Placement of defensive weapons in your home

You didn't hurt my feelings whatsoever HGKosteck . And in your neck of the woods, with an overstretched Sheriff's Dept., I would be shocked if you didn't carry. I was simply stating why I don't CCW. And I don't consider myself negligent. I would fight to the death for myself, family anf friends. Again, my lifestyle is not suited for it right now.

My lady and I both love baseball and good food, where they happen to sell alcohol; two places we can't carry. I doubt she'll change her lifestyle in those respects, but maybe I can convince her. If so, I have no problem carrying (just need to find a holster for a S&W 686 4" and a Colt Gov't to handle NC summers). In the meantime, I've made adjustments for defense. Aikido, Kendo, an ASP, and a pair of pocket knives. I think that's far from negligent. A firearm, isn't the end all, be all form of defense for me, and I own quite a few. When it's my time to go it's my time to go. Simple as that.

I promote people to carry them, I want them to carry them. However, it's just not right for me at this time.

No hard feelings HGKosteck. Stay safe...

Last edited:
Keep a handgun on your hip.

Keep it hot.

At night, a longarm loaded and hot by the bedside.

Easy.

+1. I only have a couple of safes, and I don't want to leave loaded guns around the house where someone could find and get them if they broke in while no one was home. I keep one loaded by the bed and I carry one concealed around the house.
That way, I also get used to always having one on me.

And I don't agree with the comment about moving if one has to carry at home. The biggest danger there to me is being in condition one while at home. If a daytime home invasion occurred, being in condition 1 and not having a weapon right there to defend myself would likely cost me my life. Granted, it's very unlikely it would ever happen. But I think when you're at home and in that condition is when it is most likely to happen.

When I was younger, I watched a movie called "the watcher". This movie explained in great detail about how the killer would hide in a house all night because people are alert at night... but during the morning, they felt safe wandering around their house with their guard down. I guess this movie scarred me for life. I am now prepared for pretty much anything.

My house: Each room downstairs has at least one knife hidden in each room, the upstairs holds 2-3 per room (hidden). I have one with a sheath screwed into the wall next to my bed, on rubber pads as to not make noise when I draw it. There is a folding (quick open) knife on my night stand, and the bulk of my knife collection is in a 4-drawer cabinet about 5 feet away from my bed. All of my firearms are stored in a cabinet downstairs, and any of them which have removable clips, the clips are loaded and sitting on the shelf just above the firearms. I also have my neighbor and best friend, Josh, on speed dial. He can see 3 sides of my house without even walking outside, and is well armed. He also has a key to the house. I am picking up a 9MM handgun next wednesday, and when I do, it will be loaded and sitting on my nightstand in place of my folder.

My bedroom is a smaller room in the shape of an L, and there is no overhead lighting over my bed, and the light switch by the door is connected to a small desk lamp near the door. I also have a remote controller for the switch. When it is flicked on, my bed is not illuminated to the point that you can see it.

Long Island Home Invasions

Long Island has had rampant home invasions over the past year. They have been nightime break ins while people are sleeping, forced front door entry, police imposters at the front door, back door entries, broken window entiries, on and on. They have taken place in good and bad areas. People have been caught yet the crimes go on. Occupants are often tied up and on many occasions roughed up. At least one woman I know of was molested. Just this pas Sunday an appartment full of people for a party in a nice area was invaded by a group of criminals who had everyone lay on the floor while they cleaned them and the place out.

Then there were the two invasions in RIchmond VA two weeks ago. In one a family of fours (including two girls under 10) were tied to chairs and had their throats cut, then left there with the house set on fire (it didn't take so the bodies were found intact). THe same crew killed another family of three less than a week later, again tied in chairs but the method of killing was not reported.

For the nightime break in while sleeping I am not nearly as worried. The first floor is patrolled by Colt, our 104 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback. He takes his home security role very seriously and only barks when something is there. The neighborhood trouble making teens know him by sight and sound and give him a wide berth. The family sleeps upstairs. The top draw of the dresser has my condition 1 1911 and spare mag with a high power flashlight. On the wife's side of the bed, on the top shelf of the closet and coverred by 20 pounds comforters is a Remington 870 18 1/2" 12 gage. It is a one second process to pull it out from under them, although there will be plenty of cleaning up afterwards. It is loaded but does not have one in the chamber. We have a four year old at present and the shottys location and condition (pump release must be pressed to actuate as well), combined with her limitiations make it safe at present. This will be a continuous re-evaluation process combined with education as she grows. No matter what though the family sleeping break in does not worry me as the dog will give us plenty of warning. The cell phones are upstairs and the staircase is easy to cover.

