurry? Do you have someplace to go?

Back