Obama's true color and Rev. Wright

What exactly IS a typical white person? Enlighten us.

Refers to a comment Obama made last week. Remember how he said that his white grandmother cringes around black people? A radio show host asked him to clarify. Obama said that his grandmother's reaction did not mean she was a racist, just that she's a "typical white person."

As in... the typical white reaction of typical white people around black people is apprehension. Lock the doors. Hide the jewelry. Get the shotgun.

As in... confirmation (coupled with Michelle saying she's finally proud to be an American) that Obama did take in some of the Wright stuff. How much is anybody's guess.

Where O where is the reverend anyway? We're talking Chicago politics here. I'm beginning to wonder if the good reverend found out what they did with Jimmy Hoffa.

Where O where is the reverend anyway? We're talking Chicago politics here. I'm beginning to wonder if the good reverend found out what they did with Jimmy Hoffa.

Here is the inside scoop. Rev. Wright's supporters are still trying to make the case that there are no problems with what he said. You know, we should all understand and give him a break for GDing America, etc. So, they put him in hiding so he does not make anymore good/understandable/justifiable remarks that his supporters have to then defend.:D

This is with out a doubt the most fun political year ever.:cool:

Yep, as soon as the tapes came out he apparently went on a vacation trip to Africa. Looks like it will last at least until November 3rd. Assuming he isn't swimming with the fishes.
If he is still alive over there I suspect he'll appreciate America a little more.

Na, he won't appreciate America more, he'll just be more bitter that we're not forced to send more money than we already are to various corrupt communist hellhole thugocracies over there.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/0...builds-a-multimillion-dollar-retirement-home/

Now what was that line Wright had about rich white folks? Looks like talking them down is one thing, and living with them is another.:D

I think the following belongs under....you've got to be kidding heading.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/0...ve-left-his-church-if-wright-had-not-retired/

“Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I would’t have felt comfortable staying at the church,” Obama said Thursday during a taping of the ABC talk show, “The View.” The interview will be broadcast Friday.

Lets see. If Rev. Wright had continued to preach his hate for America for 20 years plus a few days, then Sen. Obama would have left the church. I guess up to 20 years he was just getting ready to leave!

Rich White American, huh?

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/0...builds-a-multimillion-dollar-retirement-home/

This was supposed to be the week that the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. returned to the pulpit to preach for the first time since his anti-American sermons generated nationwide outrage and drew condemnation from his longtime parishioner, Barack Obama.

But, citing security concerns, Wright canceled his speaking engagements in Florida and Texas. A spokeswoman at his former church in Chicago said his schedule is pending.

A two-week FOX News investigation, however, has uncovered where Wright will be spending a good deal of his time in retirement, and it is a far cry from the impoverished Chicago streets where the preacher led his ministry for 36 years.

FOX News has uncovered documents that indicate Wright is about to move to a 10,340-square-foot, four-bedroom home in suburban Chicago, currently under construction in a gated community.

While it is not uncommon for an accomplished clergyman to live in luxury, Wright’s retirement residence is raising some questions.

“Some people think deals like this are hypocritical. Jeremiah Wright himself criticizes people from the pulpit for middle classism, for too much materialism,” said Andrew Walsh, Associate Director of the Leonard E. Greenberg Center for the Study of Religion in Public Life with Trinity College in Hartford, Conn.

“So he’s entitled to be tweaked here. So the question really is, how unusual is this? Somewhat unusual,” he said.

According to documents obtained from the Cook County Register of Deeds, Wright purchased two empty lots in Tinley Park, Ill., from Chicago restaurant chain owner Kenny Lewis for $345,000 in 2004.

Documents show Wright sold the property to his church, Trinity United, in December 2006, with the proceeds going to a living trust shared with his wife, Ramah.

The sale price for the land was just under $308,000, about $40,000 less than Wright’s original purchase two years earlier.

Public records of the sale show Trinity initially obtained a $10 million bank loan to purchase the property and build a new house on the land.

But further investigation with tax and real estate attorneys showed that the church had actually secured a $1.6 million mortgage for the home purchase, and attached a $10 million line of credit, for reasons unspecified in the paperwork.

There is apparently nothing wrong with that, according to non-profit tax expert Jack Siegel of Charity Governance Consulting, who examined public documents FOX News obtained from the Cook County Register of Deeds and the Village of Tinley Park.

“At least looking at it from a public document standpoint, there’s clearly not a problem that jumps out or some sort of wrongdoing,” Siegel said.

Siegel characterizes the transaction as unusual, however, because of the way Wright sold the property to Trinity and the way the deal was financed, with the attached $10 million line of credit.

Because churches are classified as private businesses, Trinity isn’t required to reveal its intended use for the line of credit. Nor, because it’s a non-profit entity, is it required to provide that information to the IRS.

A spokesman for ShoreBank, the Chicago-based financial institution that secured mortgages for the loans, said the deals were aboveboard.

Wright did not respond to repeated calls for comment, and Trinity United refused to discuss the specifics of the home it is building for him and the way the deal was financed.

