Open Carry Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here, lots of folks OC when out and about hunting, fishing, working on farms and ranches, working in the woods, etc. You do see some folks open carrying in town, but it's usually someone who didn't bother taking off their gun before running to the gas station or store.

There are a few who open carry in town on a regular basis but not many people pay much attention to it, except for the occasional out-of-towner or some of the folks stationed at the Air Force base. And then it's usually just people expressing surprise that OC is legal here.

I hope you get open carry there soon, it's nice to have options. Not to mention being able to exercise ALL of your 2A rights without government interference.

Until I get my CC I open carry. I am unobtrusive about it, I don't rest my hand on it, I don't re-adjust it, I just go about my business.

As long as open carry is legal I will do it when I choose. But there is a difference between just open carrying or purposely making a political statement by drawing attention to yourself.

since when is the statement "I can't think of a good reason the "normal citizen" ought to open carry." a suggestion to exercise caution as opposed to the approval of an infringement?
He expressed an opinion on the utility of the practice. I don't see him advocating for infringement of the practice.
I made that statement, and Tom Servo has my intended meaning. I approve of your right to OC even if it infringes on my sense of good reason. :rolleyes: Now I'm mincing words. I think we're pretty much agreeing with each other.

Last edited:
I have heard there will be an addition to the penal codes stating unlawful to open carry on property. Something like the 30.06 signs you see now. But, CC will be ok. I not sure if I will OC, but I want it and campus carry to pass.

Phil

Last edited:
With what I have in my pocket carry, I can safely draw it and fire it if necessary to protect myself, my loved ones, or innocent bystanders under attack (knowing my target and what's behind the target.) It is with me always except in the shower or sleeping, but close in either case.

I see one problem with open carry...that is, unless the general public "feels" intimidated because of their dislike of firearms in general. If they call 911 to emotionally report a crazy guy carrying a gun around, then (in some communities) I could get a response from the police department and get ticketed for upsetting the liberal pacifist! (who someday might ask me to come to their aid if they, most likely come under attack!

Last edited:
Like SaxonPig, I think it's ridiculous that anyone that claims they're "pro 2nd Amendment" feels it's okay to "infringe" upon the legal gun rights of other "normal citizens". I wonder if they're wearing a t-shirt with the Gadsden Flag on it at the same time?

Nothing I've said has anything to do with "rights"

Im saying it's generally a bad idea to carry openly when you can carry concealed

All the cliches about "rights" add nothing to the actual topic.

It's been legal here as long as I can remember, but virtually no one does it because it serves no real purpose

You're correct, but since when is the statement "I can't think of a good reason the "normal citizen" ought to open carry." a suggestion to exercise caution as opposed to the approval of an infringement?

That statement doesn't mention laws nor restrictions.

There is no "infringement" involved

It's just a bad idea, legal or not

My state has allowed open carry for ever. No one really does except hunting or at an outdoor range. When I was a youth in my late and early teens we used to have to carry in an unflapped holster when we rode our bicycles to the Ikes Club shooting range across town. This was back in the 1960's. Also I have had a CCW since i turned 21 before it was popular. I have had no reason to carry open.

"Unless I missed it in here somewhere- and no one has yet touched on- one of the major perks of the upcomming (presumably) passage of TX's OC law is that protection will be provided for the "peekers". By "Peekers", I mean those who CC, but worry (however rightfully so) that they will be caught, ratted out, charged, striped of their CHL, etc if their shirt should ride up or their CC is inadvertantly displayed in some other innocent manner"

I agree with this statement. Where I live has always been OC although most of us didn't display a firearm all that much. As it stands, I don't worry about whether some busybody sees a little of my pistol. It's legal, if you don't like to see my gun-look the other way.
On the other hand, I CC many places I wouldn't OC simply because I don't care to be hassled by some over achiever cop. I conduct "interviews" in people's homes 50-75 times per year and CC even though I could legally OC. I'm not ashamed of carrying a firearm but I feel some folks would be less comfortable if my pistol was showing. Discretion is the key.

I can understand the concern that a lot of people open carrying could come cross in a negative way. But in my experience the opposite is happening. People are seeing gun owners carrying and acting responsibly here. If anything it has been a very positive PR experience. Of course GA is pretty solid pro-gun anyway. The effects in some other states could be different, but I don't see open carry being legal in those places.

I think it's all about the attitude of the person who is open-carrying. Those Billy Badass types are the unsettling to *anybody* IMO, whereas there are other types of people who would probably never get a second look.

When open carry passes in Texas (and it will) I don't think I'll be strapping on my 1875 Remington 45 in a cowboy holster, but it will be nice to be able to carry something larger and not have to worry about it printing.
Instead of a J frame, I will carry a K frame 4" barrel, or 5" 1911 instead of a 3", but still have my LCP in my hip pocket.

