New Charter Arms Revolvers (aka the .45 Colt Bulldog thread)

Why could they not use the .45 Auto rim??
Use he same frame as the .44 but use a higher strength steel for the cylnider.

The 45ACP is built on the XL frame due to the diameter of the 45 cartdridge....The 45 ACP and 45 auto rimmed both operate at a higher pressure than the 45 Colt

I emailed Charter ... No 10mm revolver is planned ..... They said the 10mm operates at to high of pressure ... for the XL frame ...

Why could they not use the .45 Auto rim??
Use he same frame as the .44 but use a higher strength steel for the cylnider.

I'm sure they could make a 45 auto rim revolver but the market for that would probably be even smaller than the market for the .41 caliber. The pitbull in 45 ACP solves the problem of needing clips or the use of a rim. I have 4 45 ACP revolvers (including a pitbull) and stick with moon clips so I can reload the same rounds for use in any .45 ACP gun

I'm sure they could make a 45 auto rim revolver but the market for that would probably be even smaller than the market for the .41 caliber. The pitbull in 45 ACP solves the problem of needing clips or the use of a rim. I have 4 45 ACP revolvers (including a pitbull) and stick with moon clips so I can reload the same rounds for use in any .45 ACP gun
Not to mention you can probably shoot .45 ACP without clips in those revolvers as they likely headspace off the case mouth. The only revolvers I know of that shot .45 ACP that don't do that are the Governor and the Ruger Redhawk.

If people really want a short .45 cartridge with its own rim, then I'd start looking into the viability of trimming .45 Schofield brass down to .45 ACP lengths.

I have a CA Bulldog .44 Special 2.5",made it my edc revolver.

Attachments

• 22365396_1488418041236933_1743780731485766979_n.jpg
    22365396_1488418041236933_1743780731485766979_n.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 114
Does anybody who is "in the know" or has spoken to Charter recently have any info on when the .41 Mag and .45 Colt revolvers are coming? It's been 6 months since I made this thread and I haven't heard anything about these revolvers since.

Most have no idea that the significant majority of hollow point .44 special ammo on the market will not reliably expand from the short 2.5" Bulldogs they cherish... sad.

I'll wager some .45 Colt loads will have issues, too.

Full wadcutters already mentioned in this thread are a good idea for these guns.

Most have no idea that the significant majority of hollow point .44 special ammo on the market will not reliably expand from the short 2.5" Bulldogs they cherish... sad.

I'll wager some .45 Colt loads will have issues, too.

With commercial loads/bullets, no doubt. For the guys that cast - no problem. The bullet on the left (the Keith 454423 in hollowpoint) expands easily at 800fps, which should be attainable with a 2.5 inch Bulldog in .45 Colt.

Don

attachment.php

I've had a dozen Charter Arms revolvers, 22-38sp-44sp. These are second rate
revolvers. Ok for people who are buying a house gun. I wouldn't want to depend
on one for CCW. The durability is not there.

Back