On the Road: Best car/hotel SD weapon?

Plastic keys for the room...

have made in room safety a safer bet. Biggest threat would seem to be getting from the parking lot to the registration desk and then to your room. I don't see how,with luggage, kids, and such from the car into the room, a cut down shoulder arm could be anything but a nusiance.

Used to be it wasn't uncommon to nap while laying on the floor with your feet against the door. That was another life.

sd.

Interesting thread. When I travel, I always take two Master Lock security bars to the hotel. These are a great investment in security. Just block the door and rest a little easier. Any invader will make a lot of noise and commotion before getting in, giving me plenty of time to grab my gun. I like to ask for a room on at least the third floor to minimize the threat of entry through a window. Of course, choosing a well reviewed hotel can minimize problems.

As far as weapons, my CC pistol stays with me whenever legal and at least two mags are nearby. I also tend to carry two boxes of ammo locked in a car safe. I only carry a long gun when going hunting or camping. Then, it's usually a 12 gauge shotgun or a pistol caliber rifle. If I'm going away for a week or more, I will break down my Mossberg 500, wrap it in towels and store it in a small case similarly to Malamute.

I don't trust hotel staff and I would rather conceal and lock the shotgun in my truck rather than trust hotel staff to leave it alone. When I leave the hotel for the day, all of my valuables leave with me. Car theft can be a problem, but I have ways of making my vehicle unattractive to thieves.

If I had to pick from the OP's list, it would be the coach gun or Mossberg 510. I have learned that it is best to travel light whenever possible.

I wish somebody here could lend me their crystal ball so I could read the future to know just how well armed whoever it will be breaking down my hotel door. Oh, the date and time would also be good to know.

The places I usually stay charge $150 to $200 a night and I research to know the neighborhood as well as possible - and I still see questionable things happening in the parking lot.

So until I know in advance just what I will be up against (never going to happen) I will arm as well as possible for the worst I can reasonably expect. If I outgun them where's the harm in that? Quite possibly it would mean that there is no longer a profit in it for them and they will retreat without an issue.

I wish somebody here could lend me their crystal ball so I could read the future to know just how well armed whoever it will be breaking down my hotel door. Oh, the date and time would also be good to know.

The places I usually stay charge $150 to $200 a night and I research to know the neighborhood as well as possible - and I still see questionable things happening in the parking lot.

So until I know in advance just what I will be up against (never going to happen) I will arm as well as possible for the worst I can reasonably expect. If I outgun them where's the harm in that? Quite possibly it would mean that there is no longer a profit in it for them and they will retreat without an issue.

Who says if you bring an AR-15 the people breaking in don't have 3 AK-47s, Level IIIA body armor, and a grenade? You'll never, ever be 100% protected. Not ever. It's best to strike a balance between total helpless obliviousness and living life overthinking very unlikely threats. A service-caliber pistol strikes that balance nicely. It is likely to stop almost any threat but is also very easy to transport and conceal.

Put another way, I wonder how many folks packing long guns into Holiday Inn get their recommend daily allowances of vegetables and whole grains, because a bad diet is way, way more statistically likely to kill a man than hotel marauders.

Who says if you bring an AR-15 the people breaking in don't have 3 AK-47s, Level IIIA body armor, and a grenade? You'll never, ever be 100% protected. Not ever. It's best to strike a balance between total helpless obliviousness and living life overthinking very unlikely threats. A service-caliber pistol strikes that balance nicely. It is likely to stop almost any threat but is also very easy to transport and conceal.

That is fine if it works for you. I note that IIIa armor won't stop most AR-15 rounds anyway but; it will stop nearly all service pistol rounds.

You may be under thinking it though. There could be other reasons for taking a long gun on an overnight trip. Leaving it in your car in the hotel parking lot would be a very bad idea. Having it sitting in a box on the floor unready when you suddenly, really, really want it seems foolish.

That is not really a good argument peacefulguy. A lot of people keep long guns in the trunk of their car every day JIC.
Yes, they do. And lots of trunks get broken in to every day, and lots of guns get stolen every day.

Arms can be secured to varying degrees in a vehicle. Use your imagination and google skills. A bike cable and lock run around a seat frame and locked to the gun is one simple way. Gun lockers or safes designed for vehicles also are available.
These securing methods are extremely easily defeated. They really only offer a false sense of security.
Believe me, I learned this first hand when my truck was broken in to and my stuff was stolen.

A large dog in the vehicle also seems to discourage people hanging around and getting too curious.
Yeah, I love dogs, but traveling with pets can be a real PITA. It limits where you can stay, you can't leave them in the vehicle if it's too hot or too cold, you have to walk them so they can relieve themselves, you can't leave them unattended for long periods of time, someone might kill or steal your dog....