Here in MI I've seen about 5 individuals open carry at various locations. One time I was at a burgerking getting lunch. I was cc'ing myself but the guy in front of me was open carrying a (looked like a 1911). after we got our orders I was standing behind him in line to get my drink and was thinking how easy it would be to knock this guy over the head and take his weapon.
Another time I was in a menards and a guy was open carrying. He passed me as I was waiting for my wife and I asked him about his experiences open carrying. At first contact he was very defensive until I said that I was a gun owner too and just wanted to know about his experiences. he said most experiences were of the confrontational nature.
Another time I was open carrying on my rural property (the only place I open carry) up near the road weed wacking. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a sheriff's car coming down the road. they passed slowly as I pretended not to notice, passed me but came to a stop a little further down the road and stopped briefly as if discussing me then promptly took off.
So in closing I don't have a problem with others open carrying but I do think it only opens you up for theft of your weapon, and constantly having to explain yourself to others. I like to keep a low profile when I carry.

v-fib

We have permit-free open carry, and permit-required concealed carry.
It's nice to not have to worry about "flashing" your gun, but virtually nobody open carries in town on s regular basis. Those that do tend to look like weirdos.

In cooler weather I do occasionally wear a owb holster, but if I'm going into town I throw a vest or light jacket on over it.

I wholeheartedly think that open carry should be legal, but - like it or not - open carrying in public is not "well mannered" behavior, and isn't going to do anything good for our collective image.

The only time I open carry is when I'm in the great outdoors, camping or hiking. Otherwise it just seems more sensible IMO to cover it up.

Another time I was in a menards and a guy was open carrying. He passed me as I was waiting for my wife and I asked him about his experiences open carrying. At first contact he was very defensive until I said that I was a gun owner too and just wanted to know about his experiences. he said most experiences were of the confrontational nature.
That's one of the reasons I don't open carry. I don't want negative confrontations from people on a daily basis. Why would a person put themselves thru this on purpose?

I wholeheartedly think that open carry should be legal, but - like it or not - open carrying in public is not "well mannered" behavior, and isn't going to do anything good for our collective image.

Well mannered behavior?? If the general public got used to seeing people OC and understood guns and gun safety, they would not be offended.

Is it well mannered behavior to fly the American flag?

Is it well mannered behavior for a Catholic to wear a cross in a public school?

To me, well mannered means to act in a way that does not intentionally offend someone. So if you're wearing a cross and someone gets offended, the wearer does not have bad manners.

If you OC and someone is offended, that does not mean the wearer has bad manners. On the other hand, when these dumbs kids (any age adult) walk around trying to get attention for OC by acting stupid, that is bad manners and is a black eye to mature adults who choose to OC or CC.

Most would agree our 2nd amendment rights are God given, and not a government gift, but most would also agree that government has been very successful at stripping away God given rights. Having it in the Constitution is no guarantee of its preservation. We see our rights trampled by government on a regular basis these days. The Constitution is only as good as an American public that is willing to stand behind it, which means all "rights" only carry that designation when viewed favorably by the people. Wrong as that is, that is reality. When rights are abused, or get a negative reputation, they are subject to political destruction.

All this means is that everyone should always exercise their rights with discretion, and be mindful of the image you project. If you lead a life of responsible example with your rights, the people will view them favorably. If you use your rights to purposely offend and annoy people, and get in their face, daring them to "do something about it", your God given rights are sure to be taken away by politicians with the approval of the people.

When I see somebody with a weapon, I will form an immediate impression, so I am mindful of the impresssion I might give. I'm all for having the right to open carry. I wish more people exercized better judgement when doing it. Sometimes I see it, and think "that person is doing what they need to do to be safe or practical" and sometimes I see it and think "there is a tool who thinks he can accessorize himself into being a wannabe badazz." Which kind of image do you project?

I would have one impression of a modestly dressed lady quietly wearing a small cross on her neck, doing nothing to make herself stand out, while having a totally different impression of a half naked Modonna music video where she is wearing a large obnoxious crusifix while grinding on some guys leg and humping a chair.

This, like responsible OCing, comes down to the perspective of the people around your and using good judgement and discretion, something as responsible gun owners, we should do all the time. Doesn't matter if it's OCing, wearing gun apparel in public, displaying dead game animals or preaching the 2nd Amendment. There's an appropriate time and place for everything and nothing is appropriate all the time. Take certain women and yoga pants for example...........

Thanks for the image - blah.

Anyway - the obvious answer has been promulgated by many and our crack staff.

1. The right or ability should be legally recognized.
2. It protects against prosecution from accidental concealed exposure.
3. It's tactical utility is unknown by empirical data across various situations.

Urban carry is not rural carry.

The low numbers of such carry in 'dangerous' crowded areas leads us not to have data on the risks there.

One does note that about 20 to 30% of police shootings occur with their own gun. But police close quarter interactions are different from OC folks in Whole Foods.

4. If you want to posture to convince folks of the righteous nature of the RKBA, then perhaps some research on the effectiveness of the tactic would be a good idea. That's what real opinion movers and shakers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back