Old guys do you buy guns based on what you had in the past?

Only one that I ever wanted to replace was my AR, which I did with a carbine length one. all the rest no, I am much more happy with the ones I have than I had.

Jim

At 60, I guess that qualifies me as "old" . . . at least to someone younger than me. :D

Actually, I never owned a "cartridge handgun" until a few years ago as I shot BP for 50 years - I have owned a few cap and ball revolvers over the years.

Actually, at where I am in life right now, I seem to be more interested in "vintage" cartridge revolvers. For me, it's not a case of "replacing" what i may have had in the past and let go . . . it's a case of getting something that I've wanted for a long time but never got around to getting. Life is too short and I have decided that the "present" is the best the to do those things . . . we never know what tomorrow holds for us.

I used to have a LOT of long guns - I promised my wife I would "downsize" and I did over a couple of years . . but then I got interest in shooting cartridge handguns . . . so now i have around a dozen.

In fact . . . I've always wanted a S & W J frame - I found one today - a Model 36 snubbie in pristine shape. Soooooo . . . it followed me home. Cute little thing and it will probably become my new carry.

I have always been interested in reloading . . . just never done it. I decided with the price of 38 spls. (my favorite cartridge) that I would start. My press arrived today int he mail . . . so I figure that I had a good day today!

To me . . . . the "hunt" is almost as much fun as the "finding". I have a "bucket list" . . . . a Smith 36 J frame with a 3" barrel, a nice Model 10 and perhaps several other Smith models. At some point, I'll find 'em.

If you have a hankering to buy something you had as kid . . . I say "go for it". Don't put it off . . . enjoy it while you can and have fun. And in that fun . . . I hope you run across a young person who has an interest in shooting that you can take under your wing and gun safety and shooting to so that they will have the same type of memories that you do. :)

Have to say I like them all but yes I do go back, did today >>>>>>
S&W 5906
IMG_20130918_175412_0.jpg

Let some one I love dearly talk me into selling mine to them 10 years ago and nothing has been the same, and that is many until now.

I've managed to hold on to all my firearms from my youth except a Remington 1100 20 ga.,I sold when I was 18 years old.
31 years later I still regret that sale,the good side I have added many arms since those youth days and have another Remington 1100 20 ga. :)

REvatella...lol I thought I was the only person to do that...lol. I also like accumulating various guns from TV and the movies from when I was a kid.

In my mid-50's so old by some descriptions but young by others.

I have never sold a gun although I've had a few stolen and gifted (sold cheap) one to a man I deeply respected just because he wanted it but couldn't afford the price.

I have most guns which I have always wanted - although that elusive Luger is still out there somewhere. I almost bought a 98% WWI Artillery Luger from a well known collector - back before the internet - we had been exchanging letters but he fell ill and the deal stagnated. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money any more.

I've been looking for a Mossberg 352, the rifle I learned on. Have seen a few, but never for the right price. I almost chucked the idea and bought a 151M that a guy had here at a gun show that looked brand new. Scope included. It was $200. I'm still kicking myself over that.:(

I don't do that with firearms, but I have done it with a BB gun that I had as a kid. The Daisy Model 25. I miss my old Benjamin .22 that replaced the Model 25 when it wore out, but my Sheridan Silver Streak fills that void.

I just made 40 years old, do I fit that category?

sf46, sorry but 40 is not old.;)

Back when I was 40 there was not a horse I wouldn't ride, I took life in fast steps and big strides.

Now 25 years later, I believe I've broke my last horse, the mare I have now, my steps are a little slower and my strides a little shorter.

However, I feel I'm far from done and I still long for and purchase gun's I wanted in my younger years.:)

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

When I was 12 years old I was caring a S&W K 22 in the sheep camps. At 17 I up graded to a A Ruger 357 Blackhawk. Presently a Ruger 45 lc is my choose for a carry gun in the woods.

Though I will never live like I did as a young man, I can't stop looking on guns as I did when I was young. I guess this is just an old man trying to relive the past. :D

I guess this is just an old man trying to relive the past.

One of the pleasures of a long life well lived is that you got to enjoy the experiences as they occurred and then you can continue to enjoy the memories for years afterwards. :)

What I really wanted as a kid wasn't available until recently. I wanted Josh Randall's Mare's Leg - now I have it! Only one I actually regret getting rid of is my Ruger Single Six Bicentennial, otherwise I kept what I really wanted.

I suppose I qualify, 68 years young. Got a really nice model 15 last year. I also have a J.C Higgins (High Standard) like my dad had. I'd love to replace a Woodsman Match Target that was stolen from me. I still shoot revolvers and 1911 pistols. A few years ago I bought an old 870 TC grade trap gun. It seems the old stuff was better than what they make today.

Well, kinda...

More than a few years ago - like 1958 - I enlisted in the Navy. For whatever reason (mostly youthful stupidity), I sold the guns I owned for a ridiculous price. These included, among others, an early Ruger Single Six in .22/.22 Mag and a lovely Winchester 62 gallery gun. I have long since replaced the Ruger but am still looking for a true gallery gun. While looking, I seem to have collected a number of other firearms. This time, I don't think I'll be selling...

Getting old sucks
Beats the hell out of the alternative, pushin up daisy's:eek:

I just buy when money permits what tickles me fancy at the time. I have most of what I purchased in my younger days. Only one I would like to replace but is not a "must have" is a S&W model 29

Not Exactly. Uncle Sam bought guns for me when I was young. The only thing similar I have bought is an original of Colt M1911 and a Remington R1. I don't have any M-14' s, M16's, M-60 or any of the ole recoiless rifles.

All of the rest of my personal accumulation is far different than anything the military loaned me.

sheepman said:
Getting old sucks :D

It does. I think the great Bette Davis said it best," Getting old is not for sissies". :cool:

As to guns,I've always wanted to replace the Winchester .22LR,that my Granddad, on his Sussex,New Jersey farm,gave me to hunt down groundhogs in the summer of 1953 when I was 11.

He had lost several cows to broken legs because of these pesty critters.
60 long years have passed. It's now or never. Time to start looking.;)

Back