Keeping long guns in the vehicle while your traveling is just not a wise thing to do.

I've learned that it's best to not leave anything of value in your vehicle.
I don't even lock my truck because (1) there's nothing to steal, and (2) a broken window cost about $300.00 bucks to fix.

Yes, they do. And lots of trunks get broken in to every day, and lots of guns get stolen every day.

They get stolen at home and in gun shops too. Are you saying we should not have those either? There is no such evidence that says a long gun in your trunk is more at risk than one in your home.

They get stolen at home and in gun shops too. Are you saying we should not have those either? There is no such evidence that says a long gun in your trunk is more at risk than one in your home.
Yeah, your home is not immune from thieves either.
But gun safes are much harder to defeat than a car's trunk.
And they are heavy and harder to transport than a car safe.
And if you don't use a gun safe in your home then you are really making it too easy for thieves to steal firearms.

I've learned that it's best to not leave anything of value in your vehicle.I don't even lock my truck because (1) there's nothing to steal, and (2) a broken window cost about $300.00 bucks to fix.

I think its safe to say that you've learned that its best for you not to leave anything of value in your vehicle. I'm sorry you've had things stolen, and sorry you're defeated by it (your entire post two back speaks of your being defeated in a number of aspects, not a attack, but an observation of your perspective of the situation). I've had things stolen also, but am not defeated by it. I'll continue to carry long guns and other valuables when I travel, and continue to do things I believe will reduce the odds that I'll have a problem when doing so. Having my guns (plural) is part of the solution, not part of the problem. My dogs go where I go, and my guns go where I go. There's no question on either of those points for me, so I just deal with it and go on with life.

Best of luck.

I think its safe to say that you've learned that its best for you not to leave anything of value in your vehicle. I'm sorry you've had things stolen, and sorry you're defeated by it (your entire post two back speaks of your being defeated in a number of aspects, not a attack, but an observation of your perspective of the situation). I've had things stolen also, but am not defeated by it. I'll continue to carry long guns and other valuables when I travel, and continue to do things I believe will reduce the odds that I'll have a problem when doing so. Having my guns (plural) is part of the solution, not part of the problem. My dogs go where I go, and my guns go where I go. There's no question on either of those points for me, so I just deal with it and go on with life.

Best of luck.

How is learning a lesson from a life experience being defeated? If he leaves a car unlocked and it gets stolen, and he locks it from there on, he wasn't defeated by a robber, he learned from an experience.

You don't necessarily need to live your life the same way he does, but altering behavior patterns based on experience is a main hallmark of an intelligent species.

Last edited:
Who says if you bring an AR-15 the people breaking in don't have 3 AK-47s, Level IIIA body armor, and a grenade?

Well, I have read about home invasions and a few similar crimes but in none of those was a grenade used so I won't worry about that.

However, I don't imagine any home invasion type crime has been committed with anything less than a handgun or two. If I am planning to be armed for 90% of what I have read about why would I choose to arm myself to just the same minimum level to be expected? THAT doesn't make sense. A proper defense has to be more powerful than the anticipated attack - this is a fundamental concept.

If I was starting from zero; owned no guns, had no training, had no experience facing armed opponents nor any idea how criminals operate that would be a different discussion. I am already well past all that and have numerous compact rifles and shotguns to choose from.

I am not arguing that my choice is the best for everybody or even for any person in particular. I am just stating what my choice is and why.

Originally posted by LockedBreech How is learning a lesson from a life experience being defeated? If he leaves a car unlocked and it gets stolen, and he locks it from there on, he wasn't defeated by a robber, he learned from an experience.

You don't necessarily need to live your life the same way he does, but altering behavior patterns based on experience is a main hallmark of an intelligent species.

I agree with your second paragraph.

Regarding the first paragraph, I believe he said the opposite of what you said, that he stopped locking his vehicle, since the window will only get broken out, and not to ever have anything of value in a vehicle, since it will only get stolen. It sounded like he gave up on keeping anything safe in his vehicle, and felt that was the lesson others should take from it, as it was offered as advice in this thread on the question of having another gun along when travelling.

Same basic ideas on securing anything in a vehicle from the earlier posts, the feeling I got from his posts was it was basically hopeless to keep anything in a vehicle, even cable locked, or secured, even with a dog in the vehicle. OK, that was his lesson from his experiences, I get that, it just isn't mine, I've had things stolen from a vehicle also. I wont give up on having my personal effects with me when I travel, and do the best I can to keep them safe.

Best of luck.

Given the number of people who have bad things stolen from vehicles, and given your own experience, I can't help but feel that your post is loaded with failure. When your irresponsibility results in criminals obtaining weapons, your communities lose. If you have guns in your vehicle, I hope they are secured by more than locked doors and closed windows.

