Open Carry Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not call it an experiment .

I realize that was not your intent, but after the fact it's what you have. Because you are wounded prey in the third, open-carry phase, reinforces my conclusion in my mind. The experiment is weak only because there is just one sample, you.

I carry a G30 SF .

Not an ostentatious hog leg.

I had one negative with one Oklahoma County Sheriff's Deputy ( FTO ). That happened shortly after open carry took affect in Oklahoma. An off duty deputy told me I should report it. I did not have his name just that he was an FTO ( Field training officer ) He told me I needed to cover it up. I called the Oklahoma Open Carry Association. The person I spoke to told me he had a contact on the Sheriff's Department. Within 10 minutes the Under sheriff called me directly and asked what happened. I told him every detail. The deputy who told me to report it said to me a week later " I saw you made your complaint". I asked how did you know. He told me that the Sheriff's Department called him. Since then no problems .

Two years and your only negative encounter was a single ignorant LEO, and that right after the law changed. That sounds like an excellent record. Of course, you live in a relatively sane state; but, in that state's largest metropolis, right?

two years and your only negative encounter was a single ignorant LEO, and that right after the law changed. That sounds like an excellent record. Of course, you live in a relatively sane state; but, in that state's largest metropolis, right?
No no hog leg holster. I like the fact you can not be charged with disturbing the peace in Oklahoma for a MWAG call. For a state that is new to open carry it has gone very well. Maybe because we are a Southern State might explain why we are sane. Yes Oklahoma City at the time. Since then I have moved to a smaller area. Here I have in one day seen as many as 4 people open carry ( within 30 minutes at Wally World) . Only time I cover is at Church. I like the fact My Pastor is a gun guy .

^I'm not sure how one can be credibly charged with disturbing the peace by simply participating in a lawful activity. Or, does OK's open carry law have a provision that precludes such charges?

In WA open carry is acknowledged as being protected under the state constitution. It is only prohibited, along with permitted concealed carry, in certain areas called out in state or federal law. I think one would have to add especially obnoxious behavior on top off open carrying to get in trouble for disturbing the peace here. But, I assume that carrying openly, especially in the proggie bastion of Seattle, would result in multiple 911 calls to police and personal attention I would not welcome.

Limnophile- go back and re-read his post. RE:
That happened shortly after open carry took affect in Oklahoma.
. He COULDN'T be credibly charged. He may have been charged, gotten the free ride, citation or whatever- but it would have been dismissed in quite short order. Believe it or don't, LEO folk aren't automatically updated with every piece of legislation passage. Even in those circles, it takes a bit of time to get info disseminated thoroughly.

When CC passed in Tx, there was a Chief of Police here in the Panhandle region who held the pholosophy "You may beat the charge, but you can't beat the ride."

I don't think open carry is always a political statement. Some folks may simply like to show off their fancier equipment. I could see the allure of open carrying a Colt Python, a Sig X-Five, an HK P7M13 or a WWI era 1911.

The very point of owning a barbecue gun, after all, is to show it. Somebody else needs to explain the concept to those unfamiliar.

So wear it to a BBQ along with a Big Hat and Big Buckle and bring your cattle?

Sigh - we are winding down. Anybody have anything to say that has a factual basis?

Otherwise, we covered it. Or uncovered it? :confused:

Limnophile- go back and re-read his post. RE:

That happened shortly after open carry took affect in Oklahoma.

I specifically noted that kinggabby's sole negative experience occurred right after the law changed in order to cut the uninformed LEO a break.

He COULDN'T be credibly charged. He may have been charged, gotten the free ride, citation or whatever- but it would have been dismissed in quite short order. Believe it or don't, LEO folk aren't automatically updated with every piece of legislation passage. Even in those circles, it takes a bit of time to get info disseminated thoroughly.

When CC passed in Tx, there was a Chief of Police here in the Panhandle region who held the pholosophy "You may beat the charge, but you can't beat the ride."

What happened to the notion that ignorance of the law is no excuse? Any LEO making unlawful arrests -- ie, the ride -- is violating criminal and civil law. In some jurisdictions (unfortunately not in my state) common law grants a citizen the authority to resist an unlawful arrest.

Even if he ( LEO ) agreed with the law or not the law is the law. It was in the news 7- 8 months before the law took affect. So he had plenty of time to either read it in the paper, watch the news or review it in the Oklahoma SDA ( Self defense Act ) handbook. And the fact that 2 off duty Sheriff's Deputies witnessed it would not have helped him . One being the one who said I should report him ( also found out he gave up the FTO's name).

With permit free open and concealed carry, one would be able to wear a gun in a comfortable manner without drawing attention to it or getting arrested if they can't conceal it in their current outfit.

I have to say that to me, the advantage would be being able to carry a defensive handgun I truly feel comfortable with (like my cz 75) without radically changing my dress to conceal it. I might choose to openly carry it, cover it completely with a jacket, or just throw a t shirt over it to make it not seem like I'm out to get attention.

I do have a personal belief that open carry discourages a large number of criminals, but of course I have no empirical data of that.

There is also the fact that the majority of states allow unlicensed open carry, making it the only way to exercise your right without asking for the privilege of a carry license. That's a big advantage to people of certain political philosophies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back