Old guys do you buy guns based on what you had in the past?

I will admit to re-purchasing any number of things I owned at an earlier age (not limited to guns).
I do a lot of research before I buy any gun. I have kept the overwhelming majority of everything I have ever bought. I guess I don't fall prey to the "gee-whiz" factor too much, and stick with my acquisition plan.
You are either still young, or you never bought much in your life. :) In the last 20 years I have owned probably 100 guns. I could never have afforded to buy most of them unless I followed the "buy one, sell one" plan. I kept those that I liked at the time, sold some and bought others.
Now, if you want to talk cars.........I'd love to have my old 69 Roadrunner or my 67 Chevelle SS back.
I hear you. In my case, it was my 66 Corvette and 69 Chevelle SS, although I could name a few others...and at least a dozen motorcycles (of the nearly 80 I've owned). And I wouldn't mind your 67 Chevelle (esp. if it was a big block) or your 69 Road Runner either. :)

Oh well, neither my garage or my bank account would allow me to own all of them at once, let alone forever. I am thankful that I got to experience each for a while.

I call myself a serial owner, and I still buy one, sell one...although my turnover has slowed down quite a bit.

Life is short, death is forever. Enjoy.

At age 68, I like old guns, vintage guns, antique guns, new guns, Tupperware guns, all steel guns, blued guns, stainless steel guns, wheelguns, semiauto guns, lever guns, double guns, single barrel guns, long guns, handguns, foreign guns, American guns, mouseguns, compact guns, full size guns, plain guns, fancy guns, BBQ guns, truck guns,.....and most of all, guns that go bang every time I pull the trigger (antiques not necessarily included).

:)

I've replaced guns I had as a kid,,,

I've replaced guns I had as a kid/young adult,,,
Certainly not all of them,,,
But some.

When I decided to get back into shooting,,,
The first rifle I bought was an H&R Sportster in .22 LR.

I remember a friend having one when I was a kid,,,
I always liked shooting it because of the break-open action,,,
So when I was looking for that first rifle to restart my shooting habit,,,
That was one that popped into my mind so I ordered a brand new one right off.

The first revolver I bought was also a nostalgia purchase,,,
In the USAF (70-78) I carried a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece,,,
That was my first handgun purchase and is still my personal favorite handgun.

I also bought a few guns I wanted when I was young,,,
But never had the money to buy for myself.

So far they have all been worthwhile purchases,,,
The only ones I didn't keep were the black powder revolvers,,,
I found the nostalgic factor was completely outshone by the high maintenance factor.

Aarond

I was 21 years old the first time I ever fired a gun - and it was one I bought myself. I still have it, and every gun I subsequently purchased.

This is it here. . .

Python_zps5f79d27a.jpg

Welp, as I said I have been looking for a Mossberg 352 for a long time now. I went into a gun show today and found a 152. OK price, so I told him I'd probably be back, as the 152 I find even nicer than the 352, because the fold-down forend is wood like the stock. There was only one rifle that could sway me from that 152 today, and unfortunately, another guy had that one too. Now I've got it and couldn't be happier.;) Not a handgun, as all the handguns I had early, I still have, other than the ones I truly did not want.

DSC_0243_zpsffe5791e.jpg

Last edited:
(quote) armybrat
At age 68, I like old guns, vintage guns, antique guns, new guns, Tupperware guns, all steel guns, blued guns, stainless steel guns, wheelguns, semiauto guns, lever guns, double guns, single barrel guns, long guns, handguns, foreign guns, American guns, mouseguns, compact guns, full size guns, plain guns, fancy guns, BBQ guns, truck guns,.....and most of all, guns that go bang every time I pull the trigger (antiques not necessarily included).

Why do you want to limit yourself like this?? :D

I've always had 1911s and revolvers.

That's what I keep buying, new and vintage 1911s, and vintage revolvers because most new revolvers suck.

Now 66, and in handguns it's not "what I had", but rather what I wanted years back. Filled a long time desire for a T/C Contender. Most other long time wants have been met, but if a Mauser HSc 380 would pop up at the right time, for the right price I'd have to but it

I am looking for a replacement for my long gone first shotgun. A Stevens 59a in .410. Also my second scatter gun, again by stevens. A 16 ga 311 side by side.

