Our economy

Unemployment is pretty low but rising. What you have to look at is what percentage of thse jobs have shifted from livable wage industrial and high tech jobs and into near poverty level jobs.
Another measure of economic growth. It is a number, and historically low. Again, you and Hillary can add your own spin to it.

Yes, because only Hillary and he can spin it. You are correct, it is just a number. You used it to imply a positive situation, which is every bit the attempt to spin it that you just accused him of.

Any Economics 101 course will tell you very clearly (with examples) why the unemployment rate as measured in the US is not necessarily a reliable indicator of economic prosperity.

Probably best to take "motor vehicles" off that list... Not exactly a market that the US is dominating.
Which automobile manufacturers sell the highest % of vehicles in the US?
Well, that can actually become a pretty complicated question as more foreign-nameplate cars are made within the US and more US-nameplate cars are actually made outside the US. Going simply by foreign vs. domestic nameplates, I'm pretty sure sales are pretty much even (about half foreign, half domestic).

My advice learn Spanish or Chinese, both would be good.
Ya, because after all, look at what the Spanish-speaking countries have amounted to over the past 200 years. And the Chinese are building an economic boom based on low wages while they pursue negative population growth. Everyone I know is working and buying luxury items like firearms and computers. Remember, we were actually in a recession during the 2000 election, but the media soft pedaled it. Now 5% unemployment is a disaster because the cruel heartless, gleefully-driving-the-economy-down-the-crapper, pollution-loving Bush is in power.

Marko
Up until the mid 80's there were "Usery" laws in many states. The high mortgage rates of the 80's and credit card companies pushed to repeal these laws. I believe we need these back with 15% cap. Traditionally it has been illegal to take advantage of someone who needs credit.

Usury, from the Medieval Latin usuria, "interest" or "excessive interest"

Playboypenguin said:
You admire a company that presents itself as a fair and balanced national news organization that wants to deliberately lie to it's viewers and lead them like sheep to the slaughter? :confused:

As I said, in a perverse sort of way, yes. It's not that they simply want to lie to its viewers; it's that they freely admit it in court, confident that most of their supporters will never know (control the medium, control the message) and probably won't care even if they find out (there's a bigger villain, CNN/BBC/NYTimes/etc). The move is so arrogant that it's almost beautiful, like something a really good movie-villain might do.

So, yeah, I don't have to like it, but I have to respect that they're able to get away with it.

sasquatch said:
Playboypenguin said:
And where has this growth been? Has it been in ways to strengthen the middle class or grow the lower class? has it caused the creation of livable wage jobs or is it solely benefited large corporations bottom lines?
It is a measure. It is a number. I guess you and Hillary get to spin it any way you want.

The problem is that something on the scale of an economy can't be reduced to single numbers or measurements without losing a lot of accuracy. The reason that the numbers can be "spun" one way or the other is that they're only a quantification of an infinitely complex story. Is the economy improving? That depends on how you define the economy. Haliburton stock is up a little better than 3.5 times over in the past five years, so that's not bad. On the other hand, requests for help from food banks went up 12% in 2005 alone, which is. The GDP went up 3.4% in 2006, which was very respectable, but the percentage of Americans living in "severe poverty" ($5,080/year for one person to $9,903 for a family of four) was the worst than it had been for over thirty years - to over sixteen million people, roughly the entire populations of Iowa, New Mexico, Washington, Alabama, and Alaska put together - and that's very, very bad. I don't think the 2007 numbers are out yet, but given the credit collapse I'm not sure I'll like them.

So... is the economy doing well? In one sense, yes, yes it is. Is it doing terribly? In another sense, yes, again, yes it is. The numbers can tell both stories because both stories exist to tell. This reduction of an entire nation to "The economy is great!/The economy is terrible!" is misleading, but that's the product of a sound-bite culture for you. Personally, I'd like for us to start thinking in paragraphs again.

To drag in an obligatory firearms reference, it's a little bit like the lots-of-holes vs. flying-ashtrays debate. Sure, everyone would like lots of flying ashtrays, but we haven't quite figured that out yet, unless maybe you believe in the 10mm. You have to find the tradeoff that works best for you, and to do that you can't look at just one number.

