Multiple rifles in the same caliber - what's the point?

I can understand not having the connections with you gramp's guns......a lot of folks are that way.

I was never fortunate enough to inherit any from a grandpa. I did inherit my grand mother's pistol and 22 rifle.

And, I have 5 different .30-06 rifles. One is my Dad's that he passed down to me. I will never sell any of them.

My plans are to have them ready to pass down to my descendants....kids and grandkids.

I did have a M700 years ago and got rid of it. No one could shoot it more than 4 consecutive shots. It hurt more than any rifle I have ever shot in any caliber.

I would like having a 742 for someone down the road.

I had rifles all differing caliber. I used to take them out for big family shoots.

It got to where it was a pain to find and keep up with all that different ammo.

I now have 4 rifles in 5.56/.223 everyone enjoys and can comfortably shoot that caliber.
One is set up for hunting, the rest are for fun/zombie/societal collapse/red dawn....lol jk.

Now I can sink money that used to be spent on ammo on rifle parts for new builds

I'm a bit lost in the dialog. 30 is the caliber. 30-06, 308, 30-40 Kraig, 300 Win Mag, 30-30 are all different cartridges but they are all 30 caliber.

I have a 22 LR, a 221 Remington Fireball and a 223 Remington. All the same caliber shooting the same diameter bullet but very different cartridges and very different guns used for very different purposes.

have 4 bolt guns in .308 Win, a lever, and 3 semis
bolt, lever and falling block .45-70
3 bolt guns in 7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser)
2 bolts and a semi in 7.62x54R
2 bolts in .303 British
2 bolts in 7.7mm Arisaka

have handguns and rifles with calibers in common, too

Also have numerous handguns in the same calibers. 8 in .45 Colt, for example. 5 in 9mm etc., ...what's the point?

To Celebrate DIVERSITY!!!
:D

To me it just depends on the gun and what I intend to use it for. I've never had a gun passed down to me. If I did, I would never sell it. I'd rather stay away from guns shooting the same cartridges but if the gun served different purposes I'd consider it ok.

I wouldn't advise either way, my choice was to not have any safe queens. I had 8 rifles, 5 which where 30-06, 2 30-30 's, and 1 .243. I gave my son the extra slick original Teddy Roosevelt, a nice bolt gun with a old 3x weaver scope, and a 1927 model WFC trapper 30-30 ( I got as a kid from a government trapper) sold the rest. I own 1 center fire rifle, probably my last new rifle, a Vanguard series 2 in a .270 win. It is the first .270 I have ever shot, only wished that I would have had it 40 yrs ago. Good Luck whatever you decide.

My father never met a 30'06 he didn't like. So, when he passed I inherited 18 of them. My FIL's passing added 3 more. I've kept the ones that have sentimental meaning and sold some of the others. Still leaves me with 15 though. I haven't shot one in 4 or 5 years, I just like my 7mm chamberings more. My problems is I want nice rifle I put my hands on.

A friend of mine has no less than 10 .30-06 rifles. Likely more, as his collection of guns is about 200 or so. I am not so prolific, of course, but I do have 4 .22 rifles. Along with doubles and triples of other items, different models of course, but like calibers. Don't have anything in .30-06 though-don't hunt, but would really love a Garand. If I did have 2 in '06, I'd likely keep them both, but that's just me.

"these were just his hunting rifles"......"nothing special"

That (above) is the very thing that makes them special. To some of us anyhow. If I had to save one rifle from my collection, it would indeed be the one with which Grandad hunted.

Some folks attach a greater value to the sentiment and emotion connected to items, and I'm one of them. I often look upon an old rifle (or shotgun) and wonder about the previous owner, make some speculations based on its condition and nature. Wouldn't it be something to see all the deer that scarred firearm has taken? How many misses? How many camps did it see, how many campfires? And the "hunt", that act that has come down through my family from generation to generation, to land on me and now bamaboy too, deepens those feelings considerably. And to have all that attached to a firearm that one is connected to by blood......the gun takes on its own personna.

But some folks are not wired that way. Also, like it or not, our culture (dare I say my culture) is changing. I cannot imagine not hunting, but lots of folks don't. I suspect we've all seen "family" guns come into a shop, or get sold away in some manner or another. And I realize that a money problem can be to large to ignore, and firearms offer a quick source of real money if sold. And there are usually plenty of buyers.

I better get back on track. Regards the OP concerning same caliber/different rifles. Pretty common as other replies have noted. The advantage of a fast repeat shot in some hunting situations as offered by the semi is obvious. A bolt rifle may offer greater accuracy. Down here, its not uncommon for a hunter to use one rifle while still/stalk hunting, or hunting with deer dogs (still legal in some areas) and another when in a stand or shooting house.

["these were just his hunting rifles"......"nothing special"
That (above) is the very thing that makes them special.]

And Grandpa was "just an old man who gave me stuff at Christmas"
I have some very special guns that belonged to Dad but literally nothing of Grandpa's(guns or otherwise) other than an appreciation of the outdoors and a family heritage.

Now, about the multiple guns per caliber.
I have multiples of every caliber I own except the "specialty use" selections(220 Swift, 257 Wby, 338/06, and 7mm Rem mag). 30/06? I can't even give an exact count of those w/o doing a head count.

The guy explained that he is keeping the ones important to him and selling the ones that aren't, why continue to ask why he would sell the guns and continue to suggest that he keep the ones that he doesn't care about?

Why people use "need" and "gun" in the same sentence I will never understand. I have never needed any gun, but I have owned hundreds and cannot recall any time when owned less than 30.
Some I have no idea why I bought them or if I will use them but I like them. That is the reason I own any gun. I like it.

steveNChunter
But since it was your grandfather's, it's a family heirloom and therefore should never, ever, ever be sold. Just my 2 cents

Ditto. I have a safe full of guns. I also have a few firearms which will never be sold. My father's Rem 760 '06 pump. An old single barrel 12ga hammer gun which my mother can remember every since she was little; it protected the chickens. A .410 bolt gun that I killed my first peasant, quail and rabbit with.
The price for any of them is more than you have.. :D

Wow

I've got quite a few duplicates and although most are just biding their time in the ole gun safe they still are very much loved! As for inheriting them, I simply can't imagine selling something I inherit. There's just something about it. I wish my PaPaw had left me with a gun or two. If he had I would've kept it or both of them and would've taken care of them like they were my most precious possessions.

Multiples for me & my son

Several pairs in 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser and 30-30, so there is never any ammo mistakes and makes packing easier. Works like a charm :D

Back