I guess i am an OLD GUY. 62, but this question is not a problem for me. I have sold only ONE gun ever. It was Hawes single action in 357 . It had a broken sear which made your thumb the trigger. Todays motto

GUNS SHOULD BE BOUGHT, NEVER SOLD.

More or less, yes.

As has been mentioned, I stick with what I know and what serves the purposes I feel important. Consequently, Government Models and (old style) Smith & Wesson revolvers still work for me as well as they did when I barely knew which end was the butt.

I'm 63 and getting ready for 64. I've carried a gun - one way or another - most of my natural life (and all of my unnatural one.) My 'use' guns are pretty much what I've always known, my collecting guns are all older issued things with some history on them.

There are very few new guns that impress me as doing something better, faster, deeper, harder, cheaper and more often than the old ones.

And if God had wanted semi-automatic pistols to be double-action or plastic, He's have had John Moses Browning design it that way in the first place!

Tejicano,

You brought back pleasant memories that I do think of from time to time.

Here's how far back I go.....I googled pictures of "Johnny Eagle" plastic toy guns from back in the mid-1960's!

I've had to sell lots of my guns when I was younger once I had children and until they were thru with college. I regret selling my Ruger .22 Standard
and my 1st GP-100. Not really so much brand loyal to Ruger, but I liked them two.

My first revolver was a 6" .357 Llama Comanchee. It rattled like a box of M&Ms (not bag) and you could count on a lead shower every time you shot it because it spit so bad. Really poor timing. So if I could remember the day I sold that gun, I'd celebrate that day every year! :D I still feel a little guilty for selling it to anyone....

Fun thread!

I am 71 and I can tell that I have slowed down a lot. I still buy new guns when they catch my attention.

The older ones that I have all bring back some really special memories and sometimes I find myself looking for guns that I gave away years ago or traded. I really regret trading off a Colt Sports Woodsman and I gave a Belgian Browning Challenger to my favorite uncle. I gave a Browning Sweet 16 to a cousin of mine because I knew I would never hunt quail again. It had belonged to my Dad. I know it is in really good hands so I don't feel any angst over it. Those guns were all in excellent shape and giving them to family means more to me than selling to a stranger.

I understand, but

For me, no.
I don't care.

I have little emotional attachment, but I admire MY keepers for the tools they are.
Good ones.....

I think I'm old enough to comment.

I am 57 and I acquire not what I had when I was younger, but what I longed for back then. I now have the means so the WW II 1911 I always wanted I now have along with the others, like Python, etc. it is great to have the means now but sucks that my time to enjoy them grows shorter each passing day.

For the most part, I think many of the guns made in the past were higher quality made with more premium materials. I don't know if that makes me nostalgic or practical when I look back on those older pistols I've owned as being better "keepers" than the stuff you can buy today.

I think some of the current guns that are based on older patterns and materials are pretty neato - like some of the stuff coming out of Turkey right now.

Absolutely. When I was a kid and a young man rifles and shotguns had wood stocks. Handguns had wood grips and were made of steel and were SA or DA/SA. This is probably why I have never developed a real appreciation of composite stocks, polymer frames or striker fired guns. I try to like them, but they just don't do it for me. Maybe if I had been born 20 years later I might even like Glocks!:D

Well, ONCE, a few weeks ago... In 1973 I bought a Browning Medalist because I got to shoot one in 1965 and loved it. I shot it less and less and it became a "safe queen". In 1988 I sold quite a few guns that were "safe queens" to finance a boat purchase, the Medalist was one. Spin the clock forward and my son kept criticizing that sale (the Medalist and a Series 70 Gold Cup, he was fine with the rest...). So, a few weeks ago I replaced it by giving my son a bunch of computer equipment to trade to a guy for a Medalist. So, I sort of did the rerun nostalgia thing...

I do not so much want to replace guns I used to have before but get the guns I could not afford.

As there are so many more guns available today, compared to 40 years ago, I am also not overlooking newer guns.

The SIG Sauer X series come to my mind.

Back