The economy is like that. It isn't a single number and it can't be judged by a single measurement; it isn't a point, and I strongly suspect anyone who pretends it is - Democrat or Republican, conservative or liberal - of being either oversimplistic or underinformed. It's a collection of curves and exchanges, and the arguments that really mean something are the ones about how those curves should be shaped. Much like arguments about the Castle Doctrine or the appropriate use of force, there are very few clear-cut answers, only questions about the kind of society we are and the kind we would like to become.

You can still call it "spin" if it makes you more comfortable.

Last edited:
sasquatch said:

JD Power found that 42% of Americans won't even consider an American badge for their next car purchases. That's not "don't think they'll get an American car", but it's not even on the table as an option.

Now, it may could feasibly be that the remaining 58% are all buying American cars, or that there's some minority buying lots of American cars to push the numbers up (rental car companies own whole fleets of them, after all), but it's pretty clear they have an image problem.

I think right now it is Toyota.
Right, other than aircraft, heavy construction machinery, agricultural machinery, motor vehicles, etc.
If you look closely you will find that a great deal of those are simply assembled here and that the actually forging process and parts building has been shipped overseas. Pay attention to those little sheets that come with your tractor and car that tell you where the pats came from.

Sasquatch: Penguin, you just have to quit reading those DNC press releases.
Sasquatch, you and Homefires should return the favor and stop accepting everything that Limbaugh and Al-Foxeera say as gospel truth. It's right wing propaganda meant to disinform you and blind you to the crimes and injustices perpetrated by the Republican party. Stop drinking the Kool Aid, red or blue.

I think that the Democrats are 90% as wrongheaded as the Republicans, but blaming Bill Clinton for current economic events after 6 years of unmitigated recklessness on the part of the Bush administration and Republican controlled congress is just a display of irrational partisan hostility. Have you forgotten that congress was republican controlled during Bill's presidency, and remained that way until 2006? If you're looking for some politicians to blame, there you go.

I personally would like to blame George W. and the Republican congress for the squandering of the national surplus that was in the bank at the end of the Clinton administration and converting it into unprecented national debt. I think they should be personally held responsible for those trillions of wasted dollars pissed away into the sands of Iraq and the pockets of Republican cronies.

If you look closely you will find that a great deal of those are simply assembled here and that the actually forging process and parts building has been shipped overseas. Pay attention to those little sheets that come with your tractor and car that tell you where the pats came from

Sorry, but that just isn't the case. Companies like Deere, Catipiller, Case, Navistar, etc. all produce right here in the USA, starting with raw steel.

Same can be said for many many other manufacturing industries: Heavy trucks, tires, glass, motors, etc.

You need to stop getting all your business news from Keith Oberman and Rosie O'Donnell.

Sorry, but that just isn't the case. Companies like Deere, Catipiller, Case, Navistar, etc. all produce right here in the USA, starting with raw steel.
Same can be said for many many other manufacturing industries: Heavy trucks, tires, glass, motors, etc.
You need to stop getting all your business news from Keith Oberman and Rosie O'Donnell.
Where are you getting the info that even Deere are using all American made parts? I cannot find where they make that claim.

The last mower by them I looked at listed Canada as one of the major parts suppliers and a good 40% were listed as "other."

And what percentage of our national consumption of similar goods do these companies make up?

Probably best to take "motor vehicles" off that list... Not exactly a market that the US is dominating.

Not so.

First, Toyota, Hyundai, Subaru, Nissan, and Daimler all opened new auto plants in the US over the past 2 years.

Second, Ford and GM are having record years in China, Latin America, and Europe.

Third, the bottom has dropped out of Toyota's quality ratings. Approx. 68% of the cars that Toyota sells in the US (e.g. Camry, Tundra) have a "not recommended" rating from Consumer Reports. I'd look for a sales drop soon as Americans realize they're being had when they pay extra for a "reliable Toyota" and get something like a Tundra with the engine cam failures, brake failures, transmission failures, harmonic bed hop, collapsing tail gates, etc.

Fourth, the recent UAW concessions have removed most if not all of the cost advantage that GM, Ford, and Chrysler obtain from manufacturing in Canada. Look for a lot of manufacturing to shift back to the USA based on that and the conditions for plant retention and new model production locations agreed to in the new contracts.

Last edited:
The last mower by them I looked at listed Canada as one of the major parts suppliers and a good 40% were listed as "other."

LOL. I was talking about heavy construction machinery, agricultural machinery, etc.

I'm sure they do import lawn mowers from China just like everyone else.

You suppose a combine might have just a *little* more value added than a lawn mower?

