On the Road: Best car/hotel SD weapon?

The only thing that seperates a good neighborhood and a bad neighborhood are bad things happening. I don't want to be the first bad thing to happen in a previously good neighborhood.

But, a nice hotel, is separated from a cheap motel by a bit more. Namely, an awake night staff - often including a security officer - heavy fire doors on all the rooms, and security cameras.
The Hilton would be a pretty terrible place to plan a "home" invasion.
And, based on the beds/sheets alone it's worth the extra $50 or so to me.

Besides, I'd be at my most venerable in the sauna/gym, I assume they would frown on me bringing a rife in to those places with me.

When I travel out of town, I bring my EDC (Bersa Thunder 380 CC, 8+1 rounds) and one full sized high capacity pistol (Springfield XDM 9, 19+1 rounds), with two extra magazines, for "just in case." Crime can happen anywhere, even in posh hotels.

And something else to consider, just because its legal doesn't mean the police think it is ok to do so. Trust me on this, not every cop is friendly and cares about your rights. So carrying a rifle or shotgun into a hotel looks pretty bad, decent chance someone will call the police and there's a good chance you will get hassled. I've had something as simple as walking down a river bank turned into the police trying to get me to admit to do doing drugs and breaking into cars. Here's a helpful hint, do not drive a panel van to a city park. It looks bad, as does carrying an AR15 into your hotel room. You need to be discret, carry handguns. Plus even if you just keep it loaded in a car, I'd like to see someone easily get it from the backseat and shoot it from the drivers seat. No way is that easy. Sure, a pistol AR or AK could work. They are heavy for a pistol though, and I can almost guarantee you'll have hearing damage from firing one in a car. I know the AK pistols are loud, very loud. They make .44 Magnum sound like a .22LR.

I just recently started a new job, I'm on the road about 6-7 hours a day. My fear is the truck will break down. You never know who you might run in to. If I ever get the time to take the class, I've got a Magnum Research Baby Eagle.

Well, I'm with FireForged in post #29.

I tend not to over-analyze this sort of thing. I've carried a badge and some sort of duty/off-duty weapon for more than 30 years, and I just don't see the need to carry a rifle or shotgun for personal defense while traveling.

Before I retired, when I traveled for work, I was carrying either my issued service weapon or an authorized off-duty weapon. Whichever was used, that's what I'd have used for any necessary defensive situation when I was driving or taking overnight lodging.

Now that I'm retired, it's whatever handgun I'm taking along under LEOSA (if traveling out-of-state).

At the moment, for an out-of-state driving trip we've been on, I decided to take along one of my J-frames and my LCP (since the LCP is enough smaller to be more easily pocket-holstered in a couple of my jeans pockets). The J-frame is a chambered for .357 Magnum, but I'm carrying it (and some speedloaders/speedstrips) loaded with some of the usual +P loads I commonly use.

Granted, I did pack a 50-rd box of some GDHP loads for each of my guns in one of my bags, as that's a habit I formed years ago when traveling armed away from home for extended periods.

Having taken long guns to outside training, safe/secure storage of one while away from the vehicle or motel is a concern I'd just as soon not have to deal with, especially now that I'm retired.

I like to keep it simple as well and would stay away from the hassle of drawing attention with a long arm. I cant imagine dragging it along and for sure would not leave it in the room.

I stay in large chain hotels that often are at highway exits which are not always the best locations imo. I was at one that looked good from the drive in. When we pulled out of the lot to go get food a block away it was a different scene. Made me happy I doubled up on my concealed carry weapons, stayed on high alert, and had an escape plan for the family.

Two high capacity pistols and back up mags give me plenty of comfort and shots.

Maybe I'm wasting my time as the people here who are opposed to the idea of a long gun keep writing about it as if you are required to wave it around as you go to and from your room.

There are a number of long arms which can fit into non-standard carrying bags - tennis racket, snow-board bag, etc - which camo the gun into something innocuous. Apply a little grey matter and you can avoid notice by other patrons and hotel staff.

Also, it seems to me that a lot of responses here are from the "hasn't happened to me yet" crowd. I hope that good luck continues for everybody too. My good luck hasn't fared so well - so I prepare.

just arry a propper fighting handgun and have a factory high cap mag or two on hand and a weapon light to put on the weapon in the dark hours

On great arm for travel is an AK-47 with a folding stock....

Seriously? You travel with an AK-47? Lets say you had to use that in a defensive situation, how do you think that's going to come out for you (assuming that you can actually get your hands on it quick enough to shoot an attacker).

The only guns that should be used for road travel are ordinary handguns that can be concealed, carried on your person, and accessed quickly. Take your pick - there thousands to choose from, so long as they come in 9mm, .357, .40S&W, or 45ACP. I would also suggest that they have good rust resistance and cost under $500. That way, if you loose it, get it stolen, have it rust on you, drop it on something hard, etc., you won't cry (too much) over it.

"Bad things can happen anywhere" is logic that only stretches so far. It's true to an extent, of course, which is why most of us carry a handgun, which is a practical compromise between living life and being decked out for battle. Twin ammo bandoliers and an M240B would deter crime, but at that point you're not living your life anymore.

