Multiple rifles in the same caliber - what's the point?

At one stage in my life, I owned two SMLE rifles, both in .303 British of course. One, a Lithgow, I had scoped for hunting or open F class competition. The other I kept in original condition save for (reversible) fitting of target rear peepsights. It was all about the application. I'd already had to re-stock the scoped one (first stock broke), so I didn't feel bad about altering it from the original, but the other was British, already pushing 100 years old, halfway round the world from home, and had almost certainly seen service in at least one world war and possibly both. No way I was getting that one drilled and tapped.

I would do exactly as you mention. Sell the 742 and use it to make the 700 what you want. Maybe a nice scope or whatever it needs.

Beezer said:
I have 2 Remington 30-06's. One is a 700 bolt action and the other is a 742 Woodsmaster semi-automatic.

I inherited both these guns from my grandfather.

I'm fairly new to gun ownership and shooting.

Is there a good reason for keeping 2 guns of the same caliber ?

Because it's more about the guns, & not so much about the ammo - although the commonality of a chambering makes life easy.

Most people wouldn't necessarily prefer to use the same rifle hunting in thick woods as for long range shooting in the open. There is really no reason to use different chamberings. The same rounds that work best for long range shots work best in the woods too. Having 2 rifles set up very differently, but in the same chambering really makes more sense than 2 rifles in different chambergs. It simplifies ammo purchasing or loading.

In that case, sell the 742 before it breaks, take that money and buy a lighter, shorter rifle in a smaller caliber short action chambering. For example, a Remington model 7 in .243 win

That would make a nice compliment to the .30-06 and would give you two distinctly different rifles.

I guess I'm different than most folks... I would never get rid of a gun that was passed down from my grandfather... It's kind of a tradition to pass guns down from generation to generation. Just my .02

I have a 760 and a 742, both in 30-06. One from my father, and the other from my grandfather. I also have 3 30/40 Krags. One from grandpa, one from dad, and one I bought at a gun store. I did enherit both their collections. To me, all of their rifles are priceless!

Logistics.

Why stock reloading supplies for two calibers when one would do instead?

This is why I have:
2 30/30's
2 308's
2 25/06's
2 22/250's

Basically why add another caliber to the mix when I can just add another gun and shoot the same ammo?

This is why in pistols I do the ".357" range:
380 auto
9mm
38 super
38 Special
38/44 HS
357 Magnum
357 Maximum
357 Automag

Lot easier to buy one caliber of bullet that can be used multiple ways and times.

I have 23 guns now and all 23 are either 22lr, 12ga, 45-70 or 357 magnum. It makes stocking up on ammo much easier.

I only need to reload 3 different types (cant reload 22) I also have 2 suppressors one in 22lr other in 45-70

I have 4 45-70

1. Marlin SBL
2. IMI BFR
3. Uberti Sharps reproduction
4. Marlin cowboy

I have 7 22lrs

1. Tac-Sol SBX rifle
2. Winchester 1902 single shot
3. Walther P22
4. Ruger 45/22
5. NAA mini revolver
6. Ruger 10-22
7. Uberti single action 22 revolver.

I have 3 12ga

1. Remington 870
2. Browning auto (cant remember the number)
3. Taylor 1887 (going to make it in to an SBS with a form 1)

I have 9 357 magnums

1. Coonan Classic
2. Deringer
3. S&W 640
4. Marlin lever action 16.5 inch barrel.
5. S&W 686
6. Ruger Vaquaro
7. S&W 627
8. Rossi lever action 92 (24 inch barrel)
9. Uberti 1873

I believe that is all of them.

I still want a 45-70 Derringer, Ruger bolt action 357, a lever action 22lr, 1873 trapper in 357, a double barrel 12ga. 357 magnum suppressor. I would also love a semiauto 357 magnum carbine if one existed. I would love a 45-70 gatling gun as well but those are so expensive.

Last edited:
I only need to reload 3 different types (cant reload 22) I also have 2 suppressors one in 22lr other in 45-70

I have 4 45-70

1. Marlin SBL
2. IMI BFR
3. Uberti Sharps reproduction
4. Marlin cowboy

I have 7 22lrs

1. Tac-Sol SBX rifle
2. Winchester 1902 single shot
3. Walther P22
4. Ruger 45/22
5. NAA mini revolver
6. Ruger 10-22
7. Uberti single action 22 revolver.

I have 3 12ga

1. Remington 870
2. Browning auto (cant remember the number)
3. Taylor 1887 (going to make it in to an SBS with a form 1)

I have 9 357 magnums

1. Coonan Classic
2. Deringer
3. S&W 640
4. Marlin lever action 16.5 inch barrel.
5. S&W 686
6. Ruger Vaquaro
7. S&W 627
8. Rossi lever action 92 (24 inch barrel)
9. Uberti 1873

That is an awesome collection. I am suprised though at the lack of a flat shooting rifle such as a 30-06 or even a 308.

I think my father was like you. He had lots of guns but very few calibers. I remember 12ga 45acp and 30-06 though he may of had a few more. While I love the idea and see a real benefit to it I dont think I could limit my self like that.

It simplifies ammo purchasing or loading.

I have two 308s and plan on getting at least 2 more . One is a 24" 13lb heavy barreled target rifle . The other is a 6-1/4lb sporter hunting rifle . My plan is to get a AR-10/M&P-10 and a 20" medium to heavy contour bolt action for a target and hunting combo rifle . The last one would be the least important to me and I'd likely buy many other guns before it .

I load my own and I love the idea of only needing one size of brass , primers , powder etc ( if you had too ). I'm not only Liking the 308 cartridge I plan to stay in the 308 case family . I have every intension of buying a 260 Rem bolt gun and maybe a 338 Federal AR platform semi . All use the 308 case .

I never inherited any fireams, I would treasure them if I did. Multiple guns in the same caliber ? Like having 2 autombiles, or a car and a truck. I own a dozen bicyles, they all function in the same basic way, but each has its own feel.

Very much so. I grew up with guns like many others here. But hunting was mostly something I did with my father. That time out on a deer lease together was magic time for me, it was forever special. Keep those guns until it's time to let them go. Look for a way to create that special time with someone you love, it'll be worth it, I promise.

I have several guns of the same caliber, but with different design advantages. I have a couple of my grandfather's guns as well, which are sacred family heirlooms. I wouldn't dream of selling them, even if they could be considered redundant or "obsolete". :rolleyes:

Because 2 is 1 and 1 is none

I generally subscribe to this principle myself.

There's no disadvantage to having a backup, whether its a pistol or long gun.

I have 2 AR15's in the same caliber, but configured differently for different purposes. The main advantage is that they use the same caliber (obviously), magazines, and parts. If one breaks down or get lost/stolen, you are not left out in the cold without a backup.

Back