Multiple rifles in the same caliber - what's the point?

I know a dedicated prairie dog shooter in South Dakota that owns 3 rifles in .223 which he takes for an all day shooting event. When one barrel gets hot he switches to the next one and so forth. This makes sense to me.

Sometimes guys use a certain rifle just for certain situations. I know a guy who has a lever action 300 Savage for big game and a Remington 700 Classic also in 300 as his investment rifle. Value has kept up with inflation quite nicely and its a beautiful factory custom rifle.

Jack

I have 3 308's.

Ruger Gunsite
Ruger American
Springfield M1A

They all have there purposes, and its easy to buy bulk ammo. Stocking up on multiple calibers gets old.

And to backup what everyone else has already said, I would never sell a Gun a my Grandfather gave to me. If you are tight for money, sell the 700. You can always replace it. You can never replace "grandpas" gun. I bet there a lot of stories with that gun.

I have 3 .22's and a double barrel 20 gauge from 1 grandpa, and 1 12 gauge pump from another.

They will go to my children or grandchildren along with the guns I hang on to that I have bought.

I see nothing wrong with having multiple firearms in the same caliber. It's actually a good idea for folks who like to reload and/or only have to keep a few kinds of ammo on hand.

That said, I'm with those who say sell the 742. It's one thing to have a few heirloom guns -and it sounds like you're still going to have at least 3- but it sounds like you've set aside the ones that have sentimental value and these are the extras. You're not going to have any regrets selling this one, and it sounds like it's not going to be a long-term reliable firearm anyway.

It's an especially good idea since you'd be using the funds to make the 700 into a gun you might shoot more often.

I was recently in the same boat. I received from my grandfather

Mossberg 190 16 ga bolt action
Savage 22 auto
1920's Savage 22 bolt (possibly his boyhood gun)
Savage Springfield bolt action .22
Llama .22
Beretta 84BB

I could have kept them all because of inheritance, but I didn't. The Mossy and the Savage 22 auto went right off to the LGS consignment. I'm not going to miss them, and I've still got 4 of his guns to pass on to my kids someday.

Inheritance is all well and good, but culling the herd is a good idea.

That 742 is obsolete and will break at some point and will then be economically unfeasible to fix. Without any sentimental attachments I would sell it or give it away to another family member.

I would not call a 742 obsolete.

For the shooter whos puts 1000's of rounds down the tube a year, it is.

For the average deer hunter who maybe put 20 rounds through it a year, it is a great rifle.

I have many friends who have had their 740's, 742's and 7400's for 30+years still kill more deer than most.

Guns are like women ... all the same ... and everyone is unique. Seriously, no insult intended to our female members. I have a bunch of .308's/7.62 X 51's. Some are sporters, but most are target rifles (Parker Hales, Model 70's, Model 700's, Mausers, etc.) Why? because each is unique in its own way.

I would not call a 742 obsolete.

It is only obsolete in the point that you can no longer find key parts or people willing to fix them. From a utility standpoint very few guns are obsolete.

Multiple guns in the same caliber are fine, you could scope and shoot different ammo in each and have two distinct uses. Also, it's a nice way to enjoy different types of firearms without the expense of stocking up on different calibers. And being your Grandpops I would certainly keep both.

Multiple guns in the same caliber are fine, you could scope and shoot different ammo in each and have two distinct uses. Also, it's a nice way to enjoy different types of firearms without the expense of stocking up on different calibers.

I have a bolt, lever and semi rifles in the same caliber. They are each special in their own way. I have a semi-automatic pistol and a revolver in the same caliber that are also special in their own way. I don't understand why anyone would even ask.

I have lots of '06 rifles.

What's the point? I signed up for the CMP GSM OK Games this next April.

I'll shot the Garand in the Garand Match
The M1993a3 in the Springfield Match
The M1917 in the other Vintage Military Match
and the Model 1903A4 in the Vintage Sniper Match.

I'm still debating whether to shoot my Vietnam Clone M70 sniper rifle in a 1000 yard match this summer. Also in '06.

All the same caliber.

This post did remind me I don't have an '06 hunting rifle, now I got to find another Model 70 action.

I wouldn't sell either of them. I still have Dad's 742 even though it hasn't been shot in years. I just get it out and oil it once in awhile and it makes me think of Dad and the fact that it was his go to gun for 25 years. Similarly, I have all my Grandfather's old shotguns and one of his service revolvers (my brother has the other one), most of which don't get shot much, but they have a history.

I'll add this as well, even if it wasn't for the family connection, I would still keep them both. I used to trade around and sell guns quite a bit, and I can only think of a couple of guns that I don't regret getting rid of. You would be better off to save a little money along to outfit the 700 to your liking rather than selling the 742 to finance it. 742s are pretty good old rifles but they don't bring the money that they used to, at least around here, so any financial gain will be negligible. Your money and your guns, so it's your call, but that's my 2¢.

I can see multiple rifles in one caliber. You may have a very $$$$ gun you might not want to hunt with in the rain so you have a beater or brush gun for different terrain.

A centerfire competitive shooter could easily have 6 or more rifles all chambered for the .308 Win.

A 6 pound hunting rifle with a 2 pound trigger.

A 12-pound NRA match rifle with a medium weight 26 inch 1:11 twist barrel and clip guide to use in rapid fire matches as well as slow fire matches with 168 and 190 grain bullets using a 1-pound trigger.

A 13.5 pound single shot Palma rifle with a 1:13 twist 30 inch barrel for 155-gr. bullets and a 3.5 pound trigger.

A 15-pound free rifle for international 300 meter matches with a heavy 26 inch 1:12 twist barrel for 168-gr. bullets using a 4 ounce trigger.

A 9 pound M1 Garand used in NRA and CMP service rifle matches with its 4.5 pound trigger.

A 10-pound tactical rifle with a supressor and a detachable magazine for use in special matches for such rifles.

Several trophy rifles won in matches all chambered for the .308 Win.

Multiple rifles in the same caliber - what's the point?
Because a BM59 Alpini doesn't do the same things as an FNAR well ;). I'd say barrel length/weight differences (and maybe stock configuration) legitimately press barrels into different and otherwise incompatible roles.

A ZB37 also doesn't do the same things a VZ24 does well, either :D

TCB

I have two of each caliber I own. Why? For many reasons but two come to mind. Most of the guns in any caliber are duplicates because if one goes down the other is available and parts are interchangeable so I can keep atleast one running. May never happen, but who knows. Secondly if I like a particular gun, rifle, pistol, shotgun, I like the idea of having more than one. As someone said, two is one and one is none. Besides, as long as I can I will have more than one. What is better looking, a rifle rack with one or a full rack that allows choices for every occasion. A rack full of leverguns is a thing of beauty, add in a couple of double barrel coach guns, put on a good John Wayne movie and sit back and enjoy. Can't do that with one lonely rifle. Rifles need friends, too.:)

I know many people who have a a couple of guns in the same calibre. Why?? First, it is good to have a backup in case your gun malfunctions on an out-of-town hunt. Also if someone in your family or a friend needs to borrow one, you're not forced to forced to loan out your main gun. Also just needing to stock one type of ammo is nice!!

Back