Obama's true color and Rev. Wright

This Mousa Abu Marzook guy is really the type you want in your church bulletins?

No idea. Did you know that Patrick Henry locked his wife in the basement for four years? Sometimes bad people have good things to say. It takes an intelligent mind to be able to glean what is and isn't good.

Is there something wrong with the text in the bulletin or just with the writer?

And you would know that.......how?
From Obama's speech that told me that. How do you know that it isn't?

Do you also "detest" the Rev. Wright?
I do not like all religious leaders. I detest those that say they have spoken to God. My limited exposure to Wright hasn't demonstrated that second feature causing detestation. I don't like him, though, if that's any consolation.

SecDef said:
I brought up Falwell/Robertson because I personally detest them. They spew such hatred.

followed by:

You have zero idea of how to weigh the positives offered versus the negatives. Heck, I would join that church just to keep in touch with what my community really feels.

It is obvious the standards of decency are far higher for Falwell/Robertson, and Wright's hatred is excused.

Now, it isn't hypocrisy to only recently vocally denounce statements made. There was no need to prior to the presidential candidate spotlight.

That is precisely why it IS hypocrisy.

The church gives an award to an anti-Semite, Louis Farrakhan, and publishes an article in the church bulletin denying Israel's right to exist, by another anti-Semite, Mousa Abu Marzook.

Do you see a pattern?

It is obvious the standards of decency are far higher for Falwell/Robertson, and Wright's hatred is excused.

I'm not excusing his hatred. I just don't think it is as bad as some are making it out to be, and I'm able to understand the basis for it. He has personal experience. The others in their gay bashing... seems like it is pretty arbitrary, I don't think they were beaten up by guys in pink short shorts or anything.

But yes, maybe I do have different standards for those talking to a congregation of thousands vs a congregation of millions. I'll think more on this.

The church gives an award to an anti-Semite, Louis Farrakhan, and publishes an article in the church bulletin denying Israel's right to exist, by another anti-Semite, Mousa Abu Marzook.

Do you see a pattern?

like I quoted already, maybe you missed it:
"Mr. Obama went on to explain Mr. Wright's anti-Zionist statements as being rooted in his anger over the Jewish state's support for South Africa under its previous policy of apartheid."

I guess Wright doesn't like Israel, huh? No idea if it is racist or not though. Same with the Jewish state's support of apartheid.. was that racist? These matters are not all black and white (pun intended.. what the heck)

madmag said:
This Mousa Abu Marzook guy is really the type you want in your church bulletins?

SecDef said:
No idea.....Sometimes bad people have good things to say.

If one despises Falwell, but cannot establish an opinion of Marzook, one risks not being taken seriously (or being viewed as a blind partisan).

While you are thinking about it -- consider that Wright petitions damnation for ALL of America -- which includes guys in pink shorts...

Sure, as long as you consider that Obama does not hold that opinion.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost," he told his congregation.

For those reasons, he said God Damn America. Which, if you are religious, would be at least consistent. Those are, apparently, damnable offenses.

If one despises Falwell, but cannot establish an opinion of Marzook, one risks not being taken seriously (or being viewed as a blind partisan).

I would have no problem with an article written by Falwell. He had quite a lot of good things to say. My entire point is that one can detest the messenger but not necessarily the message. I didn't say I couldn't establish an opinion of Marzook, just that the byline doesn't mean I would decry the article out of hand.

And in your opinion you believe that America should indeed be damned for those actions?

I am not certified to determine what is damnable or not. My personal opinion on this doesn't matter.

Why would you ask me that anyway? It wasn't these actions that were the cause of the damning, it was the "never batted an eye" part... I think you missed the point of what was quoted.

I am not certified to determine what is damnable or not. My personal opinion on this doesn't matter.

Why would you ask me that anyway?

Because it was you who said......"Those are, apparently, damnable offenses"

Either you believe they are, or they aren't. Which is it?

Because it was you who said......"Those are, apparently, damnable offenses"

Either you believe they are, or they aren't. Which is it?

I'll assume you meant the entire quote.

I used the word apparently, because apparently, according to someone that is a spiritual leader, they are. duh.

Either I believe they are or they aren't... no, that's a false dichotomy. I hold no view on the matter.

Sorry to confuse you.

You'd get the same reply from Mitt Romney though since he doesn't believe in damnation, if you knew about his religion.

SecDef, nice job of taking a position without taking a position. Are you a politician? The problem with the good reverend is that not only did he say G-D America, a land that has served him quite well btw, but his reasons for doing so is based on his own racism, intolerance and hate.
If you don't have a problem with that, so be it. But most folks do and Obama's association with him will always be a problem. I've never heard of a president that has a similar
association, he used him to get where he is. I've also never seen such political spin trying to avoid the obvious. It isn't just a few quotes in a otherwise long stellar career and the reverend has not apologized. Obama is a liar when he says so.

Originally Posted by madmag

73, if you look at my post #218 you will see that I had nothing good to say about Roberson or Falwell. Neither are my type of person. I did say that it's the association that's important. I have no association with Roberson or Falwell, but Obama does have an association with Wright....and that's the real issue.

Back