Checking into a hotel with long gun slung over your shoulder is likely to result in an unpleasant visit with the local PD. Carry a good service pistol and if you really feel the need for more fire power, look at something you can fold or break down and put inside your regular lugage.

Why would this be? I have done this more than 50 times (including Northern Colorado) and the police have not been summoned even once. Lots of people travel with guns (hunting, shooting competition, gun shows, etc etc etc)

That said I would have gone with the SKS.

Wow.

So, if we go from "I'm reasonable and only carry a handgun" to "I choose to carry something more than a handgun", then those that choose more than a handgun now are carrying their rifles slung over their shoulder, making a spectacle of themselves somehow, and all the way to this one
Twin ammo bandoliers and an M240B would deter crime, but at that point you're not living your life anymore.
Good grief.

A Winchester model 12 breaks down into a compact package for travel. If the barrel is cut to 18"- 20", the entire thing broken down is no more than 20" (length of the butt stock and receiver). They put together in a few seconds, hold 6 rds, and don't arouse much attention for the most part if seen assembled. I'm not a big shotgun fan, but find them handy for travel. The case I had made for it is pretty ordinary looking. It pretty well disappears when laid on top of my black overnight duffel.

IMG_5665_zps54eb5199.jpg

IMG_5666_zps5d5c5c50.jpg

IMG_5667_zps4e6bee16.jpg

then those that choose more than a handgun now are carrying their rifles slung over their shoulder, making a spectacle of themselves somehow,

How would I be making a spectacle of myself checking into a hotel with a rifle on my shoulder? You really should talk to some hotel clerks for some good stories. They can tell you some stories I am sure. Something tells me you don't travel much.

I think you missed my point. From some of the comments, it appears that some that don't believe in taking anything more than a pistol are exaggerating the other viewpoint and attempting to portray anyone with a different perspective as extreme.

Last edited:
Sometimes you gotta think outside the box, . . .

Or look at history, . . .

Remember the Chicago Tommy guns in the violin cases?

Consider this the 2013 version,..........:D

May God bless,
Dwight

Attachments

• new gun case.jpg
    new gun case.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 57
  • new gun case 2.jpg
    new gun case 2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 51
Your usual CCW will suffice for a hotel stay. Bring a few extra mags/speedloaders in your luggage and call it good.

If you think you need something with longer range & more power, I'd recommend a long-barreled magnum revolver: .357, .44, or .454. It gives you the range you'll need without being too large and conspicuous. Feel free to scope it. Use a good, lockable pistol safe secured to your vehicle.

Sometimes, when I feel like I need a second gun, I'll pack my .357 Blackhawk 6.5" in the truck. I can hit a goblin-sized target at 100yds. if I need to.

Since we travle some I googled Motel Room Forced Entry

http://www.crimedoctor.com/hotelinvasion.htm

Didn't find any stat's but this is an interesting read. My other half and I have both read it and agree with most of what the author says. We do carry a revolver in the car, and take it with us into the motel rooms. A bit of preparation and keeping your head if something does start to go wrong is paramount to your personal safety. We would only use the gun in our room in the event that our door was breached. At that point it will be a free for all.

We also read reviews of the facilities before we book rooms. And we write reviews of our stay too. Staying in a flea bag place isn't my idea of a good deal. The few bucks extra to feel secure is well worth it.

This has been an interesting thread. Thanks to the OP.

My CCW, of course, but I’d also like to take along a more substantial defense weapon for the car and the hotel room. Obviously, ease of deployment/use are more important than long-range accuracy, but not sure what else would be important.

Among the contestants (I will be running a paired-comparison decision process):

Rossi SxS 20 ga. coach gun

Mossberg 510 mini-20

Winchester 94 in .44magnum

Marlin 94 in .357 magnum

Ruger Mini-14

SKS

You're on an excursion...

Where are your long guns when you stop to refuel?

Where are your long guns when you stop to eat and use the facilities?

Where are your long guns when you attend an event where you cannot bring them?

Where are your long guns when you are "seeing the sites"?

The fact is this:
If your weapon is not on your side, and is in your vehicle or your hotel room or the hotel safe, then it is not secured.
And it is doing you no good whatsoever.

Don't waste your time bringing a long gun with you on a trip unless it is a hunting trip.

That is not really a good argument peacefulguy. A lot of people keep long guns in the trunk of their car every day JIC.

I don't agree with peacefulgary's opinion either.

True, at those moments he mentions it isn't useful, but that hardly means it isn't useful to have along. The time besides those mentioned, it's available, which is far preferable to it being hundreds of miles away (or even across town). Same reasoning as to why I always have a rifle in the truck, not just when travelling. Bad things don't always happen when you're at home, so whatever whiz bang hardware you may own, is profoundly useless if it isn't available when needed.

Arms can be secured to varying degrees in a vehicle. Use your imagination and google skills. A bike cable and lock run around a seat frame and locked to the gun is one simple way. Gun lockers or safes designed for vehicles also are available. A large dog in the vehicle also seems to discourage people hanging around and getting too curious.

Back