It sounded like he gave up on keeping anything safe in his vehicle, and felt that was the lesson others should take from it, as it was offered as advice in this thread on the question of having another gun along when travelling.

Same basic ideas on securing anything in a vehicle from the earlier posts, the feeling I got from his posts was it was basically hopeless to keep anything in a vehicle, even cable locked, or secured, even with a dog in the vehicle. OK, that was his lesson from his experiences, I get that, it just isn't mine, I've had things stolen from a vehicle also. I wont give up on having my personal effects with me when I travel, and do the best I can to keep them safe.
Yes, it is basically hopeless to keep things secure in your vehicle.

Glass windows do not stop thieves.

A thin metal cable is a joke that is defeated with just a snip of a bolt cutter.

Your dog will only deter kids, not determined thieves who will spray your dog with pepper-spray or oven cleaner, or feed them poisoned food.

What you have is a false sense of security.

Nothing you leave in your vehicle is safe or secure.

You admit that you have had things stolen from your vehicle in the past, yet you still leave firearms in your unattended vehicle.
This is very irresponsible in my opinion.
Why make it easier for thieves to get firearms?

peacefulgary said:
"...it is basically hopeless to keep things secure in your vehicle..."
"What you have is a false sense of security."
and:
"Nothing you leave in your vehicle is safe or secure."

Okay, now I'm really depressed;).

He's right, of course: Any sense of security a person has is illusory; no one is safe from all, however remote, possibility of harm/loss. The best we can do is try to be prepared to face the inevitible downside.

So,

peacefulgary said:
"Why make it easier for thieves to get firearems?"

I'm never trying to make it easier for thieves to get my stuff, but I'm willing to venture a trade-off in risk in order to be able to use my stuff myself.

And, having my stuff where I can use it is not, IMO, irresponsible if I take reasonable methods to secure it.

P.S., Thanks for all the thoughtful responses, and more would be interesting and instructive. I've been on two trips since I started the thread. Took the Mini-20 along on the first and the Winchester Trapper .44 mag along on the second.

Best,

Will

Last edited:
I didn't realize how dangerous the world had become. Maybe I take the wrong roads or live in the wrong place. I've been travelling with guns for over 30 years. I guess I should give up on hunting and fun shooting when I travel, since anywhere I stop my vehicle will be mobbed and plundered when I get a burger. I'll have to tell my friends, they travel with guns also, including a couple LEO's. They'll be disappointed. I guess nobody told them how irresponsible it was to travel with guns.

I lost some things from an old truck that didn't have functioning door locks. My take away from that is to have locks that work. I also keep it parked where I can see it, don't leave things in sight, get rooms where I can see my vehicle and it's close to the door to get out if needed, and a large dog does indeed keep people from getting very nosy. Getting past those things makes noise and takes time. Not much, but it attracts attention. There are electronic measure that assist in awareness of what's going on with your vehicle also. I'll take it from there.

This conversation reminds of bear discussions. Some feel there's no way to defend yourself from a bear, its hopeless to even try, and anyone that ventures into the woods alone in grizzly country alone is asking to be an hors d'oeuvre. I've somehow survived that (and sleeping on the ground in many places) for almost as long as I've been traveling with guns. I hardly ever get eaten.

Thanks for sharing your opinions guys. I don't agree with them, though perhaps it is in fact as bad as you say where you live, and you may be fully justified in feeling the way you do because of that. It isn't like that where I live and travel, so I'll continue with what I've been doing.

I don't particularly care what anyone else decided they do or don't need to bring with them when they travel.

That being said, there does seem to be a little bit of a disconnect when people decide that:
a) the chance of crime is high enough that you should bring a rifle when you travel
b) the chance of crime is low enough that it's not a big deal to leave guns unattended in cars or hotel rooms.

Also, I think when we say "travel" some people are thinking road/hunting trip, and other people are thinking business trip.
Bringing a rifle with you when you're driving out somewhere with your buddies to hunt is no big deal. Bringing a rifle to the Hilton while you go to a conference with a bunch of co-workers is going to be a pita.
Parking where you can see your car, or leaving a dog inside aren't really options at a big convention center.

I don't particularly care what anyone else decided they do or don't need to bring with them when they travel.

That being said, there does seem to be a little bit of a disconnect when people decide that:

a) the chance of crime is high enough that you should bring a rifle when you travel

b) the chance of crime is low enough that it's not a big deal to leave guns unattended in cars or hotel rooms.

Yes, this. Thank you for finding the phrasing I could not.

Bringing a rifle to the Hilton while you go to a conference with a bunch of co-workers is going to be a pita.

I can tell you this was not an issue at the Hyatt in down town Houston in 2006. The staff did not even give me a second look. NYC I probably would have been rick-rolled-up.

Funny that.

Back