My real fear is the waking hours break. We have had many of these on Long Island. I am either wearing the 1911 IWB the whole time I am home and awake or will use a SmartCarry with a small concealable 9mm and spare mag. Our house is one that the home invaders would NOT leave with out a scratch as has happenned on 40 + occasions.

You can get hit on the head with a meteor, do you wear a tin pot all the time..

No but I do keep my tinfoil helemt on at night to prevent the secret mind control rays from the GPS sattelites from getting to my brain!

Seriously though. My house will probably never have a fire but I have a fire extinguisher. I do not expect to die at a young age but I have insurance for my family incase I do.

I have never heard of a person hit by a meteor but I know of plenty who have been killed by violent criminals, sometimes completely randomly.

Prefer not to keep loaded guns around, so:

Front hall closet (next to front door): 9mm carbine, with magazine seperate
Family room (rear of house): SKS-M, loaded 30 rd mag nearby
Bedroom: upstairs, Yugo SKS 3 stripper clips handy (and a bayonet to boot)

CCTV around the house, at all approaches/directions(although I don't use it much)

Early warning system--5 German shepherds

just do what i do:
keep a whiny liberal annoying roommate in the first room next to the front door. the intruder(s) will have more than enough time to occupy themselves with him while i don my armor and speedload ten extra AR mags. i can also set up my tripwire defenses and shaped charges as the intruder(s) approach my end of the home.

did i ever mention how tactical i am?

I carry my XD9 everywhere I can. When I get off duty, it comes on duty and does not leave my side until I go to bed. Then, it sits hidden under my bed within arms reach if needed. My wife now carrys her Kahr with us when we go out and it also sits on her side of the bed within easy reach if needed. There's no point in having a handgun where it's out of reach if needed because you never know when you might need it.

When I go to work, I check my bunker gear, helmet, air pack, and my regualtor/face mask every morning. In my bunker pants I carry 2 flashlights, 5 door chocks, 30-40 cement nails, a collapsable rescue tool, 25 ft of 9000 lb webbing, 25 ft of dynamic quick rope, 2 pairs of wire cutters, a rescue hook/seatbelt cutter, and 2 large carabineers. On my bunker coat I have another flashlight, my portable radio, an extra rescue hook, and my extrication gloves. When I go into a structure fire, depending on where and what I am tasked with, I'll be heading in with ANOTHER box light slung over my shoulder and typically a set of irons (axe and halligan) or the hoseline. Hopefully the day never comes where I get into a situation where I may have to use half this stuff, but I'm sure as hell glad I carry it with me every time! And that stuff gets damn heavy once you add in the free weight of just the bunker gear, helmet, and air pack (70-75 pounds in full gear with pack). I carry all this damn stuff not because I need it but because I might need it. If I ever get stuck in a situation where my life depends on those few small tools I brought into that building with me, I'll be damn happy they weren't sitting out on my engine or in my locker!!

If you have the means, the ability, and the training to use these possible life saving tools, it makes no sense to leave them somewhere where they will do you absolutely no good when your ass gets stuck "in the fire". There's a saying that instructors drill into the heads of all students who get into their first fire training class and that saying is "NEVER GET OFF YOUR TRUCK WITHOUT A TOOL!". Simply stated, never get caught without a tool. It might just save your life.

You know...I just remembered I had a similar conversation with a friend last week. He said that someone told him that if you're going to keep a handgun by the bed to NEVER keep it without one in the chamber. "Why?" I asked....
Well, apparently if you need it you won't have time to chamber a round...either that or you'll get tripped up worrying about whether or not you already have a round chambered and lose valuable reaction time....or because you could trip over yourself because you're not focused on the threat but instead of.... it went on and on.

Ok, so what a bunch of crap, that's what I say. If you're worried about blowing your hand off or having one of your kids grab it or whatever, keep the freaking thing in condition 3. I do. You know what!?! If you train yourself appropriately, then it's second nature to just rack the slide as you roll out of bed. If you get tripped up having to walk and chamber a round, then I would question whether or not you should be defending your home with a handgun anyways :)

Ok... had to get that out there

It's never a good idea to place a gun where the trigger finger can engage without the brain being in gear. Some folks are wide awake in an instant, but it takes me a few moments to shake the cobwebs loose. My solution is what I call the two-step rule. I place the weapon, cocked and locked, in a place that requires two, thought-out but quick movements to access the gun. First, I must open the nightstand drawer. Second, it must be removed from a snapped holster. I can do both in a heartbeat, but I can't do it accidentally while half-asleep. By the way, no kids in the house.

Pickpocket, your friend has a valid point.... and so do you. Train and handle/carry your chosen piece in the condition you are most comfortable with. I personally believe in carrying condition 1, always. Round chambered and safety on (if equipped). Both of the handguns in my house currently have no manual safety so I don't have to bother with the safety part but they are always in condition 1.