First, Toyota, Hyundai, Subaru, Nissan, and Daimler all opened new auto plants in the US over the past 2years
You have to pay attention.

The new Toyota (Scion) xB we just bought had a higher percentage of American parts and labor than the Chrystler product we were considering.

My "American" Dodge Grand Caravan was put together by Canadian union labor in Windsor, Ontario.

My neighbor's "foreign" Toyota was built entirely by American labor in Kentucky.

claude783

I began purchasing silver, food, and ammo about two years ago. When I began buying silver, I could purchase a 10oz bar for $60 then go down to Wally-Mart and get 2 or 3 boxes of White Box 9mm, all for a $100 bill.

That same silver today runs me $160 and the ammo is about $15=$16 per box...I expect Stagflation

I too am expecting stagflation. I haven't been investing in silver though, I've been buying 22 ammo ahead of the price increases. If food becomes expensive then hunting small game like rabbits becomes a viable option. I have also begun getting into bullet casting and buying all the cheap scrap lead I can get. Any metal can be used to store value. It's just that some of it takes up less space and is less volatile in price.

Excellent rebuttal to PBP - I agree with you.
What...you mean the parts were he only addressed the issues by saying "it is a number" or the part where he didn't address the issues at all?

He just regurgitated a bunch of numers he heard on Rush without seeing what is really behind them. he fails to address the issue that if does not matter if GM (just an example) produces more product than ever before if a smaller percentage of the money goes into the America economy or the working man's pocket...or of the majority of it was made by avoiding taxes and shuttling money overseas.

Marko
Up until the mid 80's there were "Usery" laws in many states. The high mortgage rates of the 80's and credit card companies pushed to repeal these laws. I believe we need these back with 15% cap. Traditionally it has been illegal to take advantage of someone who needs credit.

Beat me to it..

If anyone could point me to a credit card company that extends credit at a reasonable rate (and not just a 6 month teaser rate) I would be happy to follow a link and educate myself.

"Reasonable" being the operative word here.

------------

Signs that there are serious issues with the economy: The number of Americans that simply cannot afford health care, the number of Americans that need two wage earners in a family to live in what in 1950 would be considered suburbia, oil/gas prices vs 2003, Price of Gold.

This last one is what is most interesting... while the specific value of gold may or may not be an indicator of a strong economy, it gives some insight into the mood of the country. The value of the dollar is perceived as weakening and many are looking to hedge that fall.

Some may be interested in reading this online: http://jim.com/econ/contents.html ("Economics in One Lesson")

I swear, this desire to save people from the consequences of their own bad decisions is what's going to drive the final nail into freedom's coffin before too long. We simply pass to many laws, and spend way too much money, to make sure people don't need to know basic financial management, among other things.

You are neglecting the small fact that when your neighbors lose their houses, it will drive down the price of YOURS.

There's no easy fix.. but it isn't saving people from the consequences of their own bad decisions, it is protecting yourself from those consequences.

I swear, this desire to save people from the consequences of their own bad decisions is what's going to drive the final nail into freedom's coffin before too long. We simply pass to many laws, and spend way too much money, to make sure people don't need to know basic financial management, among other things.
You are neglecting the small fact that when your neighbors lose their houses, it will drive down the price of YOURS.

There's no easy fix.. but it isn't saving people from the consequences of their own bad decisions, it is protecting yourself from those consequences.
Exactly. It's not as if people's personal financial crises occur in vacuum, and they most definitely affect others. And it's not so much about saving them from the consequences of their own bad decisions, as it is to prevent others from facilitating (even encouraging) those bad decisions. It's not as if many people here are going to advocate taxing me more so that your neighbor can make his house payment; but it might be best (for them, and you) if banks weren't willing to loan them money for houses they can't actually afford and encourage them to do so by offering teaser rates even though they don't understand that in a couple short years they'll be in real trouble.

The same principles apply (though slightly differently) to personal credit card debt. And those are fun because often it's not so much an issue of a teaser rate that can be expected to change after X amount of time, but rather rates that get "automatically" readjusted if somebody's credit score changes...so now that 10% rate that you had no reason to believe would change (except perhaps with an adjustment of the fed if it's a variable) jumps to 20+%.

So while some might like the idea of people learning the "hard lessons" about financial management on their own, and I can understand why, society as a whole (as well as the individuals therein, most likely including you MK) probably benefit from not having them do so and instead trying to reign in predatory lending tactics.

Back