Pulled over while carrying

However, if I don't have the gun in my glove box, I believe I'd mention it to him

Skans, in case this is directed at me, the gun is essentially in my glovebox (the enclosed center console), enclosed/encased as required by law. I don't inform because I'm not required to and as Scout mentioned, some officers get a little weird about it. If he/she asks if I have a gun around, I won't lie, but I don't think officers' problems are with those who carry legally anyway.

If your in a state like MO where you can keep a loaded gun in your car with no CCW, a little careful wording goes a long ways. Inform them that you have a "firearm" in the car, not "gun" or "gat" and "weapon" is a little to vague.

I do everything I can to not get popped by some Springfield rookie cop.

I always keep my DL and Permit in my breast pocket, I've been pulled over once (broken tail light), Informed the officer I was carrying and gave him both. He just asked where it was and not to move my hands from the wheel. We ended up talking guns for about 15 minutes, no ticket, just a verbal warning.

As a full-time LEO, I appreciate my fellow citizens exercising their rights. I have yet to pull over such a person who was anything but polite and courteous. Knowing as I do that many LEOs have had their lives saved by CCW folks, I'm all for it. The only way I'll give them a hard time is if they have a CCW license, but yet are NOT carrying.;)

In Texas we are required to present both the driver's license and the concealed weapons license. I might be driving in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Lousiana. Anyone know regarding those 3 states which have reciprical agreements with Texas as to whether those 3 states require presenting
the permit and the license to the law officer?

Oklahoma is a must inform state

No law to disclose in MN either unless asked. I would think the officer would appreciate being told though and if it makes the officer happy, then it makes me happy. ;-) I also know that the officers I've spoke with are quite supportive of the permit to carry. One guy said they have never had an issue with a person with a carry permit (regarding the gun of course). I would think it might just cut you a little break (between the politeness and the responsibility and training that comes with the permit it might slip you onto the good side of the fence :) ). Thanks for sharing.

Has it been considered that a duty to inform could unconstitutional under the Fourth Amendment? Stopping a motorist doesn't give the cops the right to go on a fishing expedition. On the other hand, maybe it falls withing the scope of the Terry search and you're being let off light on the basis of your verbal statemet in lieu of a frisk. Whatever the case, seems like not informing is protected by the Fourth, and the Terry search is within the right of the police. And of course, one of the dangers here lies in informing a police impersonator.

4th ammendment

My point of offering up the information is to show them that there is nothing for me to hide. If i should be asked to step out of the vehicle i dont want a pat down to reveal my gun.

Based on the Canton OH situation, I have pondered this question at length.

I have asked several officers what their training is. To my suprise AZ does not appear to have a standard. One AZ State Trooper told me that Officers have not been trained nor is there a published standard for dealing with concealed carry. One Deputy I spoke with also confirmed this lack of procedures.

My personal procedure is to hand my CCW and DL to the Officer. I also when stopped at night Turn on the interior lights, roll my window down and place both hands on the wheel of my truck. Any moves I make are slow and deliberate. "Slow as lasses in winter".

Since my registration and proof of insurance is in my center console along with a pistol, I inform the Officer and follow his instructions to the letter. I will probably place my registration and proof of insurance in the side pocket.

When in Pinal County, I do not stop for a deputy unless I am in a well lighted location with other people present. I also request a DPS Officer respond. The reason for this is another story.

My home state is a not-required-to-inform state but my state of birth (where there is reciprocity) is a must-inform state. I had one experience where I needed to call police in my state of birth and as the law requires I informed them I was CCW as soon as they arrived to deal with the situation (in which I was a victim). First officer was professional, second was a nervous SOB. I ended up not only having my weapon taken away (understandable) but being subjected to a full-body frisk afterwards. Idiot had no clue on reciprocity. Then he tried to refuse to give me my ammo back, saying that I may reload my gun and shoot him before he could drive away. Really, that was what he said, after I called THEM as the victim of a crime. During most of the encounter he had his hand on his weapon.

After that experience, I would never inform unless I had to..either by law or because there was a realistic chance the office would find out I was carrying...like having to get out of the car during a stop.

After my experience with a couple LEOs on an identical thread to this on another forum, my concerns and beliefs have only been reinforced.

After my experience with a couple LEOs on an identical thread to this on another forum, my concerns and beliefs have only been reinforced.

My experience also over on DC, really makes me question why they became police officers and also makes me very leery of them.

I am from Florida and I have been pulled over several times for speeding and I had a weapon in the car each time.

The first instance was before I was before I was even 21 and was made by city of the city Miami Beach (day time). I was legally carrying my gun in the glove box in a snapped holster. As soon as I was pulled over, I put down the windows and placed both hands on the window. I instructed my buddy who was riding with me to do the same. I told the officers that I was legally carrying a firearm and that it was in the glove box. I also have my license and regstration in there so it would be a pretty bd idea to go fishing for them with a gun in there. The officers made us get out of the car, patted us down (after telling them we had a gun in the car), and proceeded to remove the guns. They wrote me a ticket and handed me back the guns unloaded. This was pretty much as expected except for the pat down. City of Miami Beach cops are known for being jerks though.