The church referred FOX News to its denominational headquarters in Cleveland, which provided a statement of support:

“It is customary and appropriate in many Christian denominations, including the United Church of Christ, for local churches to offer housing provisions for retiring clergy, especially in cases where pastors have served long-term pastorates. We support efforts by our 5,700 local churches to ensure that retiring pastors and spouses have continuing housing, adequate pension and health care, as an expression of our continuing appreciation for their years of service. Each local UCC congregation is free to honor a retiring pastor in ways it feels most appropriate to address the needs of that clergyperson’s circumstances,” wrote the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, spokesman for UCC’s national office.

“This is about how these kinds of churches work,” notes Walsh. “These pastors who made big successful churches are real valuable commodities. Is it morally wrong? Well, Protestants don’t have the idea that their religious leaders should live modestly or aesthetically. We’re not talking Buddhist monks or Catholic priests here. There’s no tradition that says they have to live poor.”

Tradition at Trinity United centers on a congregation that’s unashamedly black and unapologetically Christian, according to the church’s website. There are also no apologies from the church for the home it’s building for its former senior pastor, who nurtured a religious empire that grew to have more than 8,000 congregants.

Gotta love the double-standard!!!:rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/28/obama.pastor/index.html

Now we have this stuff in his written church bulletins. No wonder Wright thought Farrakhan was an inspiring figure.

One of the church bulletins that came to the fore Thursday, from July 22, 2007, includes an article by Mousa Abu Marzook, deputy of the political bureau of Hamas. "Why should anyone concede Israel's 'right' to exist?" he wrote.

Another bulletin, from June 10, 2007, contains on the "Pastor's Page" an "Open Letter to Oprah" by Ali Baghdadi, an Arab-American activist. He refers to "Israeli death squads" in a letter urging Oprah Winfrey to explore Palestinian suffering on a trip to the Middle East.

"Arnold Toynbee, the world-renowned historian, stated that what the Zionist Jews did to the Palestinians is worse than what the Nazis did to the Jews, because, as he stated, Jews should have learned from their tragic experience," Baghdadi wrote.

You can talk until the cows come home, but when you associate yourself with a church that holds these views, then it's because it agrees with your own personal views. Well at least until you decide to run for President and then realize these views don't attack the votes you need.

Now we have this stuff in his written church bulletins. No wonder Wright thought Farrakhan was an inspiring figure.

Next thing we will hear from their camp is how Obama wasn't in that Sunday service with that bulletin, but that he was curing cancer in some hospital somewhere...truly disgusting. I wish more people would wake up to this.

Amazing how silent some of these members of TFL who supported Obama are now. :D

Gotta love the double-standard!!!

Totally! Why won't black people learn that they are not allowed to live in expensive houses. [This is sarcasm, which sadly I need to indicate]

I am seeing more and more a parallel between wright and Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell.

Let me get this straight guys....

It's ok to bash American policy and tolerance of gays as the reason why 9/11 occurred. (see the sept 14, 2001 broadcast of Pat Robertson WITH Jerry Falwell on the 500 club)
It's not ok to bash Israel policy regarding methods of dealing with their enemies. (in a church bulletin)

interesting. Yep, there IS a double standard.

I have long despised Falwell and Robertson for such statements. I also despise Wright for his statements. I see no hypocrisy on my part but can see it from others who cling to one and rage against the other.

On the topic of Wright and Obama...

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/0...ve-left-his-church-if-wright-had-not-retired/

WASHINGTON — White House hopeful Barack Obama suggests he would have left his Chicago church had his longtime pastor, whose fiery anti-American comments about U.S. foreign policy and race relations threatened Obama’s campaign, not stepped down.

“Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn’t have felt comfortable staying at the church,” Obama said Thursday during a taping of the ABC talk show, “The View.” The interview will be broadcast Friday.

In his sermons over the years, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright has railed against the United States and accused it of bringing on the Sept. 11 attacks by spreading terrorism. He also has said the government invented AIDS to destroy “people of color” and has shouted “God damn America” for its treatment of minorities.

Videos of his remarks circulated on the Internet and on television.

In an attempt to quiet the controversy, Obama gave a speech last week in which he sharply condemned Wright’s remarks but did not repudiate him.

Obama said Wednesday he has spoken with Wright, who retired from Trinity United Church of Christ last month but remains as a senior pastor.

Hillary Rodham Clinton, Obama’s rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, broke her silence on the matter Tuesday, saying she would have parted company with a pastor who spoke about the country the way Wright has.

Further evidence that these rantings only became a problem for Obama when they had the potential to cost him votes. If that is not the case, and such statements would have caused Obama to leave the Church then why not do so 20, 10, 5 or even 1 year ago?

For whatever it's worth, I don't remember that Falwell and Robertson were declared to be the "moral compass" and "spiritual leader" of any one particular candidate or national politician.

One of the church bulletins that came to the fore Thursday, from July 22, 2007, includes an article by Mousa Abu Marzook, deputy of the political bureau of Hamas. "Why should anyone concede Israel's 'right' to exist?" he wrote.