My wife was a condition 3 person before I challenged her to a race. We verified my XD as safe, locked away the real ammo, loaded a magazine with snap caps, chose a safe area for dry fire that was 90 degrees off my course, and had a little race. First, she was to draw, slingshot, and fire into the safe zone with me running at her from 20 feet. Then, after giving her the advantage multiple times from that position, we changed it to draw and fire from the same distance with the gun in condition 1. I proved the point that condition 1 is the faster and easier way to engage if needed. Tueller drill no doubt but a very effective way to show the difference between condition 1 and 3.

How about a revolver?

Personally, I keep a .357 mag revolver by my bed. Pull the trigger, it goes "boom!" No slide to worry about racking, or safety to flip off. True, I'm limited by six shots, but anymore than that and I'm probably dead. That's just my choice and what I'm most comfortable with. I would prefer my Colt .45 not have to sit in an evident room because of some scumbag. :)

There should be a poll....

What percentage of anyone here has ever had anyone break into their homes while they're home?

I've known four people in my life that have had they're homes broken into. Three of them were at work. One crook - I'm not making this up - Backed a moving truck up to the house and emptied it. The crooks knew nobody was at home.

Most robberies occur between 10 am and 2 pm.

It's all about risk management. If you leave several guns around the house unlocked, you've just armed the guy whose going to be waiting for you when you get home (or who is selling your XD to one of his pals for $100.)

Crooks don't want any trouble - If they like your house, they are going to wait for you to leave. Trust me, they have all the time in the world to learn your routine, it's not like they're missing work.

Could you wind up face to face with a home invader? Yes. It could happen, if that's how you choose to see the world.

A good friend of mine is a social worker who studies violence. Statistically, the one who is going to hurt you will be someone you know (family member, or friend).

It's easier to think it's going to be a crackhead looking for $20.

gddyup;
ya true, but I was speaking strictly of sleeping next to your weapon. Keeping the weapon in condition 3 while you sleep is just different spin on Capt Charlie's two-step rule. It ensures that not only do you have to grab the weapon, but you have to make an effort to chamber a round...the idea being that you won't accidentally blow off your fingers....or worse.
As for your drill with the wife: hell yeah you carry in condition 1. Chances of you having to drill a guy between the eyes as he charges you on the street are exponentially greater than having to do it from your bed as you shake the cobwebs off.

A good friend of mine is a social worker who studies violence. Statistically, the one who is going to hurt you will be someone you know (family member, or friend).

It's funny you should mention that. In the past month, I have had to come to a rather hard-faced conclusion that I have no true friends. It had nothing to do with one of them trying to shoot me or anything like that... but some things happened and I ended up losing someone I thought was my best friend (for 15 Years). It kind of sketches me out because he is the type of person who I would find wandering around in my house at 2AM some random tuesday night. Situations like that always leave you questioning everyone, regardless of how long you have known them. But, in a way, I guess that is a good thing.

"If you train yourself appropriately, then it's second nature to just rack the slide as you roll out of bed. If you get tripped up having to walk and chamber a round, then I would question whether or not you should be defending your home with a handgun anyways "

Right. I questioned keeping one in the chamber when I took the advanced NRA course. So the instructor had me take a Glock with a dummy round, put it in my holster, without the dummy round in the chamber. He stood 25 feet away. He even told me when he was going to run at me, and for me to pull the Glock, and rack it to fire. He was on me before I could rack it. I had it in position to fire, but the chamber was empty.

Always keep one in the chamber.

Sig .45 in a bedroom drawer. Magazines (+P HP) in a different drawer with a Streamlight. Everything else in the safe. 12GA Benelli loaded but not chambered in the front of the safe. Wouldn't go to a rifle, too many neighbors.

That's what i'm comfortable with. But its just me and the cat, in a good neighborhood.

IndianaDean:

Waking hours walking around is one thing...sleeping is completly another.
Try this drill:

Go to sleep. Wake up when your wife (or friend) startles you awake as he approaches your bed. See if your reaction time helps when you have one in the chamber and when you don't.

Point is, it's not the same type of drill that the NRA instructor gave you. It's apples and oranges.

Keep a handgun on your hip.

Keep it hot.

At night, a longarm loaded and hot by the bedside.

Easy.

Bingo. + another 1

I don't see why some of the prior posts suggest that's extreme. It's just a gun, y'all. I wear a multi-tool on my belt, too, though I don't need it very often. But why leave it at home?

Let's not confuse preparation with paranoia. I thought it was a good thing to be a little more prepared... :confused:

Back