I was pulled over by the Highway Patrol on the FL Turnpike going 102 mph in a 70 mph. It was really late at night and there were no cars on the road. Since it was at night, I turned on the interior light first. I then put down the windows and put my hands out of the window. I had another friend with me and instructed him to do the same. When he arrived at my window, I told him I had a loaded weapon in the car and a concealed weapons permit. He asked me where the gun was and I told him it was in the glove compartment. He asked to remove the gun, but he allowed us to stay in the car. He asked if I knew why I was pulled over and I gave him a straight answer. I told him I knew I was speeding, but I wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going. I had quite a ways to go still and we had the music up (which I turned off as soon as we were pulled over). He came back with a ticket for an obstructed tag (non-moving violation that cost around $50) and told me to drive safe. 32 mph over would have been a $300+ ticket and could have been written up as reckless endangerment. He thanked me for telling him I had a gun on the car and told me to drive safely after he handed me back the gun.

Although Florida does not require me to notify a police officer that I am carrying a weapon, I will continue to do so. First of all, it will greatly reduce the chance of me getting shot if he sees the gun and over-reacts. Secondly, it might get me off with a lesser fine.

Last week I was pulled over at night for no tag light. I informed the officer that I was carrying--Texas CHL. He issued a warning ticket and then we discussed guns for 15 minutes. This was the 3rd time being pulled over in Texas with a CCH--handgun on me. No problems at all. Of course, I did not give the cop any reasons to do otherwise.

Texas has allowed concealed carry since 1996, and the holders of CCH's as a group have had an outstanding record as nonviolators of Texas criminal law.
Here, if you screw up, you lose it.

Skans, in case this is directed at me, the gun is essentially in my glovebox (the enclosed center console), enclosed/encased as required by law. I don't inform because I'm not required to and as Scout mentioned, some officers get a little weird about it. If he/she asks if I have a gun around, I won't lie, but I don't think officers' problems are with those who carry legally anyway.

I wasn't very clear clear, but what I meant by the gun not being in the glove box is that the gun is on my person or right next to me in easy reach. In that case, I would promptly advise the officer that I am armed and licensed. If its locked in my glove box, I might not mention anything.

However, I am inclined to start making it a habit to advice the police that I'm licensed and armed if I'm ever stopped. My reason for this is that I drive quite a bit in Florida, Georgia, N. Carolina, S. Carolina and Tennessee. When it's 12:00 am I might not remember which state goes with what laws.....

Oh, and I make it a point to never drive my vehicle north of the Mason-Dixon line - that's a different world up there!:D

I had my second encounter with LE while carrying a couple weeks ago. I wasn't pulled over, though. A girl apparently hydroplaned, lost control of her car, and spun into the auto hauler trailer on which we were towing my wife's car.

Had a deputy sheriff respond first. Since there were no injuries, we had to wait a while, in the rain, for the TN state trooper.

The collision had sheared my hitch at the weld, so stopping the rig, connected only by chains, on wet road took a while. Got stopped, and ran back on the shoulder to check on the other driver while my wife called 911.

Girl was ok, though apologetic and crying. My wife, the dogs and I were ok. Some Samaritans had stopped, so I left the girl with them and walked back, in the pouring rain, to my truck.

I had locked my gun in the truck vault when the deputy arrived at the girl's car - or more accurately, the point at which her car left the interstate. (In a ditch; looked totaled.)

Since we were a quarter mile from my gun, I didn't bring it up.

Deputy, as he was leaving, said I should wait at my truck for the trooper.

When the trooper arrived, I told him that I had a permit, and the gun was in the truck. He said "Don't worry about that, let's look for damage and you can tell me what happened."

IE a non-event.

Now in general, I keep my wallet accessible and away from my gun while driving. I keep registration and insurance in the glove box, and the gun on my person or in the console vault. I proactively will not display a weapon by going for wallet or paperwork.

But I still notify. I really do not want to surprise the officer. In his place, I would not like the surprise. I consider it an issue of courtesy.

Pulled over on a freeway in Arkansas a few months ago, immediately informed him I had a Texas CHL and a loaded firearm in the car. He asked me where it was, told him in the door pocket, he said leave it there, got me out of the car, asked me if I had any other weapons, told him a 3-inch folder clipped to weakside pocket, he said he didn't care about knives, patted me down and gave me a warning for right front wheel over the curb white line (!!) .. was pulled over in my own town a few weeks ago for not having a front plate, again informed, told him it was in the glovebox, gave me a warning to replace the plate, which I did the next day. Both guys were very friendly (Arkie asked what I was carrying and we chatted about Kahrs for a bit) ...

pulled over while hunting

I can immagine my buddies and i. "sir there are four long guns in here four handguns and about seven million knives" lol

Back