On the Road: Best car/hotel SD weapon?

How would you secure all these firearms on the road? Neither the hotel or the car are appropriate places. How are you going to leisurely carry around any of this? I say anything beyond a compact pistol will be a no-go.

I have stayed in all kinds of hotels but never stayed in one where I felt I needed a rifle. This isnt Afghanistan.

Sounds like an awful lot of paranoia in this thread.

Along with these concerns, I also see concerns about bringing long guns into a hotel discreetly.

Having a rifle accessible in a vehicle.

Being able to fire a rifle in a vehicle.

Running afoul of state laws.

To the first concern, I fold the stock on my Mini-14 and put it in the suitcase. When I am on the road, I lock the doors. Is there some risk it will get stolen? Yes. But where else am I going to put my suitcase, 3 PIM sets, an Anritsu, and the $10K to $20K in other tools that are in my car? Odds are if someone stole the Dodge Caravan that's parked outside my room, they're making out better than if they stole a Mercedes.

To the second concern, I was staying in a decent Comfort Inn in the Los Angeles area a few years ago. The cop who pulled the guy below me out of his room felt he needed a long gun, AND felt he needed 7 or 8 buddies with guns. If the cops need long guns at a hotel, why is it so outlandish to think someone else might need a long gun at a hotel?

Besides, my rifle isn't just for the hotel. People who know what an Anritsu or a PIM set is will understand that I work in, and travel through, some very remote areas. If the police are in town 20 miles away, it's going to take a long time for them to get to me. Assuming they can find me in the woods two miles off the nearest named road. Assuming I have enough service to call them in the first place. So considering the situation, I hope to have more range and more bullets than the other guy.

As for bringing a riffle or shotgun into a hotel room. Are you thinking that I just walk in with a rifle slung over my shoulder? Most defensive shotguns and rifles will break down somehow and fit in a suitcase. If it's a lever gun or some other long gun that won't break down, just put it in a rifle case. I've never seen anyone that cares about this.

The long gun doesn't have to be that accessible in a vehicle. That;s why you have a sidearm. I suppose it's fine if you travel in a area where you can leave a long gun in the front seat. But I keep mine in the suitcase in the back seat, where I would have to fight my way to it with my CCW. And I'm okay with that, because it's reserved for the most extraordinary situations.

As for being able to fire a rifle from the driver's seat- that's why I have my CCW.

As for running afoul of state laws, I restrict most of my travel to the Southeast, and I follow the law. I suppose it's possible I will run into a cop that doesn't know the law. But it hasn't happened in the 17 years I've been traveling for work.

Last edited:
Back