Old guys do you buy guns based on what you had in the past?

sheepman

At 67 I find my self wanting to replace guns tat I had as a Kid. My first handgun was a S&W k 22. Later at 17 I got a Ruger 357 Blackhawk. A Colt Python was always a desire but when I got one it was soon traded. In the last 30 years there has been a lot of handguns go through my hands.

Presently am happy with Glock 21, Sig 2022 40S&W Walther P99 9m QA for autos and S&W 66, Charter 44 SP and Ruger Single Six. There has been about 200 handguns pas through my hands in the last 30 years.

Have enjoyed having 1911s of all different calibers. The only handgun that I have wanted but never had is a Luger, maybe some day.

A lot of the magnum and heavy recoiling handguns that I had, now hurt my hand to shoot. 22 and 32 are now more attractive than they used to be.

Getting old sucks . :D

Yes, getting old does suck. There are a couple of rifles from long ago that I would like to replace, but the only handguns I had were either old and beat up or very cheap.

I pretty much still like the same ones as before.
Unless one comes along that does something outstandingly better, there's not much reason to replace anything.
A good one is a good one.

I'm not too nastalgic about guns. I've pretty much modernized my whole collection except for a few. More sentimental value than anything.

Now, if you want to talk cars.........I'd love to have my old 69 Roadrunner or my 67 Chevelle SS back.

I do a lot of research before I buy any gun. I have kept the overwhelming majority of everything I have ever bought. I guess I don't fall prey to the "gee-whiz" factor too much, and stick with my acquisition plan.

Although not old, I did have to buy a Python because of the one I shot as a youth. I've not had the urge to replace anything I've bought and sold as an adult.

Not really in that I still have everything I've ever had ;). However, I find that as I grow older my interest in historical firearms (most recently, for example, the Colt Walker 1847) does likewise.

Not so much on guns I've already owned, more like guns I wanted for a very long time but never bought. For instance my two most recent purchases were an early .44spl Bulldog 3" and a Colt police positive special .32-20.

Yep, this is a common theme (read discussion point) in our family. At 67, I don't need another gun (hell, I probably shouldn't be buying ripe bananas!), but that said, I have a fondness for those guns that I couldn't afford when I was young. Winchesters of the Model 61 or 62 type, Marlins of most any caliber or action type, Colt 1911's, Diamondbacks, National Match '03 Springfields...you get the idea, and I predict that you'll do the same when your in your autumn years.

I find now, that I just don't have the time left to thoroughly explore those interesting calibers and action types that eluded me in my youth. .218 Bee's, .32-20's, 25-20's, .44-40's in rifle and revolver combinations. Just not enough time left to check 'em out. You younger guys will have to do the exploring.

Now, I'm interested in tramping the long meadows, reliving my youth hunting woodchucks in the hills south of Buffalo, NY. Farmers then (the early 60's) paid a $.50 premium on each chuck tail I'd bring in...saved their dairy cows some broken legs I figured.

But more now, it's the time in the fields that remind me of my boyhood...the sights and smells of autumn, golden rod in bloom, and the apple trees heavy with ripe fruit...ah to do it all again....

Savor your time on this most wonderful planet my friends...for Heaven is really our time on earth....and bring along a young'en to help you find the way home.

Best Regards and keep your powder dry....Rod

I like the ones that worked well, shot well, were easy to maintain, and, now that ammo is getting outrageous, I like the ones that are economical to shoot as far as plinking goes.

Good title. My first handun at 18 was a Ruger Mark I. Had alot of fun with it until I let the big boys sway me to think the real fun was the bigger calibers with a bigger cost to shot. Now I'm loosing some strength in my hands so I sold some of the big toys and got a Ruger SR22 and all the .22lr ammo I can find and having fun again. But I still kept one .357 just in case.

Nope ... I love new guns, tho I still have the first gun I ever bought. Aside from that .. and a Smith .22 semi to replace one I had long ago ... just bought a Ruger LCR 22mag and a few months ago a Springer XDs .45 ... I love nostalgia, but modern weapons are just more interesting to me .. I'm 68, by the way ...

I found I was having a hard time keeping the muzzle down on harder recoiling guns ... I got a Gripmaster, been using it and a heavier successor for the past few years, I swear by it ... I can get back on target far faster and my accuracy is way up .. and ... I can open any jar my wife can bring home from the store ... she's always impressed ... :cool:

I was poor as a kid, now I'm not, so I'm buying now, what I wanted then.
Dang I wanted a lot back then.

Yeah, getting old sucks, but it beats the hell out of not getting old.

It is nice, having the kids grown and gone, a more stable cash flow, and the ability to help others. Right now, when I buy a gun, it's normally for a grandkid. I've been giving away more guns lately than I've been buying.

For example, last year two grandsons, who both are left handed, got southpaw bolt rifles for Christmas. This year, another grandson is getting an old bolt rifle that I don't shoot much anymore. That old rifle is a 1983 model Rem 700 ADL in .308 Win with a Leupold scope. I think he'll like it.

Not really, as I have kept my older firearms clean and pristine. My first purchase as a 24 y/o was a High Standard Sport King with walnut grips I added soon after. It still looks pretty much the same as it is today at 64 y/o. The same is true with my Savage Fox B 20 gauge side-by-side. There's no need to restock if they are continually cared for.

Many have the need to sell off their firearm or trade based on need or want. I simply have not sold or traded any of my firearms...only added to them out of want. Have passed a couple to my two Eagle Scout sons which they enjoy.

NRA Certified Instructor Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
Wildlife & Fisheries Hunter Safety Instructor

Last edited:
I never have felt I had to replace anything. I kept all the ones I really liked.
As James K said, mine is the same answer.

However, I did recently kind of do the nostalgia thing in that I found a Six inch, nickel, Hand Ejector M&P, 1905, Fourth Change that is very, very much like my Grandfather's revolver (which I choose to shoot no more) so that I could replicate the "feel" and experience of the older S&W revolvers.

Oddly enough, on the same day at the same show, I found & instantly fell in love with a 1952 Colt Challenger (budget model in the Woodsman line) that is the spittin' image of my Father's pistol... that my Mother now has... that my older brother will one day be getting.

And the Woodsman pistols are so fantastic that I just found a '55 Huntsman that seems to be ultra-clean and I'm waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. I chased this one because it's got the longer 6-inch target barrel. Can't wait! :D

Back