New Charter Arms Revolvers (aka the .45 Colt Bulldog thread)

I've had a dozen Charter Arms revolvers, 22-38sp-44sp. These are second rate
revolvers. Ok for people who are buying a house gun. I wouldn't want to depend
on one for CCW. The durability is not there.
Im down to 3 Charter Revolvers ..two Alumium frame 12oz 38spl & a 44Spl Bulldog . I've have owned Charter revolvers for the past 34 years ...
I have a reason a 12 oz 38 with a better out of box trigger than S&W J frames ... Best CS in the business ...

I've had a dozen Charter Arms revolvers, 22-38sp-44sp. These are second rate
revolvers. Ok for people who are buying a house gun. I wouldn't want to depend
on one for CCW. The durability is not there.
They're not Ruger's or Smith's, but these days not even Rugers and Smiths are Rugers or Smiths anymore. I do not like the .22's that Charter makes today, they look like crap, but I don't think they won't last, it's a .22. Same with .38's, at least the ones on a steel frame.

Even if they do have an issue, Charter will fix them no problem. Can't say the same for Smith and Wesson. Ruger everyone talks highly of, but the issue there is their revolvers shouldn't be getting sent back to them, same with Smith but the difference is Ruger doesn't take until the next blue moon to get your gun back.

American Eagle makes a 225gr jsp that shoots real nice out of my Blackhawk, if I dared to trust charter arms my life would be so simple, a pair of .45C and 380acp guns for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most have no idea that the significant majority of hollow point .44 special ammo on the market will not reliably expand from the short 2.5" Bulldogs they cherish... sad.

A 185 grn LSWCHP expands just fine when fired from a 2.5" BBL. Or you could load 200 grn DEWC's and care not about expansion.

Attachments

• 44 DEWC.jpg
    44 DEWC.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 40
Very impressed with the quality of my bobbed hammer Bulldog DAO stainless. Surprisingly accurate, and has held up well.
Looking forward to the 41 Magnum. A round that always interested me, but I have never owned.

I'm a few 100 rounds away from the 4,000 count through my newish CCW Bulldog. Other than the typical holster and wear marks it's still accurately lobbing fairly big chunks of lead down range with out a single hiccup...ever. Guess nobody told it that it was a cheap gun that shouldn't be shot a lot. Go figure.....I will not hesitate to buy another CA. A 41 or 45 long colt is.....interesting. Hmmmm

i called charter arms about 4 weeks ago and they told me it would be about 8 more weeks then before the 41magnum or 45 colt are released.

I could see a 41 mag working and kicking!!
I don not see how a 10mm with a hot load could possibly retain the bullet in the case unless a heavy crimp and a moon clip were used.:confused:

Sounds like lower priced version of a "Fitz special".
I am really wanting one of the Charters in 45 colt. I have an old lee mold that throws a 240 gr wadcutter that should work sell, and not to mention a Lyman 452423 mold. Or two .454 lead roundballs seated on top each other in the case(if one should see the need to repel borders).

Sounds like lower priced version of a "Fitz special".
I am really wanting one of the Charters in 45 colt. I have an old lee mold that throws a 240 gr wadcutter that should work sell, and not to mention a Lyman 452423 mold. Or two .454 lead roundballs seated on top each other in the case(if one should see the need to repel borders).
The double ball load is what I had in mind when Charter revealed this .45 Colt Bulldog. I bought a Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel years ago and it works well in that, but it's a heavy gun probably best suited for home defense and bear country. Still love that Redhawk, but the Charter is much smaller and lighter.

The two .45 ball load is very effective at any distance as the two balls will hit within an inch or two of each other. To increase spread at short distances, I put a .454 ball in the case and have a .451 ball stick a little less than halfway out of the case mouth. No need to worry about gas blowby, the .454 seals the bore, so the .451 isn't going to cause any leading issues. By doing this, I've been able to get a spread of about 2 inches at 10 yards.

...not to mention a Lyman 452423 mold.

Lyman 454423 HP clone on the left. Awesome!

Don

attachment.php

Back