Old guys do you buy guns based on what you had in the past?

Old guys do you buy guns based on what you had in the past?

sheepman,

Everyone buys things based on what they KNOW. It's the only way you can make decisions.

Older people tend to have more experience and they find all the newer fancy doodads are just that, doodads.

Younger people tend to, well not have the database (called experience) to make these decisions wisely.

Deaf

Changing of the guard

About six years ago I sold most of my guns... Funny what I kept: a Remington 870 express and a Gamo pellet gun.

Sold included a bunch of nice revolvers and semi-auto pistols, and an un-fired colt sported with a low number.

Know what? I have had a blast making a new collection! I like the new one a lot better than the old one!

I guess the dream guns of 25 years ago are different than the dreams I have now.

Getting old sucks .

Yup.

But until senility sets in (which might be in a couple of weeks…) I think gun guys and gals are always on the lookout and willing to give a sniff to new stuff that might actually be useful and fill a need. Take the high capacity, point and shoot, Glock. The fact that it feels like a hunk of 2x4 in your hand and is so ugly you want to put a brown paper bag over it while you shoot it doesn’t blind us to the real innovations it has brought to the table.

I think what us old guys are really nostalgic for are the PRICES of the guns of our youth. You know where you had your choice of a Colt Python or an S&W Model 27 for under $300 or a Woodsman or High Standard .22 LR for way under $200. I think the original Ruger Mark I sold for under $100. We just conveniently forget that a lot of us made less than $100 a week back then.

Here, here on nostalgia for the PRICES of my youth! And that we bought guns at Sears, hardware stores, and MAIL-ORDER

I have the Ruger Standard 6" that my Dad bought through mail-order directly from Ruger for $25. I used to examine the Ruger mail-order catalogue in great detail and drool over the .44 mag Blackhawks for $75 or $125? I think it was.

I am mostly interested in modern firearms like the Glock, Sako A7, and AR15. But I do have a few Garands and M1 Carbines because my Dad served in WWII. And I will someday get a SA six shooter because I watched TV in Western heyday. :) And I want to get a lever gun like my Grandad's 1916 Win 1894 .30 WCF.

But some older designs I like just because they are so well proven, such as the 1911 and S&W revolvers.

Of course. A few years ago I started buying guns that I had when young or wanted when young and never got. Some were sold as I realized why I disposed of them in the first place. A couple are still hanging around.

Sometimes.
Once upon a time, many years ago I was Issued an L1A1 SLR in the UK & I hated the bloody thing! It had so many stopages we numbered them:eek:
Thein I was at a gun show & bought a metric FAL.
It didn't jam.
Hmmm..........

I bought a NIW Lee Enfield #4 Mk2 because I always wanted one that was MINE! All MINE!
Thats about it though.

Everyone assumes I have a Browning P35 hidden somewhere, but I dont, I never liked the thing with that horrible trigger pull & the "I don't WANNA release the magazine" feature.:D

I'm not that old @ 48...
But absolutely!
It's more of what was in my Fathers collection that I had early access to shoot so those guns are near and dear to me.
Sadly he sold off many during rough times but kept a few.
I also have been stupid and have let a few slip out of my possession.
To replace them all is not in my means at the moment but the short list is..

SW 38/44 heavy duty
SW K-38 combat masterpiece
SW K-22
SW Highway Patrolman 357

Remington Rand GI WW2 45

Colt Officer Model Match 38
Colt Officer Model Match 22
Colt Official Police 38
Colt Trooper 357

I love the guns..but the memories are what I cherish the most

I'm quite close to being an official old guy.
Yes, nostalgia is part of it for me.
I got a 308 this year, bolt action. I had to go back to the old bolt action days.
Something about the feel of taking a shot, rolling the bolt up, then back. And loading another.
But I like to look into new things, as well, and to go back to the past to turn over a stone that I didn't turn over at the time.
Like Glock.
Maybe some day I will own my very own Glock.
But I doubt it.
dc

I assume the OP is not talking about me when he says "old guy", but at 56 I can concede that I may get there one day. But yes, there are still a few I want because I had them at one time. so if any of you young guys have a S&W 58 or a 6"S&W 28, I will buy them now and sell them back to you when you get older.

David

Getting old sucks .

Hey, getting old ain't for wimps. But it sure beats the alternative. ;)

Personally, I don't buy current firearms based on past ownership. I get a somewhat random urge or "need" for something, then take my time waiting for a good (or acceptable) price before buying.

Well I'm not old...

I did go back and buy one that "got away"...

5515620262_95b3aca109.jpg

But as a rule I've kept the ones I wanted.

I'm in my 40's now, and in a gun forum, I'm probably not all that "old." But I consider how long I've been buying, owning & loving guns, and also consider that I'm not a "gamer" and don't tend to be swayed by guns from video games or movies, I figured I might be part of the target audience. :p

I think you need to define what you mean by old guys. I just made 40 years old, do I fit that category? I personally own and continue to buy any and all types of guns based on whatever strikes my fancy when I'm looking to buy another gun.

If anything I've been buying the ones I WANTED when I was younger. I about wore a copy of "The Shooters Bible" out wishing..."I want that one...and that one...and one of those.

Most of them I've bought shot a few times, fondled a lot, then sold off to someone else who'll enjoy it more than I did.

There is one I tell myself I'm looking for. My first handgun was a Model 19 S&W. I made a mark on the gun to mark it as mine. The mark is under the grips. Lately I've found myself pulling the grips on every Model 19 I see. What I'll do if I find it, I'm not sure... :D

The only gun I ever sold that I don't wish I still had was the piece of dung Tech-9 I got back around 1980 and sold within a month.

Not me

I have never sold any gun and still have the ones I bought when I was 17 (I am now 59)

So I want new stuff

Snake

Back