New Charter Arms Revolvers (aka the .45 Colt Bulldog thread)

The Black Spot said:
I was able to acquire one of these. Havent shot it yet though.
I plan to load some double ball and test those.
I will be very interested to read a report on how that goes. The idea grabbed my interest.

I ran some 235 gr powder coated wadcutters through it with 7.5 gr of unique to get the feel of it. I switched out the factory grips for pachmayr compacs, much better.
Groups hovered around an inch at 8 yds free hand.
Hope to test the double ball loads this week.

Tested the double ball loads using speer .457's(all i had). Loaded three rounds using a
.7 cc dipper of unique(@5.5-6grs). 8 yds got @7" group. Rbs were close together when hitting the target. Furthest apart was @1".
The rbs flattened out to about .45 cal when hitting dry phone books.
Running the rbs through a .452 sizer may prove more accurate.
I can email or text pics of target and rbs

.41 mag in a bulldog would be bad....donkey ...Would be a great heavy punch, light weight belt revolver. Could maybe scratch my itch for a smallish 44 special.

.41 mag in a bulldog would be bad....donkey ...Would be a great heavy punch, light weight belt revolver. Could maybe scratch my itch for a smallish 44 special.

I'd fear that the gun would "blow up" on account of even Buffalo Bore's warning against using their hot .44spl loads in the Bulldog.

Some more info:
So far wadcutters have been accurate with unique powder.
Gonna try some cast lyman 452423 swc's and run some rb's through a .452 sizer to try the double ball load again.
My cylinder throat ran .454 and the bore was just shy of .452

Last edited:
^ Why are you sizing round balls? They don't need sizing, if anything the balls should be larger than .452 because the bearing surface is so minimal with round balls.

I shoot .454's in my Redhawk and the throats on that are .452. No issues.

^ Why are you sizing round balls? They don't need sizing, if anything the balls should be larger than .452 because the bearing surface is so minimal with round balls.

I shoot .454's in my Redhawk and the throats on that are .452. No issues.
My rb's are .457, figured they may be more accurate a little bigger than bore size

My rb's are .457, figured they may be more accurate a little bigger than bore size
If the lead is soft, you'll be fine. It's an extra .0015" of soft lead being squeezed by a chamber throat on both sides and the bearing surface will only be a fraction of an inch more than if you'd used .454 balls.

Picked one up a few weeks ago. Slight play (side to side) in the cylinder at full lock-up but otherwise not bad fit or finish for a sub 400 pistola. The paperwork that was included (for 44 Bulldog) made no mention of 45 or XL. There was a printed card that noted +P was acceptable.

There was a printed card that noted +P was acceptable.

Assuming we are still talking about the .45 Colt, there is no +P load standard recognized by SAAMI or anyone else. So, +P for this cartridge is in the eye of the beholder.

Don

I ran some 265gn WFN (LaserCast/Cast Performance) with 7.9gn Unique in my Bulldog - it does get a bit snappy at that point. I regularly shoot these bullets, and some 270gn SAA bullets in my Ruger Blackhawks with a much heavier charge and much less snap.

The best load I have for my Bulldog, so far, is GT Bullets 225gn HP with 7.0gn of Green Dot - fairly comfortable, very consistent, clean, and accurate. You do know you are shooting a 45, but with reduced drama. Gotta trim your brass down to a bit under 1.275 length when loading these.

Underwood has some great 44spl offerings , one being a 200gr WC ,
I called them about there 41 mag offerings and the Charter 41 mag , they said all their 41mag are within standard pressure..

I use a Glock 29 or 20 for woods carry ... But the 41mag Charter is interesting... I'd like to see it with a 3.5 inch barrel ...

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/cartridge_41-remington-magnum
Above is a link to 41mag UW ammo .. They have one hardcast that they state is to long for Taurus revolvers , so I'm sure it wouldn't function in the Charter ,,, but the 240gr hard cast LSWC looks promising...

Last edited:
I bought a 9mm Pitbull as a pistol my mother can keep with her, while I buy gasoline and explore the lavatories at the gas stations. I had a bent crane and Charter Arms fixed the gun for nothing, so they do stand behind their products, and their 9mm revolver is a great shooting little gun. I liked it so much I bought one in .40 S&W & .45ACP. That one in .40 is a little like shooting 357 from an Airweight J Frame. It wasn't unbearable, but those Charter Arms' budget soft plastic grips gave me a bunch of blood blisters, which I did not figure out where they came from for about 3 days. I'd have no problems carrying .41 Mag or .41 Special in a Charter Arms, let alone 45 Colt. I like their rimless cartridge system, because I am not a fan of moon clips. You can push 9mm, or .40 or .45 ACP out of any box magazine straight into the cylinder, rinse & repeat 4 more times, and go right back to shooting. It's a clever system. I am also amazed at how well those guns naturally point. I am not great with a snubnose, but I am more than adequate with their guns. I can't wait to see the 45! If it breaks, Charter Arms fixes or replaces it free of charge now, so.....

Back