This Mousa Abu Marzook guy is really the type you want in your church bulletins?

http://www.investigativeproject.org/profile/106

While living in Jordan, Marzook is suspected of having played a significant role in planning and coordinating numerous terrorist attacks within Israel.[5] On July 25, 1995 after his expulsion from Jordan, Marzook was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, where he was detained by authorities until being returned to Jordan in 1997.[6] Following a nationwide crackdown on HAMAS activities within the country, he was once again deported by Jordanian authorities in 1999.[7]

It's ok to bash American policy and tolerance of gays as the reason why 9/11 occurred. (see the sept 14, 2001 broadcast of Pat Robertson WITH Jerry Falwell on the 500 club)
It's not ok to bash Israel policy regarding methods of dealing with their enemies. (in a church bulletin)

I was waiting for someone to bring this up...thanks SecDef...

First, name one of the candidates, past or current Presidents, or any political figure who gives any weight to what Robertson and Falwell say AND has a chance at becoming the NEXT PRESIDENT? Were their statements wrong, of course they were, but double standard??? Nah, not at all. I don't care what Wright said either, I find it hateful and disgusting, but its his choice to say what he will, what IS disturbing is Obama's name written all over it.

Second, I don't remember Falwell OR Robertson ever aligning themselves with any terrorist organizations or members of those organizations...see Mousa Abu Marzook for clarification.

Lastly, both incidents are gravely bad, but Wright and Obama's connection are so overwhelmingly disturbing that instead of commenting on it, you say this...
Why won't black people learn that they are not allowed to live in expensive houses.

Cmon now, please reread what was posted, no one suggested that, only that if you are going to blame white and middle class America from the pulpit, but then go home to a huge house in Chicago, little contradictory isn't it?

Let me get this straight guys....

interesting. Yep, there IS a double standard.
No, there ISN"T because your analogy is flawed. First of all, Falwell apologized for making the comment and it was about what he saw as God's retribution against US morality. How that compares to someone cursing his government with various conspiracy theories while condemning it majority population is beyond me.
And printing terrorist's hate filled racist propaganda is just criticizing Israel's policies? Wow.

Yeah, you really missed the point. The point is that Obama chose to stay in a church that was spewing this garbage. All kinds of other religious leaders may or may not say inappropriate things, but it's whether you chose to participate in a Church with this views, not that the views exist.

What Robertson or Falwell say does not rub off on me unless I show by association that I subscribe to their views.

Lastly, both incidents are gravely bad, but Wright and Obama's connection are so overwhelmingly disturbing that instead of commenting on it, you say this...

Agreed. It's all about Obama's connection to Wright's views that is disturbing.

There was an apology.. oh. But outright denouncement means nothing.

I'm willing to bet perfectly good money that over the last 20 years Obama heard a lot of bad things coming out of the pulpit. I bet he heard about 20 times more good things. Even the bad things weren't (and aren't) subversive. This isn't a "we need to overthrow the government" but a "we can't trust them, they have no idea what it is like to be in our position, we need to help ourselves" (this from the only exposure I have to wright's sermons which are the recent ones posted)

Now, it isn't hypocrisy to only recently vocally denounce statements made. There was no need to prior to the presidential candidate spotlight. As to whether Obama should have "voted with his feet" and not been a member of the congregation years ago, there obviously needs to be more information about how long and to what extent such comments were made. I don't know how y'all think you can judge the pro's and cons of being part of a church based on statements that were rejected outright by Obama.

Above all, it seems forgotten that Obama said he was a spiritual adviser. That's all. How to be closer to God. Seems Wright was quite able to do that. He's not part of the campaign.

I brought up Falwell/Robertson because I personally detest them. They spew such hatred. The statements they made were denounced by McCain.. Prior, in 2000, he went as far as to call them "agents of intolerance". He said that "he doesn't pander to them" transcript from CNN. But guess what, I don't have a problem with him going to Robertson's university to talk, I don't have a problem with courting the likes of Rev. Hagee. (clearly pandering) Because it DOESN'T MATTER.

As for anti-Israel statements:
"Mr. Obama went on to explain Mr. Wright's anti-Zionist statements as being rooted in his anger over the Jewish state's support for South Africa under its previous policy of apartheid."

Yeah, you really missed the point. The point is that Obama chose to stay in a church that was spewing this garbage. All kinds of other religious leaders may or may not say inappropriate things, but it's whether you chose to participate in a Church with this views, not that the views exist.

How can you cast that stone? You have zero idea of how to weigh the positives offered versus the negatives. Heck, I would join that church just to keep in touch with what my community really feels.

Cmon now, please reread what was posted, no one suggested that, only that if you are going to blame white and middle class America from the pulpit, but then go home to a huge house in Chicago, little contradictory isn't it?
No, I don't think so. His congregation thinks he deserves it. Helping one of their own do better (in repayment for the good he has done over the years) is fine by me. I bet if Oprah tithed 10% EVERYONE could have a big house. ;)

Back